Status: Active

Illicit Love

Nationals Part 2

Everything seemed like a whirl to Gabriella. She couldn’t believe everything that was going on. She wanted to be able to just sit back and absorb everything around her, but, alas, she couldn’t. She had to give interviews, first, one downside of being a winner. Thankfully she had Gracie by her side the whole time.

Having gone through the basic questions, such as those asking the opinion of her performances, as well as those of her competitors, she only had a few left. “Gabriella! You seemed very surprised when you heard your name being called. Did you not know what your scores were?” an interviewer asked.

“I knew my own scores, but I did not watch any of the performances. I actually had no idea where I stood at all. For all I knew, I could have been in last place. So everything you saw was just my raw emotion showing through.”

“The Olympic team gets announced later tonight. Do you think you’ll be on it?” another man asked.

Gabriella sighed, knowing the question was bound to come up. “Honestly, I don’t know, and I don’t really care. Yes, it is my ultimate dream to make that team and I’ve trained so hard for it. But I know that the competition is extremely strong and that there are a lot of amazing skaters here that could easily be placed onto that team. What matters is that I am so proud of myself for what I did out there tonight. If I don’t make the team, it’s not that big of a deal to me because coming in at second was a huge accomplishment for me this year,” she answered maturely.

The rest of the questions were for Gracie, but Gabriella waited around until she was done before going over to finally see her brother. She hadn’t seen him since she finished her freestyle skate.

“I am so incredibly proud of you. You were amazing today, all day. Words can’t describe how proud of you I am. You’re a shoe-in for the team.” Chris wrapped her into another bone crushing hug as the announcement stating that the naming of the Olympic team would commence in ten minutes. “Looks like I have to go take my seat again. I’ll see you after your interviews.” Chris gave her another squeeze and wished the two girls good luck before going back to the stands.

“Ready?” Gracie asked her.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” The two held hands on the walk over. Gabriella was more nervous now than she had been all day. The air in the arena was dead silent, anticipation getting the best of everyone. Many people were pacing, others were shaking profusely.

A woman came out to give a short speech, talking about what an honor it means to be named to the Olympic team. “You should all be proud of yourselves for making it this far,” she added, before the real festivities started. “And with that said, let’s get to it. First, we would like to start with our pairs dancers. Marissa Castelli, Simon Shnapir, Felicia Zhang, and Nathan Bartholomay, welcome to team USA. For our dancers, we would like to congratulate Madison Chock, Evan Bates, Maia Shibutani, Alex Shibutani, Meryl Davis, and Charlie White. In the men’s competition, team USA will be entering Jermeny Abbott and Jason Brown. And last but not least, the ladies.” Knowing this was the most anticipated part of the naming ceremony, the announcer drew this out. “Polina Edmunds, welcome to team USA.”

Gabriella felt her heart skip a beat. She beat Polina, who definitely deserved a spot on this team, in this competition. This could mean a spot on the team for her.

“Gracie Gold, welcome to team USA.” Although this was no surprise, Gabriella screamed her head off for her best friend. She was so happy for her, but she couldn’t help but wait for the last name to be called. “And finally, we would like to welcome Ashley Wagner to team USA.”

Gabriella felt her heart shatter. This had to be a mistake; Ashley didn’t even place at nationals. Putting up a strong front, however, she clapped for Ashley. Gracie ran over to her, after taking a team picture.

“Gracie, I am beyond elated for you. You deserved a spot on this team more than anyone else. I am so proud of you,” she stated with a smile on her face.

Gracie shook her head, sadness evident on her face. “No Gab,” she sobbed, “I wanted to be on this team with you. You deserve to be on this team so much more than Ashley does.” Gabriella wrapped her friend in a hug, trying so hard to stay strong. Not being able to come up with any words, Gabriella could merely wipe away her friend’s tears. Gracie felt terrible for getting Gabriella’s hopes up, but she truly thought she would be standing next to her in the team photo, not Ashley.

“Come on. The interviewers are expecting me,” Gabriella chuckled.

“You know that you don’t have to talk to them, right? No one expects you to stay strong after this,” Gracie pointed out.

“I know. But I need to do this. If I’m not strong enough to make it onto the Olympic team, then I at least need to prove that I’m able to handle the rejection,” she explained. Gracie put another quick frown on her face before the two went onto the stage to get attacked by the interrogators.

“Gabriella! How do you feel about not making team USA?” It was the first question of the interview, signaling that this was going to be a rough one for Gabriella.

She let out a long sigh, prolonging the need for an answer just long enough for her to find one. “It’s rough, obviously, but I guess I just wasn’t a strong enough candidate.”

“What do you think about the three skaters who did make it over you?”

“They’re all amazing skaters,” she replied. “They all worked so hard to be on that team, and I’m genuinely happy for all of them. I want to wish them all the best of luck in Sochi. I know that they are going to make us all proud back here at home,” she said with a weak smile. Gracie placed a supportive hand on her leg underneath the table. She knew this couldn’t be easy for her.

“We all know that Ashley Wagner took two very nasty spills out on the ice today. Does that make you feel that you should replace her on the team, or do you think that she is honestly just a better skater?”

That question was a punch below the belt for Gabriella. She thought she had just proved herself to the figure skating world after her performance today, but apparently she hadn’t.

“My god you people are so heartless!” Gracie shouted into her microphone. “The girl is trying so hard to stay strong right now and you people are attacking her! You should all be ashamed of yourselves.” Turning towards Gabriella, she whispered “You don’t have to answer that.”

“Yes I do,” she quietly replied. Turning back towards the press, she quickly formulated an answer. “This decision was obviously not made on today’s competition alone. There are many factors that went into naming this team. Ashley and I, we both aren’t the most consistent skaters, as proven by my performance at World’s last season. I really just wanted to come out and prove myself after that blunder. I guess I didn’t do that. But Ashley is a terrific skater nonetheless. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m done here.” She had started to get choked up towards the end of her response.

Racing towards the back room, Gabriella continued to stay strong. She wasn’t going to allow those vultures to get her tears on camera. She kept her head up high her whole journey back to her room, that is, until she saw a familiar mop of blonde hair waiting outside her door with a bouquet of red orchids, her favorite, in his hands. He had a glum expression on his face, obviously saddened by the news. In the midst of all of her emotion, Gabriella forgot all about her anger toward the Swede, quickly running into his arms, burying her face in chest and collapsing into a puddle of tears, no long able to keep up a strong front.

"Shh, it's okay," he cooed into her ear. "I'm still proud of you. I always was proud of you. I always will be proud of you." Gabriella could do nothing but sob violently into his polo t-shirt. Knowing he could nothing to calm down this broken girl, Carl placed a kiss onto the top of her head, pulling her tighter into him.

Chris was running for his life, trying to make his way back to Gabriella's room. His anger was boiling over at the fact that she didn't make the Olympic team over that spaz Ashley Wagner. Gabriella was so much more elegant, graceful, and strong than she. To him, it was a no brainier decision: Gabriella over Ashley.

He needed to see her now. He knew this would be eating her alive. He had gotten her hopes up and he felt so incredibly guilty for it. He needed to talk to her, make sure she was okay. He was telling himself it was for her sake, but Chris knew that if she didn't talk to him soon to calm him down, he would be the one causing problems.

He had gotten blocked by numerous members of the press, lengthening his journey back. He knew he should have headed straight to her room, but he needed a little fresh air to cool off first. He also knew that she would be doing interviews first, despite the pain she felt. It was just the thing any Kreider would do.

Finally, he was able to weave through the last of the throngs of people. Chris could see the familiar pattern of her Louis Vuitton tights, dangerously close to a pair of khakis. At first, he figured it was her coach, or a friend of hers that went back many years whom he didn't know, but as he made his way to the person's face, he realized it was one that was all too familiar. Seeing his lips attached to the top of her head caused Chris to stop dead in his tracks.

Carl picked his head up upon hearing the squeak of sneakers running along the concrete floor. Looking around, he saw the brunette with the same last name as the girl in his arms staring dead at him with the eyes of a killer.

Carl felt his heart drop. He knew they would eventually have to tell Chris, but they planned on doing it after she made the Olympic team, when his excitement would overpower his anger. He didn't want it to happen like this, especially when Gabriella was upset enough as it is.

Carl felt stupid for coming now. He knew Chris would be here, right by his sister's side the whole time, but he let his hazy judgement and saddened heart get the best of him. He couldn't let Gabriella stay mad at him for any longer. He needed to talk to her.

With hands balled into fists and steam coming out of his ears, Chris could only think of one thing to do in this situation. "You're dead," he mouthed, backing away before Gabriella could see him.

It was a simple message, but Carl heard it loud and clear.

***

Carl made a few more failed efforts trying to get Gabriella to calm down, at least enough that she could start to breathe normally again. She could only make periodic gasps for air at the moment, making her sound like an asthmatic. Upon realizing that only time would calm her down, Carl took gentle hold of her shoulders and slowly peeled her off of him.

"No," she whimpered, wanting to be back into the warmth of his chest more than anything else in the world right now. Hearing his heartbeat was one of the most soothing things in the world for her. She didn't want to be cheated out of that, too.

Using two fingers, Carl lifter her chin so her gaze would meet his blue eyes. "Why don't you go shower and get changed?" he offered. "I'll be out here when you are done. I need to go take a little walk." Gabriella sheepishly nodded her head, realizing that it would probably be a good idea. Carl gave her another quick peck on her forehead before opening the door to her room for her. Despite her ruddy cheeks, puffy eyes, and streaming makeup, Gabriella was still the most beautiful girl in the world to Carl. Silently, she gave him a look that said thank you, and closed the door.

Letting out a sigh of frustration, Carl set out to look for Chris. He knew he needed to set things straight with him. There was no such thing as letting things settle down on their own when it came to Chris. The longer it sat on his mind unattended to, the worse he got. He never planned on doing this without Gabriella by his side, but that wasn't an option right now.

Carl searched everywhere for Chris. Christ, he even checked the women's room thinking he may be hiding himself in there. "Come on Chris. Where the fuck are you?" he mumbled under his breath, starting to get desperate.

Receiving a light tap on his shoulder, Carl quickly spun around. Before him was Gracie, still in her leotard and full make-up. "Congrats Gracie," Carl quickly mumbled. "Look, I don't want to be rude, but I just really don't have the time. I'm looking for -"

"Chris," she finished for him. She made a motion, signaling him to follow her. "He's been in my room for the past twenty minutes. I tried talking to him, but he just keeps muttering how he's 'going to rip his fucking dick off,'" she quoted. "I'm assuming it's you."

They stopped outside her room just long enough for Carl to tell her that she was a life-saver. Putting his hand on the door knob, Carl took a deep breath, for he knew that this wasn't going to be easy.

Chris was pacing the room in anger when Carl walked in. Snapping his head up, Chris had on a face of utter hatred upon seeing the blonde. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't fucking kill you right now!" he spat.

"Because she loves me. If you kill me after everything she's been through today, let alone the past couple of months, what will she have left?"

Chris threw a small folding chair against the wall, violence being the only way to get some of his anger out, but Carl's response wanting to give him a small chance to explain himself. He did want the best for his sister, but God he hoped Carl wasn't the answer after all of this.

Carl shut his eyes as the chair hit the wall, trying to relax himself. He knew that if he felt panicked, all the wrong words would come out of his mouth. He felt bad for Gracie, who was probably out there trying to explain that the loud thuds and angry shouts were nothing to worry about.

"How long has this been going on between you two?"

Quickly making the calculations in his head, Carl replied, "Three months." He held his breath, waiting for the short fuse to hit the bomb.

"You disgust me," Chris spat, his words drenched in venom. Carl could do nothing but stare at his shoes. After a long, dramatic pause, Chris added, "You're the reason for this."

"What are you talking about?"

"You're the reason she didn't make this team. You were distracting her. How the fuck did you expect her to stay focused on her dream while you whispered sweet nothings into her ear?" Chris felt nauseated at the thought of his baby sister being seduced by Carl Hagelin.

Carl was appalled by the words coming out of Chris' mouth, so much so that he didn't even know how to respond. Chris didn't know anything, and he was coming to all the wrong conclusions.

After a moment of silence, Chris continued again. "How fucking selfish are you? You get to live your dream every fucking day. But that wasn't enough for you so you had to get Gab involved. You just had to ruin the one chance she may ever have! Fucking heartless bastard, there's no way you love her."

The usually calm headed Swede lost his sanity at the last sentence. Lunging forward, he grabbed Chris by the shoulders, tackling him to the ground. "Don't you ever fucking say that I don't love Gabriella!" he yelled through gritted teeth. Seeing Chris' face start to get red from lack of oxygen, he got up off of him and started pacing around the room. "You have no idea everything I did for her! I made sure she made it to every single practice. I made sure she got an extra hour of ice time every day. I taught her how to take stronger jumps so she could land that quad. I even fucking made sure to get her pissed at me two weeks ago so that I wouldn't be a distraction for her, and so she could channel her anger into her performance! Do you have any idea how hard that was for me?" Running his hands through his long hair, Carl had to force himself to take deep breaths. He could feel his heart start to ache again, remembering the agony of not seeing his woman or hearing her voice for two whole weeks. He felt weak, pathetic.

Too many emotions were mixing inside of Carl right now as he imagined what his poor Gabriella was going through at the moment. All of her hard work for the past four months had just been tossed down the drain. Carl was heartbroken about her loss, and he wasn’t even the one who had been cut from the team. He couldn’t imagine how distraught she was. He felt like an ass now for purposely causing their argument two weeks ago. At the time it seemed like the right thing to do, but now he wasn’t so sure. Now it seemed that he had gone too far, called her too many names.

He knew that if Gabriella had made the Olympic team, he would forgive her in a heartbeat for all that he had said. But now, he wasn’t too sure if she would forgive him. Tears started to well up in the corners of his eyes at the thought of losing her for good.

Seeing the heartbreak and sincerity in Carl's eyes made Chris realize he was speaking the truth. He did love Gabriella with every ounce of his being. My god he wanted to hate him. He wanted to feed him to the dogs, to banish him to Siberia, but Carl was making that really difficult. "You did all that, just for her?" Chris asked, his soft side starting to crack through. There was a reason he was affectionately called teddy-bear by his sister.

Tugging at his long hair, Carl continued to pace the room. Of course he did all that for her. He loved her, so much that it hurt every second that went by without seeing her. Glancing at his watch, he noticed he had been gone for forty-five minutes. Gabriella was bound to have been done getting ready ten minutes ago. He wanted nothing more than to run back to her and hold her in his arms, to tell her everything would be okay. But seeing the distraught brother in front of him, he couldn't find himself capable of moving his feet. "You should go talk to her," Carl finally blurted out. Chris agreed with the idea, and headed towards the door. "But don't tell her that you saw us together." Once again, Chris nodded his head before running off the console his sister. Now was a good time for Carl to properly wish Gracie a congratulations.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fuck it. I know I said it would be a week but I really like this chapter and I just realized that basically the whole thing was already written. So yeah.

Shit just got real at Nationals.

There's one more chapter to Nationals but 0% of that is written so it might be a while. But hey, it was a double update tonight.

But anyways, I really really love this chapter so I hope you guys did too. I'd love to hear your feedback, both positive and negative.