Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

Dance Forever, Under the Lights

I felt extremely fussed over as I became the human guinea pig for Hollie and Anna to dress up. They had come home exclusively for tonight and hell, I can blame Ollie for this one. I crossed my arms tightly across my chest as they dabbed eyeshadow and foundation all over my perfectly clear skin. They powdered my cheeks with blush and I looked nothing like myself. I explained to them earlier how I usually do my makeup. But that went in one ear and out the other. They squealed with joy as I was seated in front of the vanity in my room sitting in a baggy grey t-shirt and night shorts while my hair was piled in a knot on my head while they did makeup. I closed my eyes and pouted my lips when they demanded the action and it was all over soon enough. They washed my hair all out and made it into a mass of loose curls around my heart shaped face. They pulled the dress from the closet. And laid it across the bed. I laughed at my own joke as I imagined Checkers sniffing it suspiciously and barking at it before hiding under the bed. My face saddened when I realized that wouldn't be happening. I stood up and they helped me into the dress given my still bandaged condition. Given I'd only broken my ribs two days before they were still plenty sore but still I wanted to wear this dress. I had been looking forward to this dance since Billie had invited me. Only then I'd been really nervous about it. but now I don't think I could be scared of much.

They laces up the corset like lacing in the back. The dress would have otherwise been backless and it had this weird punk like quality to it. I loved it for it's uniqueness. I didn't want to wear heels with the dress though, even though it had originally been planned on. Because it required balance and moving your torso just right to get that balance. And with my ribs, all that balancing may not feel as good at the end of the night. So Hollie snorted at my request to wear my Chucks since I had worn them through every serious situation I'd been through with Billie. So it seemed only fair to me to wear them tonight. At the highlight of our relationship and togetherness.  She got down and tied them onto my feet and they each latched their arms with mine like bridesmaids as we traversed the hall and into the living room where Ollie stood with a camera to snap my entry. Mike and Tré retrained Billie and were forcing him to face the south wall. Ollie readied the camera to get the picture of his reaction when he turned around. Everyone did a count sown as I blushed and looked down at my feet. 5,4,3,2,1,0!

He spun around so quick you'd think someone had snacked him. His eyes widened, he didn't know I'd gotten this dress for the dance. I'd never shown it to him and now he was in utter joy as he knelt before me. 

“Whoa, was not expecting that.” he says with a grin. I look him over. He is wearing a black tux with red tie. His blue hair all smoothed back into a gentleman look for the pictures. I let Ollie snap a few before reaching up and ruffling his hair into the Billie i know and love. He smirks at me as he kneels before me. A blush fairly prominent on his cheeks as he fastened the white rose corsage to my dress. 

Alan, Dave and Marci had also come back to see their littlest brother going to his first dance with his first girlfriend. Everyone laughed as I blushed deeper when he pinned a kiss on my cheek. I smiled and turned around to face him.

“Seriously Armstrong? That's all you've got?” I smirked before leaning in and kissing his lips. Of course I am one hundred percent sure or the effect I have on him. He is whipped. I laughed with everyone else as we headed out the door. It was eight and the dance was at his old school. In the courtyard. He was telling me about how fancy it was since it was an ex mansion or something like that. Larry had offered to drive us, he had been at the house when we said our goodbyes. He hangs around a lot with Ollie. Excuses it as the fact that he likes her cooking. But if there is any kind of relationship blooming there, I hope it works out for her, Larry is a good guy. Especially for her.

We sat in the front seat together of his old Chevy pickup and he dropped us off. Billie assured him we could walk home. Or catch a ride on the midnight train. He nodded and we said goodbye. Walking through the front gates where the courtyard had Christmas lights in the trees. Music playing loudly and girls spinning around in beautiful dresses. I looped my arm with Billie's and hobbled along side him into the dance. I looked up around us. We dance through the remainder of the first song when Mike and Tré walked up to us. With their dates in tow. Mike's date was Brittany. And Tré was winging it, or to be blunt, trying to get the girls at the dance to sleep with him.

 We laughed together about the passes Tré was making on girls. He'd use those timeless pickup lines and he got smacked on three different occasions because of some of them. I laughed even harder at his bewildered expression and Billie had to calm me down because my ribs were starting to hurt. I grinned up at him and stifled a few more chuckles before heaving a content sigh and resting into his chest. Watching the dance move on in a blur around us. Time stops for no one. 

We went and stood with Mike for a bit and talked to him  and Billie broke away from the group to use the bathroom. I wandered around, looking at the beauty and familiarity of my school... I was supposed to graduate from here. So why didn't Billie ever notice me? It was a beautiful night out, couldn't see any stars though so I suspected there were clouds above.  The courtyard where the dance was being held had a cobblestone dancefloor. Plants everywhere the sky twinkled of deep blue. There were big tents lined up with food and the music systems in them. I was walking around in a almost desolate flowergarden. Unconsciously holding the guitar pick charm of my necklace in my hand as I walked and studied the flowers. 

I felt someone grab my arm and I reflexively jerked back: (something triggered by Brad maybe?...) I turned around and Billie grinned lopsidedly before guiding me back to the dance. I merely really leaned against him while we slow danced to every song. Fast or slow. I hummed along to the ones I knew and when the Beatles Twist and Shout came on, I calmed down my movements to a slight waltz. Billie kept up with my slow hobble easily and we danced together. I didn't take the time to look around myself and try to recognize any of the surrounding students. I hadn't come here for them after all. I'd come to dance with my favorite dude. He beamed proudly when he thought I wasn't looking and held me close to his chest. I could tell he was showing off to the jocks. Who stood by the music speakers in awe that a punk had gotten a date at all. Look at Billie's face and tell me honestly if it would be hard for Jim to find a date. I dare you.
We danced a little while longer to a few more songs until I eventually just lost count. 

Then the sky shattered with a rumble of thunder. Streamers of lightening spread out across the blue mass above and in a matter of seconds, drops of rain began to break free. All the other dancers tolerated it until it became a downpour. Even so I and Billie proceeded to shift slowly in a little circle with no music. Good thing they had the tents but they could ditch that stereo now there is one in the gym.

I rest my head on his shoulder and he can't see my face. 

“Don't you want to go inside?” he murmurs in my ear. 

“Hasn't anyone ever told you I enjoy dancing in the rain?” I giggle while proceeding to rest my head on his shoulder.

“Oh right, being up the memory of me almost getting hit by a car in the middle of a rain storm...” he says sarcastically.

I laugh “Yeah let's not.”

“Did I ever tell you I thought I was dying during the last two weeks?” I say after a couple moments. 

He paused paused for a and picked back up again as drops or water dripped off his nose, hair and cheeks. My hair and dress were equally soaked but we continued to dance with no trouble.

“You thought?... What happened, did you stop believing tabloids?” he snickered in my ear.

“When I left the hospital the doctor had been talking about me dying because of some kind of brain injury. Well now I know that it was because I was so hyped up on pain killers, I hallucinated the whole thing.” I say with a content sigh. The sound of rain splattering all around was actually quite relaxing.

“That's good.” he says and we dance for a few more minutes of silence.

“You know I've never said this to you... But I have been thinking about it a lot. Trying to be sure if it is right, and it is. I am certain of it.”

“What are you leading on about?” I smirk. 

He laughed “Adeline Elizabeth Stewart. I think I love you. Wait no... I know I love you.” he says with no trace of humor as he stares intensely into my eyes. I blink a few times to find I am crying.

“Oh Billie.” I say. Trying to focus on not letting my voice break “I love you too.”. 

I lean in and kiss him. It is the longest of the kisses we have shared. It is the most loving and means more then just a little peck. Saying you love someone means forever. And that's what we've got here... Forever.

We danced through the rain in celebratory of our confessions. I was happy. I can't remember being this happy at any other one in my life. He completes me. I complete him. And on that note; who knows how much more trouble we will get into together, how many more adventures we will go on. I am grateful for my memory of my past now, I can see who I was and who I am becoming. He has shaped me into someone new. But if I ever get lost or too far from myself. I can always remember who i am. I am happy I have made a name for myself. Because now people will remember me. Rather or not that's a good thing, I stand to believe that Billie saved me from living the repetitive lifestyle of every teenage girl. I smile and sigh contently into his chest as we danced for the rest of the night. I closed my eyes and listened to him quietly begin to hum the song I'd heard him singing on my first night at his house. He has never told me what it was called, but I like it. I think he knows that too. I would be perfectly happy in what is for now forever. Every relationship anyone has, they always expect it to last forever and they are already looking to the future. I... No, I just love living in the moment. A trade I picked up from Billie. My one and only.

And that's it. The story how how I met this blue haired psycho. I can't say we lived happily ever after after this. Because wells no one ever does. But we were something like that. Happy, life is simple. And we have each other.

... Oh well I guess I can throw in some finalism in here.

The end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well that was a fuck load of fun to write, just one more thing though, a final insight from Billie.