Status: Completed!

Last Seen in San Diego.

Chapter 10

“Hey Vic! Let’s go on the swings!” He yelled from the top of the tree we were climbing. I was on a lower branch since I was sort of scared of heights.

“Okay, let’s go.” I tell him, jumping down from my branch and tumbling onto the wet grass. Brushing myself off, I manage to catch the small whimper of my name.

“What’s wrong buddy?” I asked him. His wide eyes looking down on me, changing a lighter color in the sun like always.

“I don’t want to jump. I don’t want to get hurt.” His voice shaky enough to find the fear rushing through his veins. I walked towards the tree, holding my arms out for him.

“I told you not to go too high. Come on, jump.” I tell him, hoping he will do as I say.

“What? Are you crazy! I could die.” He yelled. This boy was so dramatic, but it did make me laugh sometimes.

“I’ll catch you I promise.” I tell him honestly. The reassurance must’ve been enough because 2 seconds later the blonde boy was in my arms with a big grin on his face. “Told ya.” I teased, carefully putting him down on the floor.

“Let’s go Vic! before they take the swings!” He whined, tugging at my arm. Off we went to the swing set where we took turns pushing each other and talking about our future. It was sad really, because never will I see the blonde hair boy again. Vacation friendships never last.


---

I heard faint whispering in the silent room, they were loud enough to wake up anyone. Thankfully, they didn’t. Well besides me, but I didn’t want to fall asleep in the first place. Ever since the man came in and took Kellin, I’ve tried to keep my eye out. Not only for me but for Kellin and everyone else. Speaking of the kid, one of the voices sounded like his. No surprise he would be up, he’s been practically sleeping all day. The whispers become almost silent before another one speaks loudly. Of course it’s Mike, he can’t whisper if his life depended on it. I slowly try and move closer to hear their conversation, so far they haven’t noticed a thing.

“Kellin, it’s obvious. Lucky for you, Vic is oblivious to these kind of things.” Mike told him. I’m oblivious to what things? Why were they talking about me? Why is Kellin lucky? All these questions were running through my head and I just wanted answers.

“Mike, you can’t tell anyone about this.” Kellin told him. What were they hiding? Was it something that could help us escape? No, they wouldn’t hide something like that from everyone would they?

“Tell anyone about what?” I speak up, making my appearance noticeable.

“Oh it’s nothing serious. I was just telling him about the numbers I’ve been seeing. You know, the ones I told you about that time.” Kellin spoke quickly. I looked between him and Mike, whom may I say looks confused as shit. I didn’t miss the glare Kellin sent to my brother, silently telling him to play along.

“Yeah, it’s some weird shit bro.” Mike tells me, but of course I know he’s lying. When we were kids, Mike would always lie to me when he broke a toy or a game. He has this dull look in his eyes that say ‘I’m lying.’ Another way I can always tell when he’s lying is when he doesn’t look me in the eye after speaking, which is what he’s doing right now.

“What were the numbers again Mike? I want to see if I can remember them.” I asked my brother. I don’t know why I wanted to know what they were talking about so badly, but I didn’t like things being kept from me. Kellin looks up at me, his green eyes wide with fear. He and I both knew Mike would both screw this up.

“Oh um, 843245.” He spoke, each number sliding off his tongue with a pinch of doubt. Now if I would’ve really forgotten the numbers, I would’ve believed him. But I remembered those numbers because just like little pale boy over there, I’ve seen them before. I just can’t remember where or what they were for. All I know is that I saw them around the time when I first got here.

“That my brother is incorrect. Now can I know what you guys are keeping a secret from all of us or do I have to wake everyone else up and tell them as well?” I bluntly told them. I know I was being a bit too much, but this could be something serious and I don’t know. As childish as it sounds and as childish I'm being, I just want to know.

“Bro just let it go, seriously. It was just something personal.” Mike told me, shutting down any plans I had to keep forcing them to tell me. I wanted to ask why my name was involved, but I decided against it. I was going to let it go for now.

“Oh alright, sorry.” I said, walking towards my corner. Honestly, I kind of felt guilty, Kellin’s always living in fear around me and I want to fix things but I can’t. It’s not that I hate him, it’s just I don’t see any point of making friends when we’re all going to die sooner or later. It’s scary to think about and I know I should at least try to be happy with the people in here...but I can’t. I honestly envy the others for doing it, I wish I could just laugh at a joke without a care in the world, but I can’t. After a few months of being here, I lost all happiness. Once I got to my corner, I took out my paper and placed it on the table. Much like Kellin’s, my paper has the set of numbers in the top right corner. I scribbled them there the day he told me, I thought it would help me remember. I was wrong. Scribbled on the back of the paper were some lyrics. I loved music, I used to write songs and play guitar back when I was home. Those moments where I was locked in my room, with only me and my guitar were some of the best moments in the world. On the front, well that was nothing but an unattainable dream. Messy lines touching each other at four corners, imitating the room itself. Different circles of things that can be a possible escape. All of course failed. I was too lost in my gaze to not realize a slumped body sitting next to me. The pale hand touched mine, causing me to flinch. I looked up, meeting the tattooed man.

“What do you want Oliver?” I ask him, my eyes directing themselves back to the paper.

“Something’s bothering you, what is it?” He asked, a small frown on his face. I just sighed, I hated when he asked me this.

“Oli what else could be troubling me.” I tell him.

“Look I know life-” He tried speaking, but I cut him off.

“Life is peachy my dear friend, guess again.” I spoke, sarcasm mixed in with my tone.

“Vic I wish you would let me in that little head of yours. You used to tell me everything, then it slowed down once Jenna came, then Alex and Jack, then it completely stopped. It’s not good to keep things inside lad.” He told me. I could feel his eyes burning into my skull, and honestly it was making me uncomfortable. I thought about what he said though, remembering how relieved I was to see someone else in this hell hole. For the entire month he was here, I told him about everything. It was just nice to have someone to speak to after being alone with my thoughts for a month. Once Jenna came along, It didn’t feel right keeping Oli all to myself. The more people that came the worse. It’s worse because it’s unfair they have to deal with this, it’s unfair that I shut down my walls and push them away when they try to befriend me. I used to be a social butterfly, hanging out with my friends. It used to be Jesse, Jaime, Mike, Tony and I, but soon our group got bigger but even then I didn’t mind.

“I know him.” I blurt out.

“Know who? The man?” He asks, his tone was indescribable. I wasn’t sure if it was fear, excitement or anger.

“No, Kellin.” I tell him, waiting for his reaction.

“I mean you did meet him a fews months ago, of course you know him.” He laughs at me. God this idiot.

“No you idiot, I knew him before all of this. When we were kids.” I told him, laughing at his wide eyes.

“Why didn’t you tell me? Wait, but I’m confused. Why’d you act like that with him then?” He asked me. This kid had a lot of questions, I was expecting it though. I thought about the first day he came here. Although he was older and had black hair, I could recognize his eyes anywhere. After years of wondering if I would ever see my summer friend ever again, he was in front of me, bloody and bruised.

“Well I was sort of upset he didn’t remember me. I thought it was because of the beating he received from the man, but after a few days he still didn’t remember me. When I punched him, of course I regretted it, but he just fueled my anger more and I don’t know. I just exploded I guess.” I tell him quietly, shrugging my shoulders.

“How long ago was it? How come Mike doesn’t remember him either?” He asked, prying more into the story. For the first time, it felt good to just let the thought out of my mind.

“Mike wasn’t born at the time, we were little kids. His family came to San Diego for the summer, we met at the park one day and from there we hung out everyday. Our parents didn’t seem to have a problem with it.” I told him, some of the images of the day at the park playing in my head.

“I think that’s adorable. Why don’t you talk to him about it, maybe he will remember.” He tells me, my eyes widening at the thought.

“No!” I said a bit loudly, causing Mike and Kellin to look at Oli and I. I tore my gaze away from them and glared at Oli. From the corner of my eye I could see a figure walking over to me. I wasn’t surprised to find out it was Kellin.

“Are you okay?” He asked quietly. His big sea green eyes looking into mine.

“I’m fine.” I said bluntly, turning my gaze away from him. Of course that earned a kick from the british boy sitting next to me. “Ow.” I whispered, hoping Kellin didn’t hear me. Thankfully, he didn’t.

“Oh okay, Mike wanted to know.” Lies. “Bye.” He said, dismissing himself from our presence.

“Shut up Oli, I don’t want to hear it.” I snap at him, shutting down his comments that have yet to be said. He just smirked, causing me to roll my eyes at him. “Whatever, I’m going back to sleep. Don’t you dare speak of anything, do you understand me?” I told him. He just nodded and walked off the others, leaving me to fall asleep, dreaming of a time where I was happy at home.

The rest of the day passed by quickly, we showered, we ate(Thankfully) and they joked around for a bit. Today Kellin got to eat, which made him smile a real smile. He probably thought nobody was looking, but I was. I still can’t believe he doesn’t remember me, but it was a long time ago so I can’t really blame him. Although I wish he did.

“Vic, come here.” Alex called out to me, motioning for me to join their circle. I thought about my conversation with Oli and my past one with Kellin, maybe I should try for once. Hesitantly I made my way over to the circle, sitting between Tay and Kellin. I could’ve sworn I saw him smile from the corner of my eye, but maybe I was wrong. They went around, telling jokes and just being themselves. I couldn’t help but laugh at times and honestly that scared me. I couldn’t be happy and make friends just to lose them in the end, I couldn’t do it. Thankfully, I didn’t have to excuse myself from the circle. Our second meal did that for us. We went back to the usual sandwiches and water. I knew this man’s ‘nice’ act wouldn’t last long. Well I wouldn’t consider it a nice act since he wanted Kellin to starve, I couldn’t let that happen though. Night rolled around quickly, meaning everyone was falling asleep one by one.

“Hey, I want you to know that it really made a lot if us happy that you participated today.” Alex says from behind me. I turn around and give him a small smile, not really knowing how to respond to that. He smiled back before cuddling into Jack’s side and falling asleep. They were cute, I just wished to have something like that. To be happy with my boyfriend in my arms, sadly that couldn't happen in a situation like this.

“Hey.” Another voice said from beside me. My head shot up, revealing a tired Kellin.

“Hi.” I quietly said back.

“So, you seemed to have fun today. What made you change your mind?” He asked me. I looked at him, he really was trying to start a full conversation with me.

“Don’t. Don’t speak of it.” I told him, my voice blunt. I didn’t mean to sound rude, it’s just how it came out.

“Oh okay, sorry.” He said quietly, putting his head down. Great, now I feel guilty again. I either make him sad, or scared.

“Kellin.” I sighed deeply, preparing myself for what I was about to ask. “Do you remember me, at all?” I asked hopefully. I looked into his eyes, waiting for them to get wide with realization. But they never did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! I'm back and here's your update c: I have good news! That contest I applied for earlier I won it (: They said my story was really good. Sadly, I wont be participating in Nationals because of family issues..It's okay though, I'm just glad my work was liked. I want to post it after this story or maybe when this is close to being done.

I'm sorry this is short :[

Anyways, here's your little look into Vic's mind and how he feels about things going on. Hope you like it!

Comments?

I love you all !

-Lissyc: