Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

Coming Clean

We could only hide so long before everyone started coming back. Mike and Tré, Ollie- Alone. And a cop who was dealing with my license for my release from the hospital, of course he was an evidence hound and asked me every possible question about the entire attack. 

I pretended to break down a few times so I only answered the questions he needed to know before he patted me on the back, assured I'd be fine and said to Ollie that that would be all for today. And he thanked her more quietly for taking me in when she didn't have to. Speaking of letting in stray dogs... Hmm.

I just wanted to avoid people in general except Billie. He sat here chatting to me about concerts he had been to at Gilman and a story about a concert, Operation Ivy I believe, how he went to their concert and the security guards refused to let him in. So when Op Ivy caught wind of the little tangle of one of their close friend's. They personally escorted him into the venue. He also told me other stories like on drunken nights, on three previous occasions, Tré had set his pants on fire... I couldn't stop laughing after Billie mimicked Tré's horror scream.

He told me about how he had met Mike. He had heard of this boy how had multiple detentions in the same week because of various pranks pulled on teachers. He was pure evil and joy all bottled up in one at the age of fifteen when he had met Billie. Maybe Bill had calmed him down a little when they met...

Then of multiple embarrassing childhood stories he had. My life is still foggy but I told him what I could remember. It seems the more I think about them, the more I can remember.

Ollie hid in her room when we entered the house again after a couple hours of hanging out in garage.
We watched TV for about an hour. Watching Scooby-Doo until she emerged from the room down the hall from mine. She looked... Different. I couldn't pick what it was but I avoided eye contact while she drifted to the kitchen and drifted out back to her room with a glass of water. Almost in a daze like sleep walking. I shrugged and watched TV some more.

It was nearly twelve when I had fallen asleep on the couch. I woke late around ten in my bedroom with light piercing the purple curtains like it does every morning. The house was quiet, which was a rare occasion. I was curious as I pulled a faded pair of jeans on and white halter top and headed down the hall. The living room and kitchen vacant and I couldn't hear the sound of Tré banging on his drums in the garage. It was utter silence, and this I was not used to. I looked in all the rooms and suspected I was alone, finding the note on the kitchen table only confirmed it. Billie had written it.

‘Adeline, 
I left today with Tré and Mike. We went to meet up again with Larry Livermore. Well be back around five. Stay out of trouble.

Love you, see you later,

Bill’

I smiled, but it didn't change how empty I felt. I looked behind me and saw Checkers. He cocked his head as he looked up at me. I smiled sadly at him and folded the note And slipped it into my pocket as I approached. I knelt before him. Ruffling his fur and smiling at him. He is one of the few things that keep me happy in this household anymore.

I picked up his leash on the decision to take him for a walk since by the looks of it, we had the whole day alone. I found another note, this time pinned to the front door. It was written by Ollie.

‘Billie, I'm gone for the day handling some things. I'll be back late tonight. Love you
Ollie.’

I left that note where it was and led Checker's out the front door where the sun warmed the air and I felt instantly happy, though lingering on being lonely still. Billie could have waken me and I'd have gladly gone with him. But he is such a sweetheart that he'd just let me sleep while he handled his business. 

Before I knew it, I was looking around myself at my surroundings and recognized the familiar glittering sand of the beach I'd been to on a few occasions. Always accompanying Billie though. I approached the soft surf and stood there in my now traditional Chuck's. I looked up, seeing the early morning sun. Actually near afternoon sun. Regardless though.

I heard crushing sand behind me and turned around and saw the familiar face of Tim Armstrong. He waved as he approached. He stood quite taller then me but he had a goofy smile and actually had this older brother essence to him. I smiled back.

“You coming over to Gilman?” he asked cheerfully. I looked up Main where I knew it was somewhere.

I shrug “Billie isn't with me today.”

He nods “You could come hang out with me and my band.”

I think about it for a second before nodding “Yeah. Sure that'd be great.”

“But your dog would have to stay outside.” he bargained the price of his presence and company.

I raise my eyebrows “Ha, no way. We are a package deal.” I grin while kneeling beside Checkers and planting a kiss on his cheek. He barked at Tim.

Tim rolls his eyes playfully. “Yeah sure ok. I'll work something out with Yohannan.”

I grin and stand up. Tugging on his leash, leading him up out of the sand onto the boardwalk which would lead us to Main Street.

Tim worked out some things with the Gilman owner. And we sat in their usual spot with his band mates slash friends. They drank pop and played a couple hands of cards while joking with each other. I joined in on a few of the conversations and laughed a lot in a few hours. It was noon when I'd been awaken from my stupor of joyous laughter. Billie burst through the doors.

“Adeline!” he shouted. Running toasted me and grabbing my arm. 

“Whats wrong Billie?” I ask. Trying to get him to calm down before he has an episode.

“It's Ollie.” he gasped. Grabbing me bad half rung towards the door, we hopped into the back of Tré's truck as Mike veered off onto the road that went north. I gripped the side of the truck with white knuckles. Billies pained face unreadable as we drove. Wind tossing our hair in utter silence. 

We pulled over suddenly and hopped out of the truck. I recognized Larry Livermore getting out of the truck cab as well. What was going on? I left Checkers in the truck and chased after the others as we ran onward and squirmed under a loose chunk of chain link fence surrounding a mass collection of warehouses and a foul smell filled the surrounding air. I could tell we were at the refinery. I chased after them through the maze. The clatter if converse against the cement as we ran. They all jerked to a halt and I could hear Billie yelling at everyone as I rounded the building. Billie waved a note in front of Mike's face.

“I knew that fucker would pull something like this!” he yells.
“And goddammit we don't even know where in the hell he fucking is! Dammit Mike you said these coordinates led us here!” he shouts. Before frustratedly reading the note again in a anxious form. Before shoving it into Mike's hands and tearing off behind another building. I took off after him trying to keep up to him but he quickly lost me and none of the others had followed. I stood alone in the shadows of some shipping containers. I look around myself while spinning in a circle. Congratulations stupid, you managed to get yourself lost. I began jogging in the general direction I believed Billie to have gone. I watched around myself, constantly casting glances over my shoulder since I didn't know what we were up against. I kept going and saw a metal door set ajar and walked up to it slowly. Pushing it open and let my eyes adjust to the sudden darkness a little before pushing on. I walk inside and shut the door quietly behind me. I could see a black catwalk in the shadows above me. I heard creaking on them above but couldn't locate the source. I ducked behind some crates and watched all around myself. I know I'm not alone. So who is it? Billie? Ollie? A refinery worker maybe? I look around myself when a big spotlight comes on and floods the shadows with light. The beam is focused on the center of the room. Almost blinding to look into I see the outline of a chair I the light. But something else too, someone tied up? I step out of the shadows and walk one step forward before the blinding white light washes over me. 

“Adeline! Nice to see you again...” he says. And I recognize the voice as my murderer. The man in the shop. Back to finish the job? But why here? What does he have to do with anything?

“I really hate when my prey gets away.” he growled and my head snaps over and I can focus on where he hides. I watch as the casual figure approaches. But I quickly recognize it as Brad.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well I did some major editing to this chapter. Originally was going to have her get lost on the trail and pinned by a boulder or something like that but hey, I think Adeline has been to the hospital enough ;)
I'm posting two chapters today instead of one because I was unseating over this part so was writing until elevenish last night, hope you like them!