Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

Pay Attention to the Cracked Streets and the Broken Homes

“Some call it the slums. Some call it nice.” Billie shrugged as the rundown neighborhood of Berkeley was going by. Dim lights in random windows of trailer houses lines up orderly in a trailer park with Children's toys in the front yard. A pink tricycle on it's side, toys left to rust in the sun in front yards choked in weed lawns. I nodded and understood fully what he was getting at. From our point of view, it looked like the slums, but I suppose that if you lived there, and had nowhere else to go, you'd think it was pretty damn amazing. 

Checkers sat near the edge of the car. Panting while wind whipped his fur in random directions and the sound of the wind around the car was the only sound breaking the silence. It tossed my hair, as much as it could while me and Billie stood on the edge of the car as well. Berkeley has better neighborhoods then this one, or others in the area. I've never been to Berkeley as far as I know. But still, it was just as fascinating as any other city I suppose.

“Can you imagine living somewhere like that?” I asked. I hadn't meant it as an insult. Just trying to imagine what that'd be like... To live there.

He shrugged “I've seen a lot of neighborhoods like that one in Rodeo. They aren't too uncommon I suppose. But I guess it would be odd living day to day without any money.”

I nodded in agreement. Trying to visualize myself in a place like that. Let's just say it wasn't much of a challenge. I could see myself, living day to day as Billie had said. Sleeping on the box springs of an old second hand mattress on the floor while a cheap black and White television sits on a stool and the cords plugged into an outlet with the cords hanging out and the ceiling light a lightbulb hanging from the socket wrapped in electrical tape and the walls are a bland white with boric wooden floors and windows that are far too small to let in much light and end up being depressing. Living in a neighborhood of crime all your life, I suppose you wouldn't notice these problems with your living styles. But from someone who comes from a middle neighborhood (Not to rich, not too poor) I suppose you'd notice only a few of these issues.

The train slowed down noticeably at a crossing guard and without a word, Billie once again scooped up Checkers and signaled for me to jump first and he jump after me. Letting go of Checkers before he hit the ground and stumbled multiple steps before falling headfirst towards the ground. I laughed drunkenly as I pulled myself off the ground into a sit. Dusting the dirt and bracken off my shirt. Checkers jogged over to me and licked my face.  I laughed and stood up, stumbled a bit before helping Billie to his feet too.

“So where are we going now?” I grinned at him. 

Realization set into his expression “I seriously did not think this through...” he sighed And ran a hand through his blue hair,

“What?” I asked warily

“That train was our ride home...” he said slowly. We'd have to find another way home. Bu for right now, we could enjoy our time in Berkeley. Hell we mitt even like it here.

I sighed and chuckled a little bit before grabbing my hand and leading me through the darkness under a canopy of trees. Where we were going I have no idea. We walked into a sleeping trailer park that we had viewed from the tracks. We walk out the front gates and follow the dark, street light clad streets to no place in particular. The events of tonight replay in my head: I ignore them though and just enjoy being here in Berkeley. We found a playground in the middle of town. The squeaky swing sets moving slightly in the breeze as Billie skipped merrily towards them and forced me to sit down in one seat while he takes the one beside me. But he has to make this a hundred times harder doesn't he? He reaches over greedily and takes my hand so we can hold hands as we swing. It was eventful... To say the least.
We ended up falling out backwards and hitting the ground knocked all the air out of our lungs. We were trying to force breathless laughs as we laid there. Staring up at the stars. I didn't feel like I had too much to worry about right now. 

Just dream about tomorrow and forget tonight: forget ourselves and lay here star watching for hours. I'm up for that.

And we did, to my sheer enjoyment, I laid there on the browning grass beside Billie an we stared up. Picking out the little dipper, big dipper an Pegasus. I couldn't see anything else up here except a great mixture of milky ways and little shapes I could make out myself but not much else. And eventually I did fall asleep, resting my head upon Billie's chest, 

I woke with a start. Uncertain what time it even was. Billie was still there of course. But he had moved away from me. He had his back to me. Sitting on a swing creaking in the breeze that tossed the leafs above. I noticed the familiar notebook sprawled out in his lap. Writing songs again. I chuckled quietly and pulled myself up into a sit. I was glad I'd brought my jacket now, I'd probably be freezing right now had I not. Checkers was asleep too. His leather leash tied in a knot around the base of the arch of the swing set. I smiled and sat there, I leaned my head back to look up at the stars again, it seemed now that I could not get enough of the stars. I could just sit and gawk at them for hours. To be honest, I'm fascinated with them.

I stood up and stretched. Then walked over and stood behind Billie and looked down at the book in hid lap and read the title. It glowed in the light from a distant street lamp. 

'Why do you want him?” I read.

I already had  a pretty good idea who it was about. But I could read the first verse over Billie's shoulder anyways.

‘I saw you standing alone. With a sad look on your face. You Call him on the phone. Looks like he left you without a trace. Tears falling out of your eyes. He's living in a disguise You've been feeing bad for so long you wonder if it's right or wrong. 

Why do you want him? Why do you want him?

Now many days have gone by and you still just sit there and cry. You're feeling bad for yourself. His memory will always dwell. You're so obsessed with his love. That's why push came to shove. You've been feeling bad for so long. You wonder if it's right or wrong.’

“So do you like it?” he asked suddenly without turning to face me. It tells me that he knew I was there all along.

I am kind of speechless about it to be honest “I love it Billie.” I whispered

His laugh is harsh “You're not supposed to love it. You're supposed to sympathize me..” his grin turns evil.

I cock an eyebrow “I'm sorry?...”

He laughed. I the way I know though. “Don't worry about it. Hey we should probably head home eh?” he stood up stretching and takes my hand and leads me across the street to a 24 hour gas station on the corner to phone Mike to come pick us up in Berkeley.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo ok, chapter twenty something is up!.., ;)
Xoxo