Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

To Find A Voice

I wasn't sure how it would effect the way I looked at Billie Joe as my best friend. But so far it hadn't changed: the only thing that had was the certainty I had in my own faith that I'd made the right decision.
He grinned as we slowed and reached the curb at the busier area of town where there were actually cars at the stoplights. I kept stealing side glances at him. Almost to be sure he was there and hadn't run off yet. Disappearing forever like everything else id already lost.
Billie rocked casually back and forth on his heels waiting patiently for the light to change. When it finally did, we crossed to the other side.
He stopped and pulled open an door. The soft chime echoed through the store. The tall girl at the register looked eagerly our way. Only to look disappointed. Apparently she had been hoping we were the next people in line for the shift after hers. She leaned on the counter watching the few people in the store. Picking up and looking at guitars. Ok, now I realize Billie must really like music and playing it well enough to believe I'd fathom the same interest in instruments. But in honesty, I did think they were neat. Having never touched one but looked at it very closly. Billie's one electric guitar was smothered in stickers of all colors. It was heavily worn. An yellowing pickguard and scratched sky blue body. It was an 'Fernades' according to the information Billie had filled me with days ago on his precious little treasure. He had offered once if id like to learn. But Im not really sure I'd have the brain power to remember all of that. But after looking over the guitar clad walls, it's become an maybe.
I watched with amusement, watching him obsess over guitars, which it didn't take an rocket scientist to say he didn't have enough for. I watched him as my expression became somber and sad. I don't really know why... But don't judge me.
It was already his life now, I cannot imagine what he'll be like in the next ten years when he has finally hit up fame with his band. I'll do my best to be here to see it. Without realizing it... I realized I had just made another promise.
Billie may not realize it. But I know what I've done.
I looked over to where Billie talked animatedly with an store clerk over an Les Paul. He looked down at the Guitar with profound joy.
“Can I plug it in?” he asked excitedly. The store clerk encouraged him with enthusiasm. Must be another guitar fanatic.
He hooked the amp up to the guitar jack. With an low snap. He adjusted the tone and volume knobs to what he saw fit and positioned an pick between his thumb and forefinger. He grinned and flung his wrist down across the strings. Causing an loud, smooth sound to echo through the store. He played more heavily as he got the hang of it. I just watched in un masked fascination as an group of other interested bystanders gathered around and watched him play. It was fabulous and one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. He played for about fifteen, unparalleled music filled minutes before e looked up again. Silencing the strings with his fingers and pulling the strap over his head. Dangling the guitar by it's neck. Revolving it around in the air to get an good look at it.
“You'll be an wonderful musician one day.” the store clerk said, clearly impressed. He gave him an pat on the back and walked back toward his post at the register where an customer was waiting.
Billie grinned, setting the guitar back onto the stand and loping across the small distance between us to crush me in an tight hug.
“That was amazing right?” he said. He panted with joy. I couldn't help but leach onto his ever glowing sunshine.
He looked out the front windows of the shop. Somehow, rain clouds had come out of nowhere. Small droplets of rain clung to the glass and streaked down to the ground when to many gathered in one spot. I turned to look back at Billie.
He smiled “We probably should head back for lunch. And be out of the storm.”
I nodded and followed him up front. He waved goodbye to everyone who had watched him play and boosted his guitarist career tempo.
The sidewalk was tie dyed with dark grey and white. The sun had momentarily disappeared. Behind the rain clouds. The drops of rain that fell from the sky when right to work soaking our hair and clothes. When my arms were wet, an breeze rolled down an thin alley. Chilling me to the bone. Billie's hand rested in mine as we walked back the street the way we had come. With my other hand, I violently rubbed my goosebumps on my arms. Billie looked over at me in concern. He of course, like an gentleman, offered me his jacket. But I passed up the golden opportunity to do that because the truth was that I really did enjoy the feeling of freezing rain drops falling on me.
As we walked, he looked across the street, where we'd have to cross the empty intersection to reach the opposite sidewalk to reach Billie's street.
The rain began to come down violently. That blinding kind of rain. Then, to make it worse... Drops of hail began falling like stones. Smacking against our heads. Billie, for some reason still thought I was beside him as he ran across the empty street, I stood on the sidewalk as an tan, rusty Toyota Corolla swung around the corner. It's windshield wiping violently. Smacking away the rain drops, didnt see Billie going leisurely across the road. I have to call to him! I need to find my voice, I thought as the car raced down the street at an illegal speed. If I cannot find my voice... Billie might die.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll try to get some more chapters up today. I hope it's going somewhere. Let me know xoxo