Luck

Fourteen.

Niall’s car was parked just down the street from Tom and Lou’s house, and it was the exact same as Harry’s. I climbed into the passenger seat and a wave of deja vu passed over me, it was so familiar, down to the distinctive smell. The make and the model were identical, and even sitting in the passenger seat felt the same as Harry’s. For a fleeting second, I thought Harry would climb in, but it was Niall who opened the door and climbed in.

“It’s the same as Harry’s,” Niall read my mind, putting the key in and turning the car on.

“The exact same,” I agreed, scanning my surroundings before buckling in, “Do you all have the exact same cars?”

Niall chuckled before responding, “Me, Harry and Louis do. Zayn and Liam can’t drive.”

I smiled awkwardly in disbelief, “Really?"

"Can't drive," Niall confirmed, "No time to learn. Don't even know how I got time to learn to get me license. It’s a miracle you’re sitting here."

"I guess that makes sense,” I allowed. Niall began to drive, and looked at me expectantly, “Do you know where the Arsenal arena is? It’s kinda by there. You guys always seem to be busy.”

Niall nodded and changed lanes, “They keep us busy. Always on the road, always traveling. Or doing press or having meetings or doing interviews or rehearsing or something. We’re going to New York City tomorrow.”

"How exciting!" I exclaimed.

Niall wasn't quite impressed as I was, "We've been there before." His voice was somewhat dull and deflated; he sounded tired.

“Oh, I’m sure you have. I’ve been, too. I just adore New York. I wish I was going,” I admitted, before glancing over and seeing that Niall didn’t seem to share my sentiment, “But I’ve also never had to go for work or anything like that. I went once on a school trip and two or three times with my family.”

“I think Harry and Liam are excited,” Niall told me, “They like New York.”

“It does seem like a place people like them would like. Turn here,” I instructed as we reached an intersection, “London is kinda similar, I guess.”

Niall hummed in agreement, but didn’t respond directly to my comment. His driving wasn’t as cautious as Harry’s was, and I found myself gripping the side of the door for support after he slammed on the brakes several times.

“Fucker, get in your lane!” he cried after a particularly close call. I let out a sharp sigh as he blared on the horn, but swerved and avoided collision. “Sorry,” he glanced over at me, a sheepish look on his face.

“It’s fine,” I breathed, adrenaline still pumping through me due to our near crash. I felt like it probably wouldn’t look good to be caught in a car accident with a member of One Direction so late at night.

“He really likes you, you know.” Niall’s voice was surprisingly calm for the ordeal we had just gone through. He merged into a lane easily, this time successfully avoiding any near accidents.

“Who?” I asked.

“Harry.” Niall wasn’t phased enough by our near miss to slow down at all, and London was speeding by. We would make it back to my flat in no time, the way he was driving.

Niall’s confession caught me off-guard. “You think so?” My voice was slightly strained and I hoped Niall didn’t take it as a hint of hopefulness.

“I know so,” Niall confirmed, a slight laugh, “He told me that he thought you were cute the first time we ever met you.”

“Really?” There was a hint of disbelief in my voice, and I felt a little sick. I liked Harry, at least as a friend. I wasn’t sure if I had any feelings beyond that.

“Oh, yeah,” Niall agreed, “That’s why he showed up at Lou’s today. He knew you’d be there.”

I let Niall’s words sink in for a second, before timidly speaking up again, “He doesn’t really know me.”

Niall shrugged, “I think he does. He’s seen you with Lux a lot, and Lou talks ‘bout you all the time. I think he’s gonna ask you out. We got some time off after December, and we’ll be around for most of December. Not on tour or anything.”

“We can’t date,” I said simply, “It wouldn’t work out.”

“Harry’s a good guy, Savannah,” Niall told me. He shot me a quick look of confusion.

“It’s not just that. I know he’s a good guy, believe me, I do,” I sighed and ran my hands through my hair, “It’s complicated. But we can’t date.”

“Is it because you don’t think you’re pretty enough?”

“What?! No. No, no, no, no. I think I’m pretty - I don’t - what?!” I struggled for words. I had about a thousand reasons Harry and I could not date, but my looks were not one of them.

Niall shrugged, “Harry’s been with some pretty girls. And some pretty guys. I just didn’t want that to intimidate you.”

“I’m sorry, what?!” I repeated. A short, nervous laugh left me, “I’m not insecure, I don’t think I’m ugly or anything. I can’t, it’s just I - ”

“Well I think you’re plenty pretty,” Niall cut me off cheerfully.

“Well, thank you,” I said quietly, but in a way that said that I wanted the conversation to end. Niall’s words stung; it was as if he was implying that I wasn’t as pretty as the girls Harry normally went for, “Turn right at the next intersection.”

Niall got my hint and didn't speak for the rest of the ride. It was a bit awkward and I found myself checking my phone often, but with the speed Niall was going, I was telling Niall which building I lived in before too long.

“Thanks for the ride, Niall,” I said as I climbed out.

“Anytime, Savannah, anytime.”

The building was quiet as I climbed the stairs to my flat. There was faint thumping of music in the background, but nothing distinguishable. The cry of the baby that lived below me and Eva was noticeably absent, and all else was quiet.

For once in my life, I was hoping Eva would be around to talk to me when I got home. She was a bit of a night owl, but I had to flip on the lights in the flat myself. Eva’s shoes were in the corner by the door, and there was a pair of unfamiliar shoes next to her’s.

Although the lights were out in the kitchen and in the hallway, there was a light shining from underneath the crack at the bottom of Eva’s door. I wanted to talk to her about my conversation with Niall, but I had a sinking feeling that now wasn’t the time. Nevertheless, I tip-toed to her door.

As tempting as it was to knock on Eva’s door, I pulled my hand back the second I heard an unfamiliar laugh coming from her room. It was deep, a male’s, and as curious as I was, I was not about to make Eva’s (or my) night awkward.

I sighed as I resigned myself to a shower and a night alone. It didn’t take long for the water to heat up, and I showered quickly. Steam filled the small bathroom as I stepped out, but there wasn’t enough to cover up the mirror. I found myself staring at my reflection.

I was in need of a haircut, and I should probably have gotten my eyebrows waxed months ago. Both of those had been on my summer to-do list, but things got complicated after my parent’s initial arrest. Luxuries like that were put aside. And I liked my hair long.

I had never considered myself insecure, at least not about my looks. I was insecure about my abilities in school, and my social skills, but physically, I was okay with myself. I didn’t think I was fat, but I wasn’t the skinniest person in the room, either. My skin was fine; it probably could look much better, but I knew that there had been a period where it was much worse. I was no super model, I knew that, but I didn’t consider myself to be ugly, either. I fancied myself to be average, at least in looks.

Harry had seemed so normal to me, even when we talked about his job. It was easy to forget that he could pick up any girl that he desired, and it did seem weird that he would settle on me. Niall was right; he could certainly do better.

After brushing my teeth and hair, I made my way back to my room. I glanced down the hall to find that Eva’s light was still on, but the boy’s shoes were still by the door. I put my worries aside, and crawled into my bed, but I tossed and turned for a while before finally drifting off to sleep.

[&&&]

I woke up the next morning to several new texts. One was from a classmate asking if I could send her the instructions for our assignment, another was from Eva asking if I wanted any coffee, and one was from Harry. I shot off a quick text to Eva telling her my coffee order before opening up Harry’s.

Thanks for ditching me last night.

Ever since my little breakdown, Harry had been texting me more. I wasn’t sure if it was because he was worried I was going to go crazy or something, or if he genuinely just cared about me, or maybe a mixture of both.

It was late and Lou and Tom had gotten back home. Sorry :(

I knew Harry well enough to know that he wasn’t really upset, he was just teasing. But still, I thought I owed him an explanation, and an apology.

They made me sleep on the couch. You should have woken me up :(

Lou and Niall both said not to, sorry. Next time I will.

There’s going to be a next time?


I could almost hear his cheeky voice in his text, complete with the smirk he always gave. It took me a second to think out my reply, but I ended up going with the most simple one I could think of.

It was just a comment.

The next time my phone buzzed, it was Eva confirming that she got my coffee order and she was headed back to the flat now. I took that as my cue to get out of my warm, cozy bed and throw on something at least slightly acceptable. I was in a partial state of undress the next time my phone went off.

I’m going to NY today but I’m only there for a few days. We could probably have a movie night next week sometime

It depends on when. I told Louis that I would take his sisters to the harry potter thing next week, and I still have class and work


Nearly immediately, the typing bubble appeared, but I put the phone down for a second to fish a bra out from my dresser and put it on. I selected a shirt from my wardrobe and threw it on as well before checking Harry’s text.

I bet we could figure out a time

I didn’t respond to Harry’s text, opting instead to finish dressing and brush my hair. A few minutes later my phone buzzed again, and when I looked at it, it wasn’t Eva like I expected, but Harry.

We come back on Friday but not til late. Saturday or Monday or another day next week might work.

What?


I shook my head as I tried to figure out what Harry was talking about. I knew Eva would be back any second, and I grabbed my laptop and phone and went out to the the living room where I settled in on the couch. My beloved tie-dye blanket was still there, despite my intentions to move it to my room, and it made for a comfortable pillow. My laptop sat on the table beside me. I kept my phone in my hand as I waited for Harry’s reply.

For our movie date. What days work for you?

I flipped to the calendar app on my phone, but I wasn’t very good at using it. My only engagements were generally class, which I had memorized because it happened at the same time every week, and watching Lux, which varied so frequently that I never bothered to put it into my calendar. The unfamiliar single dot caught my eye. I tapped on it without thinking twice, but I suddenly realized what it was. Michael’s birthday was on Saturday. Before I could let it freak me out, I flipped back to iMessage and tapped out a reply.

I can do Saturday if I don’t have to watch Lux.

But then I found myself back at the calendar. I had never been very good with dates, and without my mom or dad around to remind me, I would have forgotten Michael’s birthday. Of course, I wasn’t sure how I was going to celebrate it. Could you sent birthday cards to people in prison? My grandparents had asked me not to contact him, but if I sent him something by mail, I was pretty sure they wouldn’t know.

Great! We can figure something out even if you have to watch Lux.

I responded with a single smiley face, and placed my phone of the couch beside me. My laptop quickly replaced my phone in my hands.

My laptop had been left open to some shady sight that I had been doing research when I had last used it. Automatically, the page refreshed and it was replaced with a new page. The words “Oops! This article is no longer available! Try some of these!” filled the screen and an array of options, all with pictures, took its place.

It caught my eye immediately, simply because of what it was. The headline in itself was flashy, and there had been much less commotion about the Kardashians in London than there had been back home. Without hesitating, I clicked on it.

The picture was taken with Harry in the driver's seat, and Kendall in the passenger seat. It was taken in London, yet the car didn't look like Harry's. It was a black Range Rover, yet it somehow felt different than the one I had always been in. The pictures showed the interior just a touch, and I realized it wasn't the same Range Rover Harry always drove.

The outfit Harry was wearing was the same one he was donning when I saw him yesterday. The light looked only a little different than when I left to watch Lux, and the article itself stated that it was an early dinner date. I found it peculiar because Harry had eaten like a teenage boy at dinner last night, and he never made a mention of already eating.

An irrational wave of hurt washed through me. I wanted to ask him about it, but we had promised not to Google each other, and with all the drama it had caused last time, I didn’t want to bring it up to him. I bit my lip, wondering what to do.

“Here’s your coffee, Savannah,” Eva called as she opened the door. I looked up as my roommate entered, a huge smile on her face. Despite the somewhat early hour, she seemed wide awake and happy.

“Thanks!” I said as I stood up to take it from her. I placed my laptop on the couch beside me, with the screen facing out.

“What are you looking at, Savannah?” Eva glanced at my laptop screen with a confused look. She took a sip of her own coffee as she slipped her coat off and laid it on the couch.

“Harry went on a date with Kendall Jenner,” I said, a slight frown on my face. I sat back down and possessively took my laptop back into my lap, “Yesterday, here in London.”

Eva placed herself on the armchair and gave me a sympathetic look, “Oh, I’m sorry, babe. I know you liked him.”

The frown on my face grew, “I don’t like him. Not like that.”

“Oh?” Eva raised her eyebrows, “Are you sure?”

“I’m sure. It’s just that Niall drove me home last night and he told me that Harry liked me. I was silly enough to believe him,” I sighed.

“I don’t think Niall would lie to you about that, Savannah,” Eva said calmly, “We’re not twelve. We’re grown people who try to avoid drama. At least most of the time.”

“Yeah, I know.” Harry’s mention of a movie date was still running through my mind, “It’s just…”

“It’s just, what?” Eva pressed. Her face formed a knowing smile as she looked at me, “Is there something you’re not telling me, Savvy?”

“We hung out last night and he texted me this morning basically saying we should do it again,” I admitted, “I mean, Niall was with us last night but I think he wanted it to be just me and him next time.”

“Really?!” Eva’s eyes grew wide as I revealed my information, “Savannah, that’s great! You have a date!”

“It’s not a date,” I sighed. I grabbed my coffee, but didn’t bother to take a sip, “Not really. And especially not if he’s dating Kendall Jenner.”

“Maybe it’s just a PR thing,” Eva suggested, “Ask him about it.”

“We have a deal that we won’t Google each other,” I told her, “And it was such a disaster last time I brought this sort of thing up. I’m not going to do it again.”

“Why are you so insistent upon this, Savannah?”

“Because they’re celebrities! I don’t want to be mixed up in their surroundings, in their world! Do you know how many gossip articles get written about them in a day? How many Twitter and Tumblr accounts are dedicated to them?” I asked, “I can’t get mixed up in that! Those crazy girls would destroy me!”

“I honestly doubt that they know that much about their personal life, Savannah,” Eva chided, “I mean, you Googled them that one time and it just caused chaos because it was all wrong.”

“Yeah, but I didn’t look very in depth,” I huffed. I placed my coffee back on the coaster beside me, “I bet the most hard-core of girls know a lot. I should text Harry and tell him I can’t make it. It’s my brother’s birthday, you know, I could make up an excuse about that.”

“I think you’re overthinking this, Savannah,” Eva sighed, “And your brother lives in Boston, last time I checked.”

“I know that and you know that but does Harry know that?”

“Honestly?” Eva asked, “I’m sure he probably does.” Eva stood up and shook her head at me, “You’re far more neurotic than I thought you were at first. I’m going to go get dressed.”

“Wait!” I cried as she headed to her room. Eva stopped and gave me a look of despair, “You have to come back here! We didn’t even talk about who the hell was in your room last night!”

Eva laughed, “Don’t worry about me, Savannah, worry about yourself.” She closed her bedroom door and I was left alone.

I let out a sigh of defeat before closing my laptop and standing up. If nothing else, Michael’s birthday was on Saturday, and I really did need to buy him a card. So I grabbed my bag, and set out on my mission, determined to forget about Harry and all this drama until Saturday.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well hello again! I know this is a day late, but 1DFF is down and I also post this there, so I decided to hold it for a day in hopes that it would come back up. It didn't :(

Anyways... Harry and Savannah have a date! Maybe. Harry might die before then. Or Savannah. Either's possible. Or Niall could die and Harry would be in mourning and not want to go.

As always, I would love to hear what you think! The good, the bad or ugly. Thanks for reading!