Blossoms Who Are Without Equals

The First Job

Hana cowered at the booming voices coming from both Kimi and Laxus. It hurt when the older male mage implied that she was weak and she was glad that Kimi tried to stand up for her. Maybe she didn’t belong to this guild after all. Even Natsu that she heard had been called as the Salamander and was a Dragon Slayer was still considered weak in Laxus’ book. She didn’t want to know how low he thought she was.

“Don’t mind him. He’s a jerk,” Natsu muttered to her and he seemed angry. Even Erza and Gray were looking at Laxus with angry looks. She nodded weakly, lowering her head. After the fight, Kimi burst the door open, much to her surprise. Her magical power was so strong! Kimi had asked Natsu to take care of her. Hana wanted to say that she was completely able to look after herself but she kept her mouth shut. Kimi was just worried about her.

After Kimi left, Laxus descended down the stairs and after looking down at Hana with a smug look on his face, he walked out of the guild. Natsu was ranting about how much he hated the guy and one day he would beat him. And Gray was taunting him by saying that no matter how much he tried, Natsu would always got beaten down. Erza shook her head and their antics and made her way towards the notice board.

“Shut up, Gray! And put your clothes on,” Natsu said angrily, pointing towards Gray who was only clad in his boxers. It amazed Hana how quick he could strip. Natsu grinned widely and put his arm around Hana’s small shoulders. “So, Hana… you wanna join our team?”

“Your team?” Hana asked, looking up at Natsu who was a head taller than herself. Natsu’s big toothy grin made her blush as she looked down again, fiddling with her own fingers. Natsu nodded.

“Yeah… we’re the Fairy Tail’s strongest team,” Natsu replied confidently and dragged Hana towards the table Lucy was seated at. “Lucy, Erza, Gray, Happy and I. We’re all in one team. You can join us. It would be fun!” Once again Hana blushed at the look Natsu was giving him. Hearing his words, Lucy perked up, nodding her head excitedly.

“Hana-chan! Come on, join us,” Lucy interjected, excited at the prospect of having another girl in the team. Working with Natsu and Gray was tiring as they always went overboard and Erza was… well, Erza was Erza. It’s just no telling what she would do and what would happen when she turned berserk.

Hana made a thinking face, weighing her options. If she worked alone, she could keep the rewards to herself. But she didn’t need that much money. If she joined a team, she could work with other people. She didn’t think her magic was destructive enough if she had to fight enemies. At least, with a team, she could always have someone to fall back to.

After a few moments, she smiled and nodded her head a little. Natsu threw his fist into the air excitedly as Happy looked dreadful. “We’ll be in the same team, Happy-chan!” Hana exclaimed, going to pick up the cat but he was quick to fly away. Hana pouted but Natsu’s laughter made her turn away and blush crept onto her cheeks when Natsu beamed at her and ruffled her hair slightly. She looked down shyly.

“We have to work on another mission soon,” Lucy said after a few moments, sighing. “I really need money to pay the rent this month.” As if it was fated, Gray and Erza came over to the table with a piece of paper. Erza smiling wide.

“We have job to do,” she said, flashing the paper towards the group.

“Aye, sir!” Happy and Natsu exclaimed excitedly as Gray smirked and Lucy grinned happily.

*~*~*~*~*~*

The job turned out to be an easy one. The group of mages were required to use their magic to attract customers to come to a club house that was only started their operation a few days ago. Natsu used his fire-based power to perform a fire-throwing show by the street and Gray created several ice sculptures. Erza requiped into different costumes and attracted a lot of male customers. Lucy used her stellar spirits to help spread the words about the club house and Hana screamed in embarrassment when Taurus tried to sexually harass her. Happy used his flying ability to spread the flyers about the club house all around town.

As for Hana, she stood in the middle of the club house garden, closing her eyes and brought both her hands together. With a smile, she spread her arms, wind blowing lightly and suddenly, all the flowers in the garden bloomed rapidly, as if it were spring season. Vines were climbing up the big trees around the opening, creating beautiful collage of colours and the other mages watched in awe as in a matter of seconds, the garden was decorated with lots of beautiful plants and flowers.

Aside from Natsu almost burned down the club house and Erza almost stabbed one of the patrons, the job went down without a hitch. After receiving their payment and promising to come back next weekend, the group began their journey back to the guild, chatting excitedly about today’s event. Hana was so happy that she was able to make friends easily. She was scared that she would be alone but now she didn’t have to worry anymore.

“Your magic is beautiful,” Natsu complimented, bringing his hands to the back of his head and grinned brightly, showing his teeth. Hana looked down shyly. “Thank you,” she replied as a blush creeping up onto her face.

“Manipulation magic is interesting,” Erza mused, nodding her head lightly as they finally reached the guild. However, when the mages looked at the guild headquarter, their eyes widened in shock.