Blossoms Who Are Without Equals

The Date

Hana walked with her head hung low shyly, one of her hand clasped tightly against the small basket she brought along with her. Natsu was walking beside her, pointing left and right, telling her stories about the town and the memories when he was younger.

Natsu had come to pick her up early that morning. At first, Happy followed them as well. But after about an hour, he flew away, screaming when Hana couldn’t keep her hands off him. She would keep pinching his cheeks or hugging him tightly. She wondered why he disliked her so much.

“I heard that you join Fairy Tail because you want to learn more about you mother’s past,” Natsu asked as they were walking. Hana nodded, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips as the thought of her mother flickered into her mind. “What was your mother’s name?”

“Sakura Itou,” she replied softly, lifting up her head and beamed at the clear bright sky. She and Natsu were walking pretty close and occasionally, his bare arm would brush against her own skin as she was wearing a sleeveless blouse. When it happened, she would blush as she felt the skin turning warm and blood rushing onto her face.

“Ah… another flower-related name,” Natsu commented, grinning widely, showing his teeth. “She’s the one that taught you about plant manipulation magic?” Hana nodded. They walked some more. By now, they’re almost at the park. As the weather was nice, windy with the clear sky, there were many people at the park, mingling about. Some brought their children and pets. Some walked in two just like Hana and Natsu.

As they were making their way towards one of the big, shady trees, a man who has his arm linked with a woman that was walking with him bumped into Hana. Hana quickly bowed and apologize although Natsu had already sensed that it was the man’s fault. “Hey! Look where you’re going!” the man sneered as the woman next to him giggled annoyingly. Natsu’s eyes narrowed at the couple as Hana bowed once more, her face turning into a deep shade of red.

“I’m sorry,” she muttered, sensing that Natsu was fuming next to her. She really hoped that the dragon-slayer wouldn’t look for a fight. She didn’t want their outing to ruin over something trivial like this. The man snorted and walked away, pulling his woman with him as Natsu mumbled something inaudible under his breath. She was about to turn to the male mage to tell him to cool down when he reached out and took her free hand into his.

“Are you okay?” he asked. Hana gulped and blinked her eyes rapidly. The blush that appeared on her face this time was completely different from before. The care that shone through Natsu’s eyes and the way her hand fit into his made something stir in her heart and she couldn’t help but to smile a little and shook her head.

“Uh… I’m okay,” she stuttered shyly, looking down. Natsu nodded, satisfied with her answer and his signature grin graced his feature as he pulled on Hana’s hand and lead them towards a big tree. Hana tried shaking her head so that the blush would disappear but it was no use. Her heart was beating so fast in her chest cavity.

They sat under the tree and finally, Natsu let go of her hand. Hana let out a breath, her heart beat finally returning to normal, somehow. But she kind of missed his hold but she tried not to think too much of it. “I bring bento!” she announced, trying to hide her nervousness. She pulled out two bento boxes and a blanket from inside the basket. After spreading the blanket on the ground, she set the bento boxes down, opening the lid.

“Ah! Bento! I’m hungry,” Natsu exclaimed, rubbing his stomach lightly, a light laugh escaping his lips. He picked up one box and took the pair of chopstick Hana handed him. Inside the bento box, there were several onagiris, tempura shrimps, some sausages that she cut into octopus shape and some vegetable. “Ittadakimasu!” After saying that, he dug in. As soon as he took a bite, his eyes widened. “It’s delicious!” he exclaimed excitedly and continued eating.

Hana took her own bento box and dug in. As soon as the food touched her tongue, she almost spat it out. Its taste was horrendous. It was too salty and there was a tang of taste that she couldn’t even describe. It was horrible. How could Natsu eat it? She quickly snatched Natsu’s bento box from him, earning a frown from the male mage. “What are you doing?” he asked quizzically.

“Don’t eat this! You’ll get food poisoning!” Hana responded desperately, trying to throw the content away but Natsu was quick to snatch it back, grinning reassuringly at her.

“It’s good. Anything that you prepare is good,” he said and continued eating. At Natsu’s words, Hana bowed her head and once again, she was blushing so hard that her face was almost as red as a tomato.