Luck

Five.

It had taken me a while, but I had finally completed the essay I had to do, and sent it off to Brody for him to look over. I felt bad, because he had sent me his several days ago, and I had yet to read over it. Lucky for me, he didn’t seem to care too much and we agreed to meet up in a coffee shop that he knew of to go over our essays.

I arrived before he did, and found a seat near the window where I could watch traffic go by. In comparison to most London streets, this one was relatively calm. Cars passed by, of course, but it wasn’t crowded and overwhelming. There was plenty of foot traffic, though, and I enjoyed people watching.

Through the window, I saw Brody walking towards the cafe. He spotted me as well, and gave a short wave before he stepping inside. I smiled up at him as he entered, gesturing for him to come over.

“Let me just order a drink, okay?” Brody called.

I nodded at him and then waited while he talked to the barista. I couldn’t hear what he was saying, but when he came to the table, he had two cookies in his hand. He immediately offered one to me.

“Here,” he said as he sat down, “I bought this for you.”

“That’s so nice of you,” I blushed, surprised by his gift, “You didn’t have to do that.”

Brody shrugged, “I wanted to.”

“Well, thanks,” I smiled at him, “Ready to get started?”

“Yep,” he grinned, “I already read your essay, and you’re a right good writer, I have to say. Better than I am.”

I blushed again, “Thanks. I just skimmed over yours on my way here,” I admitted, “Sorry.”

“That’s fine!” Brody chirped, “I understand you’re really busy. Eva told me that you’re nannying for some famous lady and you’re on a crazy schedule?”

“No,” I blurted, before backtracking, “Well, yes. I do nanny, and I am on a crazy schedule. But she’s not famous, the people she works for are famous. She’s the hair stylist/makeup artist for One Direction.”

A look of surprise crossed Brody’s face, “Like the boy band?”

“Like the boy band,” I confirmed.

“Whoa. That’s crazy.”

“I know,” I agreed, “They seem alright, though.”

“You’ve met them?” Brody sounded even more surprised at this.

“Uh, yeah, just once,” I shrugged, “It was kinda awkward. I ended up going home and Googling them. I think they’re gay.”

“All of them?” Brody asked incredulously.

I shrugged, “Maybe not. Some of them definitely are, I think.”

“Well, good for them,” Brody said, “Anyway, I really liked your essay. However, I would like to point out one thing: you still use the American spellings for all of your words.”

“Do I really?” I covered my face for a second in embarrassment, “That’s so embarrassing. I’ll go back and fix them.”

Brody laughed his deep laugh, “It’s okay. When I first moved here, it took me forever to get the spelling right.”

I paused for a second, “You’re American? When did you move here?”

Brody nodded, “Yeah, I was born and raised in Georgia. I moved to Birmingham when I was in fourth grade, or year four. I was still learning how to spell everything in American English, but moving here and being forced to real learn all spelling really fucked me up, excuse my language.”

“I don’t care about cussing,” I giggled, “I have a bit of a potty-mouth myself. But I can’t even imagine how hard it would be to move across the ocean that young.”

“Really?” Brody seemed surprised, “I think it would be easier than moving across the ocean now.”

I shrugged, “It’s not that hard. My grandparents live here so I’ve visited before. Are your parents American or British?”

“Both are American,” Brody informed me, “My mom wants to move back there, after my dad retires. My dad’s set on staying in England. It’s a topic of discussion a little too frequently at our dinner table.”

“I can imagine.”

“What about you? You said your grandparents live here, so I’m assuming at least one of your parents are British?”

“Yeah,” I told him, “My dad’s a Brit. He moved to the States when he was about my age, I think. And he never looked back.”

“How does he feel about you returning, then?” Brody asked with a smile.

“Uh, I don’t really think he cares too much,” I said quickly, “But we should really get started. I told Lou, the woman I babysit for, that I would be over at two, and it’s about a thirty minute trek from here.”

Brody agreed, and we began discussing each other’s papers. Interestingly enough, we took the paper from different angles. In a way, it helped both of us better understand what we were arguing, and I had to admit that there were advantages to that. I walked away feeling much better prepared than I had when I walked in. We discussed the class, but eventually the conversation flipped back to our personal lives. Brody had a brother and a sister, both younger, and two dogs. He was apparently not much of a role model for any of them, and he was telling me about all the chaos he had caused in sixth form.

“Yeah, there was this one time, my mate dared me to climb up to the top of the roof,” Brody laughed as he recounted his story, “I don’t even know why I did it, but I did. Got suspended for two days. My mom was more angry than I had ever seen her. Makes for a right good story, doesn’t it?”

“Yeah, it does,” I said faintly, as I tried to flash him a smile.

“What about you?” Brody didn’t seem to catch my horrified reaction to his story, “Don’t you have any good stories about sixth form - high school?”

“Uh, no,” I shook my head quickly, “I was pretty calm in high school.”

“Really?” he seemed surprised, “My cousins back in the States are always telling me crazy stories about these parties they go to. Sounds like a blast.”

“Yeah, I was never quite cool enough to get invited those sorts of things,” I admitted. I glanced at my phone, pressing down on the home button so I could get a sense of the time. I was relieved when I saw it was one fifteen. “Hey, I should probably get going soon. I don’t want to be late for work, you know?”

Brody looked down at his own phone, and his face fell a bit when he saw that I was telling the truth. “Oh, yeah. I guess so.”

I packed up my stuff, and he did the same. The coffee shop hadn’t been very crowded when we first arrived, but now there were several people waiting in line. As soon as our papers started wrestling, I saw a lady move closer, ready to swipe the table up.

“Well, thanks for your help,” I smiled at him as I stood up to leave.

“Yeah, it was fun,” Brody stood up as well, and began to follow me to the exit. He opened the door for me. We walked together for a couple of seconds, which surprised me, as we had come from opposite directions.

“Where are you headed?” I asked when our paths didn’t separate immediately.

“I’m going to take the Tube back my flat,” he told me, “And yourself?”

“I’m taking the bus to Lou’s house,” I reminded him.

We continued walking by each other for a while longer, but I was happy when we approached the bus station.

“Here’s my stop,” I joked nervously.

“Oh, yeah,” Brody looked around, “I guess so.”

“Well, it was nice seeing you,” I said a bit awkwardly. The bus was turning the corner and I reached into my bag to get my bus pass out and grab my phone to tell Lou I was on my way. It pulled up in front of me and the doors swung open, and I stepped on.

“Thanks for this little study date, Savannah,” Brody told me as I climbed aboard the bus, “It was really nice. We should do it again.”

“Uh, yeah,” I agreed. The bus driver grunted as way of telling me to hurry to my seat, and I obliged. I waved at Brody at the window and flashed him a smile as we pulled away.

But I was happy when the bus driver sped up and I didn’t have to see him anymore.

[&&&]

Babysitting Lux was relatively calm that afternoon, although Lou did ask me to go through some of her outfits to bring to Australia with them. While Lux played with her toys, I sorted through her clothes and picked out ones that I thought would do for tour. It amazed me just how many clothes a two-year-old could own, and how difficult it was to pick. I had never been to Australia before, and I had no idea what the weather would be like. I assumed it would be warm, but I also knew that winter was just ending, and I didn’t want Lux to freeze if it wasn’t hot.

I had been there for about an hour and a half and had picked out only a few of Lux’s outfits - a couple of dresses and some cute tops - when I heard Lou’s familiar voice ring throughout the house.

“We’re home!” she cried.

She had left alone, so I was immediately curious as to who “we” was. Lux and I both stepped out from her room. Lux squealed in glee as she recognized who had come with Lou, and immediately ran towards the stairs.

“Hey, Luxy.” This time, I recognized the voice and realized Harry Styles had returned with Lou.

“Hi, there, Luxy!” A second voice chimed in as well, and it took me a second to place it but I realized it was Niall.

As I peered over the balcony, I saw not only Niall and Harry, but Zayn as well, who was standing silently, but did offer Lux a high-five on her rush down the stairs.

I headed down the stairs and offered Niall, Zayn, Lou and Harry all a wave. Lux had found her way into her mum’s arms, while the boys were taking off their shoes.

“Hey, Savannah,” Harry greeted me.

“Hi,” I said a bit shyly. I turned to Lou, “I picked out some outfits for Lux, but you’ll have to go through them. I wasn’t sure how many you wanted to bring and what type you were looking for.”

“Oh, thanks, Savvy,” Lou hummed.

“Of course,” I replied cheerily.

“You’re not going with us to Australia, then?” Zayn spoke for the first time.

I was quick to shake my head, “No, I’m not. I have class and responsibilities here.”

“Although it would be nice to have her…” Lou mused, “Savannah, I know you have your hands full, but Tom’s brother is also looking for someone to help watch their kids. Their old nanny just got married. I told them you might be interested in being their interim nanny. But as soon as we get back from Australia, you’re mine again!”

“For Heidi?” I had met several of Lux’s cousins before, and I had babysat for some of her friends.

“That’s the one,” Lou nodded.

“I’d be interested in that,” I told her with a smile. The thought of Lou and Lux being gone for nearly a month was a concern of mine. I hadn’t thought too much about what I was going to do for money during that period of time, but I knew that I would have to find something. Part of me knew it would be wise to quit and find a real job with normal hours, but I loved hanging out with Lux, and Tom and Lou had been so kind to me.

“Oh, good,” Lou said to me, before putting Lux down, “Luxy go play.”

Lux nodded and ran off to the living room.

I opened up the closet and pulled my bag out, but Lou spoke up before I could sling it over me.

“Oh, Savvy, we were going to have a pizza night,” Lou told me, “You should stay.”

It took me a second to consider her offer, “I’m not sure. I don’t want to intrude or anything.”

“No, you should stay,” Harry stated.

“We’re inviting you,” Niall added.

“Alright,” I agreed, “Let me just text my roommate real quick.”

“Is your roommate your keeper?” Zayn asked with a smirk.

“No?” I guessed, “She’s just Eva.”

“Eva?” Harry raised his eyebrow, “Eva who?”

“Eva Bryant. She grew up in Holmes Chapel,” I informed him.

“I know her!” Harry cried, “Well, not exactly. I know of her. Her brother dated my sister for two weeks and then he came out of the closet. Gemma was devastated.”

Niall let out a laugh, and beside me Zayn grinned. Lou, however, frowned slightly, despite Harry’s smile.

“I know,” I admitted,“Eva told me.”

“Oh, poor Gemma,” Lou sympathized, “I’ve had that happen to me and it’s not fun.”

“I don’t know,” Harry’s smirk grew as he considered Lou’s confession, “I still try to bring it up. Hurts her self-esteem.”

“Harry!” Lou smacked him.

Harry let out a yelp, “Sorry! She’s my sister, mate! I get to tease her as I wish!”

“Oh, you two, I can’t believe you,” Lou huffed, before shaking her head, “Why don’t we go to the kitchen?”

We all sauntered to the kitchen, and got settled there. Niall and Harry sat at the kitchen table, while Zayn and I sat at the old barstools. Lou just leaned up against the counter, her arms crossed, facing all of us. Lux played in the corner with her playdough, often bringing us some of her creations to coo over.

There was no clear topic of discussion, but the conversation flowed easily. We shared stories about various things, and there was plenty of laughter. I felt strangely at home, despite my earlier fears of being an intruder.

“What do you lot want on your pizza?” Lou asked after a time.

“Meat, we’ve got to eat like men,” Niall proclaimed.

“What?” I shot him a look, his comment having gone totally over my head.

“For our pizzas,” Niall informed, “We want meat. We’ve got to eat like men.”

I gave him a fake smile, before shaking my head, “No.”

Zayn laughed at my reaction, “Are you a vegetarian then?”

“I’m not a vegetarian but I don’t want meat on my pizza. Unless it’s with pineapple,” I informed them, “Pizza is salty enough as it is, I don’t want to ruin it with salty meat. And meat on pizza is always salty.”

“You put pineapple on your pizzas?!” Niall looked utterly horrified.

“You don’t?” I shot back.

“No, not usually,” Niall said, “Sounds nasty. Never tried it, but I can’t imagine it’s any good.”

“It’s wonderful,” I argued, “Once you have it on pizza, you’ll never want just plain cheese again.”

“I don’t generally want just plain cheese, now,” Niall countered, “I want meat. Gotta eat like men.”

“I’d just like a plain cheese,” Harry volunteered.

“I’d be quite okay with that, too,” I agreed.

“Yeah, me, too,” Zayn put his two cents in.

“We can get you a meat pizza, Niall,” Lou said evenly, “And we’ll get a cheese for all the rest of us. I’ll go order it, now. Is easyPizza okay?”

Lou waited for a chorus of “fine by me’s!” before pulling out her phone and excusing herself to place the order.

“Pizza?” Lux asked as her mother passed her by on her way to the quieter front room. She stopped her sculpting and looked straight at me.

“Pizza,” I confirmed.

“For me?” Her eyes grew wide.

“For you, for all of us,” I motioned around the room at the others hanging around.

“Yay!” Lux squealed, and clapped her hands.

“But not right now,” I warned her, “It’ll be here in a little bit. So why don’t you keep playing with your playdough? Can you make me a dog?”

“Okay,” she sounded slightly disappointed, but happily went back to crafting her little sculptures.

“You really like kids, huh?” Niall asked me. I realized they must have been watching our entire exchange.

“Oh, yeah,” I nodded happily, “I wanted to be an elementary, primary, I think it’s called here, school teacher.”

“Wanted?” Harry cocked his head in my direction, as he stared straight at me.

“Wanted,” I confirmed, “My grandparents are paying for uni and one of their conditions was that I major in economics.”

“Why?” Niall inquired.

I shrugged, “They think it’s more stable, I guess? I’m not really sure.”

“Why don’t you just become a teacher anyway?” Harry pressed, “Who cares what they think?”

“Well, they are helping me out quite a bit,” I said reasonably, “And besides, it could be a lot worse. They could have insisted I become a doctor.”

Niall made a face, “I don’t know, I think being a doctor might be better than studying economics.”

“No,” Zayn disagreed, “Economics is way better than being a doctor.”

I laughed, “I’ll take Zayn’s side on this one.”

“Not much for blood?” Harry smirked.

“Not at all!” I confirmed, “Even the word muscles makes me a bit queasy. I took AP bio in high school, and that was hard enough to get through. Didn’t even try an anatomy class or anything else. Science is not my thing.”

“I agree,” Zayn put in, “I wanted to be a teacher, too. But not a primary school teacher. An English teacher.”

I considered this, “I can see it.”

“Pizza’s ordered!” Lou announced as she re-entered the room, “They were having a special. Got one medium meat pizza, and two large cheese. Savannah, I figured you could take home the extras. Thought you and your roommate would like them.”

“Oh, thank you,” I blushed at her kindness.

“Hey!” Harry protested, “What about me and my… ”

“You don’t have a roommate, you wanker,” Zayn cut him off, “And you have enough money to order pizza whenever you want. I’m guess Savannah’s budget is much tighter.”

I felt my face grow red, “It’s fine. You can have the pizza, Harry.”

“No!” Lou shook her head, “I ordered it for Savannah, and it will go to Savannah. Grow up, Harry.”

[&&&]

I had begun my walk to the bus station when I felt the presence of car. Pizza night had gone well, and it had just been the six of us, including Lux. As promised, Lou send me home with several slices of leftover pizza. I glanced behind me and noticed that Harry’s Range Rover was creeping right behind me.

“Hey, Savannah!” Harry called as he rolled his window down.

“Yeah?” I asked. I stopped walking to talk to him, and he stopped driving.

“I’m going up to Holmes Chapel tomorrow. Do you want a lift up there? You know, so you can see your grandparents.” He was leaning slightly out the window of his Range Rover, and looked like something out of a movie, “I can bring you back on Sunday.”

I thought about it for a second. They had told me I was welcome anytime, I just had to call and they would come and get me. I wasn’t super keen on seeing them, but something in me urged me to go head.

“Uh, sure,” I decided.

“Great!” Harry flashed me a smile, “I’ll ring you for your address. It’ll be pretty early, so be prepared. I’ll see you tomorrow, Savvy!”

“See you tomorrow!” I echoed, but he had already sped away.

I still wasn’t sure how I felt about him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello again! I'm sorry this up so late, but I would love to hear what you think, positive or negative. I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow (ahhhhhh!) and I won't be back until next Tuesday. I'm not bringing my laptop, so I won't be updating until next Wednesday the 26th at the earliest. However, I promise you'll like the next chapter. And I'm going to London so hopefully I'll come back with a better understanding of the culture and lots of inspiration! Thanks for reading! :)