Luck

Nine.

Halloween went and passed without much fanfare on mine and Eva’s part. It wasn’t quite the holiday it was in the States, and we didn’t get any Trick-or-Treaters or even pass anybody in costume on our way back from dinner.

By the time I finished watching Lux the next day, I was tired and Halloween was mostly forgotten, though I had snagged a few pieces of Lux’s candy while she was napping. I wasn’t one for parties, but Halloween candy was one of my weaknesses.

It wasn’t too late when Lou returned, but I had been watching Lux since early that morning, and I was tired and Lux was glad to see her mother.

Lou walked me to the door, as she always did, Lux tagging along with one of her many stuffed animals in her hands.

“Thanks again, Savannah,” Lou said cheerily, “Tom and I are hosting a sort of barbecue thing tomorrow, just to let you know, and you’re invited.”

“I am?” The amount of surprise that sounded in my voice made it seem like I had never been invited to a party before.

“Why don’t you bring your roommate?” Lou suggested, “Eva, or whatever her name is. And before you say you’re not sure, I’m telling you to come. It will be fun!”

“You’re telling me to come?” I raised my eyebrow at her.

Lou nodded, with a teasing grin on her face, “As your boss, I am telling you to come to our party tomorrow. And I’m suggesting that your bring your roommate.”

“So am I coming to watch Lux, or…” I trailed off, not entirely sure if I wanted to know the answer.

“Of course not!” Lou laughed, “Lux’s cousins are coming, as well. She’ll be well entertained. I want you to come because the One Direction lads and their girlfriends will be there and I think you would get along well with them. You could use more friends.”

“I’m so glad you have so much faith in my social skills,” I rolled my eyes.

“I have faith in your social skills, Savannah, but I also feel bad because I’m always making you work. I figure the least I could do is introduce you to some potential friends.” Lou’s explanation made her comment sound kind, and as much as it pained me to admit it, I hadn’t really been forming any friendships. I had Eva, of course, and she would often drag me to events with her little group, but I didn’t feel as if I was fitting in as well as I could be. And while I had had a few more study dates with Brody, I wasn’t quite ready to label our relationship as anything other than study buddies.

“So you’ll come?” Lou asked me after I didn’t respond for a moment or two.

I bit my lip, “Yeah. Maybe. If I can get Eva to come with me.”

“Good,” Lou hummed, “I’m glad. It starts at noon, and goes till whenever. It’s a low-key barbecue sort of thing. Nothing to stress about.”

“Well, I’ll be there. Maybe.”

Lou let out her cheery laugh, “I’ll see you tomorrow, Savannah,” before shutting the door and leaving me to my own devices.

The commute home was easy and routine, but I was still tired by the time I arrived back at the flat. I opened the door to find Eva already home from her own job as a waitress.

“How was work?” Eva greeted me as I entered the flat. The curtains had already been closed and the lights were dimmed.

“It was good,” I told her warmly, “Uneventful.”

“What are your plans for tomorrow?” Eva asked me, lazily lounging on the couch. The telly was on, but muted, and there appeared to be some movie playing, “Because I was thinking we could hit up Oxford Street in the morning, maybe see if they have some deals on any leftover fall/summer clothes. Just an idea, though.”

“Well, actually, Lou invited us to a little get together at her house tomorrow,” I told her, “Just a barbecue sort of thing, I guess.”

“Us?” Eva raised her eyebrows.

“Us,” I confirmed.

“Are we going then?” Eva asked me after taking a second to process the information.

I shrugged, “I don’t know. Do you want to?”

“I’m cool with whatever.” Eva sat up and turned the TV off. She gazed at me as if she was trying to read my mind, and I knew she would go with whatever I decided.

“Well, I think we should go, if you’re okay with that,” I told her evenly.

“Sounds like a plan!” Eva clapped her hands once before pushing herself off the couch, “Goodnight, Savvy!”

[&&&]

“I’ve never been to a grown up sort of party before,” I admitted to Eva as we walked down to Lou’s house, “At least, not as a grown up. And even then, my parents aren’t really party people, so I didn’t really go as a child, either.”

While I generally took the Tube and then transferred to the bus, to avoid changing lines, Eva insisted on taking the Tube the entire way in order to avoid the busy London streets. I explained to her that I had timed it both ways, and it was faster to do it my way, but Eva insisted. I wasn’t much in the mood to fight with her about it, so I let it go. The walk there was a bit of a different way than the way I was accustomed to, but I brushed it off and kept going.

“Savannah, from what I’ve figured out, you haven’t really been to many parties in general,” Eva commented, “So I’m not sure that’s saying much.”

“Well, whatever,” I brushed aside her comment, “I’m still nervous.”

“It’ll be fine,” Eva assured me as we stepped up to Lou and Tom’s house, “You worry too much.”

The door was left open, so I just stepped inside, Eva right behind me. Lou and Tom’s house was full of people and hustle and bustle. Some I had seen before, but others were strangers to me.

“Do you know these people?” Eva hissed to me. Her eyes had grown wide, and it was clear that this wasn’t what she had been expecting.

“Some of them,” I told her, “Not all of them, though.”

Eva shrugged at me, and I led her through the house. It didn’t take long to spot the host, surrounded by her twin sister and another friend.

“Savannah! You came!” Lou sounded genuinely surprised at my appearance, but hugged me with her drink in her hand, “And you must be Eva!”

“That’s me!” Eva confirmed, “It’s nice to meet you.”

She stuck her hand out, and Lou shook it gingerly, “You, as well.”

“Well, help yourself to food or drinks or whatever. Savannah, I think the boys are in the sitting room if you want to go see them,” Lou suggested, “Or else just mingle. Everyone’s nice.”

“Alright, thanks.” Parties were never my strong suit, and I felt awkward just being at one. Lou drifted back to the crowd, where she rejoined her conversation from earlier.

“Let’s get something to drink,” Eva suggested, as I turned to her.

“Sounds good to me.” I led her to the kitchen and she followed closely behind.

“Hey, Savannah!” Liam’s voice surprised me as we entered the kitchen. Two girls stood next to him, one with long brown hair, and another with dyed light hair.

“Hi,” I smiled at him.

“This is Lydia, my girlfriend,” he motioned to the girl with the brown hair. She gave us a small wave, “And this is Gemma, Harry’s sister.”

“I remember you,” Gemma said, her eyes narrowing on Eva, “You’re Colin’s sister.”

“Uh, yeah, actually, I am,” Eva confirmed nervously. She shifted on her feet, and I could tell she was worried that Gemma held some type of grudge against her because of what her brother did.

“Well, I was the last girl he dated before he came out,” Gemma informed her matter-of-factly, before turning to me, “But I don’t know you.”

“I’m Savannah Mitzler,” I told her, “I’m Elizabeth and Ezra Mitzler’s granddaughter. I think they’re your neighbours.”

“Are you really?!” Gemma’s voice changed noticeably as she processed the information, “That’s… certainly something.”

“Your brother had a similar reaction when I told him,” I laughed, “I’m guessing you don’t like them much, either?”

“No, no, they’re fine!” Gemma hurriedly spoke, in a way that convinced me that my grandparents were not, in fact, fine, “I just didn’t realize they had a granddaughter. And an American one at that.”

“They have an American grandson, too,” I told her, “But he’s currently in America, being American.”

“I never knew that.” The look of amazement still hadn’t left Gemma’s face, “I’ve never seen them have visitors before. All those years we lived by them, and nothing.”

“Well, my dad’s their only son and so it’s just me and my brother,” I said, “Nothing too special. I think they just sit around and do nothing all day, and it makes them a little cranky.”

“Oh, come off it, Savvy. Your grandparents are more than a little cranky,” Eva insisted, “They’re grumpy, old, mean people.”

“They’re not too bad,” I stood up for them weakly, “I mean, they are my grandparents. I’m sure there’s a reason behind whatever it is they did.”

“Well, there is a reason your grandparents hate Harry. One year for Halloween, he and his friends threw eggs at their house when they didn’t give them candy for trick-or-treating,” Gemma confided, “They nearly called the coppers. Mum was so angry, still don’t think I’ve seen her that angry in all my years. That’s why they hate Harry. They don’t hate me.” Gemma sounded strangely proud at that fact.

“To be fair, I probably wouldn’t like someone who threw eggs at my house,” I said, “And my grandparents are not the sort of people to stand for that.”

“No, not at all,” Gemma agreed.

“They’re also just grumpy,” Eva asserted, “My family has never done anything to them, yet they don’t like us much either.”

“They weren’t too fond of us before Harry threw eggs at their house,” Gemma admitted with a giggle, “They’re just old and grumpy. Hey, are your parents still friends with the Bates?”

“Ugh, yes! Did you hear what Annabel Bates did?” Eva exclaimed, her eyes wide with excitement.

I realized that Lydia and Liam had ducked out of the room a while ago, not amused by our conversation about my grandparents. I was getting tired of it myself, and now that the conversation was drifting to other people who I didn’t know about, I decided to follow their lead.

Eva didn’t follow me as I wandered into the sitting room. The boys were all gathered around a screen, but the girls were sitting towards the back of the room. I headed towards the girls nervously, but stopped the second I saw what was on the screen.

“Oh, is that the Patriots game?!” I asked excitedly.

“Yeah, Patriots versus the Steelers,” Liam told me, “Are you an American football fan?”

“Oh, no, I don’t know anything about sports. I just want Boston to win," I shrugged. But nonetheless, I found my eyes glued to the screen, happy to see my first real sight of America in months.

“Miss America, do ya?” Niall asked me.

“Yeah, a bit.” I kept my eyes trained to the screen, only glancing down for a second. He was sitting on the couch in front of me, but he had looked up at me to address me.

I had never considered myself a Patriots fan when I lived there, yet here I was watching the game like I had been their biggest supporter.

“We’re playing in their stadium,” Liam told me, “Next summer.”

“You’re from Boston then, Savannah?” Lydia asked me. Her voice was soft and pleasant, and despite her initial shyness, she seemed to quickly warm up to me. She stepped towards me from the corner.

I turned towards her, “Yeah, I’m from Quincy. It’s right outside of Boston.”

“I went to Boston once,” a blonde girl spoke for the first time. She smiled brightly at me, “I’m Perrie. I’m Zayn’s fiancee.”

“Oh,” I stuck out my hand for her to shake, “I’m Savannah. I’m Lux’s nanny.”

“I’ve heard about you,” Perrie laughed, “All good, don’t worry!”

The last girl, a tiny little red-head stepped forward, “I’m Amelie. I’m Louis’ girlfriend.”

“Nice to meet you both,” I told them.

“It’s nice to meet you, as well,” Perrie said with a smile, “I’m sure that must be a huge change for you, coming across the ocean like this.”

“Yeah, it was. But I’m getting used to it!” I told them happily. The three girls had moved their little circle closer towards me, so that I was included in it.

“Why are you here, if you don’t mind me asking?” Lydia inquired, “Are you going to Uni and watching Lux, or just watching Lux?”

“I’m going to school, as well.” I set my drink down on the small table beside me, “My dad’s actually British, so I’m technically a citizen. School’s cheaper here.”

“Oh, that makes sense,” Perrie nodded understandingly.

“What about you lot? Are you in school?” I asked, motioning to the three girls in front of me.

“I’m in Uni, yeah,” Amelie volunteered, “I go to University of Essex, so I’m just here for the weekend. I’m taking the first train back tomorrow.”

“Same with me, except for I go to University of London,” Lydia told me.

“You’re just here for the weekend then?” Amelie asked with a teasing smile. The girls were calm but clearly comfortable with each other.

“You know what I mean,” Lydia groaned, “I’m also in Uni, but I am not taking the train back this weekend. Well, who knows? I might take the Tube back to my flat.” She threw her hands up and Amelie let out a giggle at her response.

“Perrie, what about you?” I continued.

“Me? Oh, I’m in a band,” Pierre said with a smile, “Little Mix. We won X-Factor in 2011.”

I blushed, “I didn’t know, I’m sorry!”

“No, no, it’s fine!” Pierre assured me, “We’re not big on your side of the pond yet! I would have been surprised if you had been able to recognize me.”

Pierre’s kind attitude comforted me, but I still remained on the quiet side. I watched as the three other girls conversed with ease about the various going-ons in their lives, but I had little to add. Still, I made a point of listening well, and tried to remember the details. Eventually, Pierre excused herself to use the restroom, and I decided it was time to refill my drink.

Eva had escaped me a while ago, and I wasn’t quite sure where she was. As I re-entered the kitchen, she wasn’t there. It was deserted, and the food and drink supply had dwindled quite a bit. There were more people at this little party than I had realized could fit into Lou and Tom’s house.

I reached for a bottled water as I heard footsteps enter the kitchen. Once glance up revealed to me that it was Harry, my first sighting of him at the party.

“Hey,” I said somewhat awkwardly.

“Hey,” Harry echoed.

“How are you? How was your party?” My voice was polite, but almost unnaturally so.

“It was fine.” There was an edge in Harry’s voice that I had heard once before, “How was your Halloween?”

“It was boring,” I admitted, “Just hung out at the flat with Eva. We didn’t get any trick-or-treaters or anything, I suppose it comes with living in a flat.”

“Yeah, I’d imagine so,” Harry laughed, “Didn’t even think about trick-or-treaters. Should have probably left some candy out or something for them.”

“Do you live in a house then?” I asked.

Harry looked at me somewhat funnily, “Uh, yeah, actually, I do. Why?”

“I just didn’t know!” I backtracked quickly, “It was a weird question, I know.”

“No, no, I guess it makes sense,” Harry agreed, “I know where you live, so it’s only natural that you would want to know where I lived. I guess I’m just surprised you didn’t Google it or anything.” A cheeky grin crossed his face, and I felt a blush grow on mine.

“No, I, uh, that was a one time thing,” I stammered, “And I would never - I would never Google where you live. Is that sort of stuff even on the internet? Seems way too personal.”

“I think they must, because it’s not too uncommon for me to come home to a couple of girls hanging out by my house,” Harry shrugged, “Have to get my address from somewhere.”

“That’s… awful.” No matter how small the flat that Eva and I shared was, it was still our flat, our private flat, and I couldn’t imagine having to deal with people in it without warning.

“It’s certainly something,” Harry agreed.

“Isn’t there something you can do about them? Aren’t there laws prohibiting this?” I asked.

Harry just shrugged, “I don’t know. I have a fence up, so sometimes I just drive through the gate without stopping. Or sometimes I just crash with friends. It’s not too bad, not as bad as being on tour or anything like that.”

“That really sounds awful,” I told him apologetically, “I’m sorry.”

“Hey, it’s not like you’re the one who does it,” Harry chuckled, “I mean if you start showing up at my house uninvited we might have issues.”

“I don’t even know where you live,” I reminded him, “You don’t have to worry about that.”

“I always knew I could count on you, Savannah,” Harry laughed again.

“Oh, thanks!” I flipped my hair pompously, and Harry laughed at my efforts.

Harry opened his mouth like he was going to say something, but he quickly closed it again after a second.

“Yes?” I teased, “Do you have something you need to say to me?”

Harry’s face flushed the way mine normally did when teased. His mouth opened again, and this time he started to speak, “I was going to say that -”

“Oh, hey, there you are Savannah!” Eva’s voice broke through Harry’s speech, “I’ve been looking for you! Are you ready to go?”

“Uh, yeah. Let me just grab my bag.” I stole a glance at Harry as I walked out of the room while Eva began her chatter about what Gemma had told her earlier. He gave me a short wave, and I returned it quickly.

Although I didn’t have class the next day, Eva did, and I promised Lou that I would watch Lux in the afternoon. It was a Sunday, and the party didn’t last all night, so it was dying down when Eva and I left around nine. We made the trek to the bus stop, which was familiar to me, but a new experience for her.

Eva and I sat at the top of the bus, in the front seat, like tourists. We both took a second to put our Oyster cards away, and before Eva turned to me and grasped my arm.

“You like him, don’t you?” Eva asked with a huge grin on her face.

“What?!” I jumped back, “Who do I like?”

“Harry,” Eva said matter-of-factly, “You like him.”

“No, no, I don’t,” I was quick to deny it, “No, I just don’t.”

“Are you sure?” Eva teased, “I think he might be fond of you, too. I saw that little wave he gave you.”

“He’s not fond of me and I don’t like him,” I insisted, “He’s irresponsible, weird and I keep getting mixed vibes from him.”

“Well, whatever you say.” Eva’s tone made it clear that she didn’t believe me, “But I think you two would be a cute couple. And I think Lou wants you two to get together.”

“We wouldn’t be a cute couple and there’s not a chance in the world any sort of relationship between us would work out.” The words came out more sharply than I intended them to. I took a deep breath before continuing, “And I don’t think it would be very professional for Lou to try to get me and Harry together.”

“Oh?” Eva cocked her head, “You really think there’s not a chance in this world you wouldn’t make it work?”

“There’s not,” I huffed quickly, “And I want this conversation to end right now.”

“Well why wouldn’t it work?”

“Because he’s famous and Harry Styles and I’m a Uni student and Savannah Mitzler. Those are two very different worlds, that are not really meant to mix. Besides, he’s gone all the time. I’ve known him for like two months and he’s been gone for one of those.”

“So? I think you two could make it work,” Eva told me, “And you’d be cute together. I’d ship it.”

“I’m done,” I finished curtly, “We’re not talking about his anymore. Harry Styles and I are not interested in each other, and we would not make a good couple.”

“Whatever you say, Savannah, whatever you say.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here you are! I hoped you enjoyed! You should drop me a note telling me what your favorite part was, or, if you totally hated all of it, you should tell me that too :) Anyways, thanks so much to everyone who has subscribed and commented! It truly means the world. I'll see you in a week, i