Happily

Madrid

When I woke up the next morning it was all about getting ready to leave. I had a flight to catch a noon and had slept a little late. The previous night had been mostly sleepless as nervous thoughts haunted my mind. Thankfully though I had tied up all loose ends the previous day so I wasn't running amuck like a chicken with my head cut off.

I grabbed a quick shower before getting dressed. I had left out my favorite jeans and a random shirt when I had been packing the day before so I pulled the on and headed downstairs to find Alex. He was fully dressed as well, leaning against the counter eating a bowl of cereal.

"Good morning. How did you sleep?" I asked as I grabbed a bowl for myself, filling it up with Lucky Charms.

"Pretty good. I saw you were up and down all night though." Alex replied reaching out to hug me and press a kiss to my head as I joined him at the counter.

I nodded, "Nerves."

Alex smiled and set his bowl aside. Turning he pulled my face up to his and kissed me.

"You're going to do great Ry. And if you don't want to go you don't have to." he said looking at me.

"Thanks and there is no way am I not going." I smirked.

He shrugged, "Had to try."

I laughed and kissed him again before turning back to my cereal.

"Your plane leaves at 12 right?" Alex asked as he rinsed his empty bowl out.

I nodded, "Yep."

He checked his watch, "Well it's quarter til 11 now so we'd better leave soon."

I sighed and quickly spooned the last couple bites of my breakfast into my mouth before setting it in the sink. Grabbing a hoodie I slipped it on and shoved my feet into a pair of shoes before following Alex out of the house.

The drive to the airport was quiet except for the sound of the music pouring from the speakers. As he drove Alex kept one hand on the wheel while the other hand rested on the center console, his fingers laced with mine. Feeling his hand in mine kept my nerves under control until we actually pulled up to the airport. That was when I felt like a pit of vipers had built a nest in my gut.

With shaking knees I shouldered my knapsack before heading inside with Alex, my suitcases rolling along behind him and my bass case in my hand. I checked my bass, and suitcases and collected the ticket to Madrid that the record company had provided for me before turning to say goodbye to Alex.

"I'm going to miss you." I frowned as I hugged him taking in his scent.

"I know. I'm going to miss you too." he replied, his face buried in my hair.

Pulling back I kissed him deeply, my arms holding tight around his neck. After what seemed like a moment but was probably long enough for people to stare I pulled away.

"I'd better go. I still have to get through security." I sighed.

"Alright. Call me when you get to the hotel okay?" he asked with a sigh as he raked his hands through his short cropped blonde hair.

I nodded, "Love you."

"I love you too." Alex replied.

Adjusting my knapsack and sliding on my sunglasses I blew him one last kiss and headed for the terminal. It took so long to get through security that I hardly had a chance to sit down before they were calling for me to board. Taking a deep breath I headed for the doors and handed my ticket to the attendant before heading on the plane.
It wasn't until I found my seat that I realized that I was in First Class. I hadn't ever flown First Class before but I wasn't going to complain. Instead I settled down in the seat and put my iPod in my ears, happy to watch the people board.

It appeared that our flight wasn't that full. There was a huge family of about 20 who were all wearing matching T-Shirts, an elderly couple and a couple of bleach blondes who were laughing too loud who headed for the back. Other than me there were only five other people in First Class.

I was seated near the front with a guy in a sharply pressed suit across the aisle. Two rows behind him was a woman dressed all in white who was absorbed in a book and at the very back behind me were two guys but I couldn't tell much about them besides the fact they were about my age. One wore the hood of his jacket up and the other a beanie, both had their eyes hidden behind sunglasses.
They seemed strange to me but I just shrugged it off. I didn't need to freak myself out thinking about if they were some kind of extremists who were going to blow the plane to pieces. Instead I settled back in my seat and sunk into the music blaring out of my earphones.

The flight went off without a hitch. I sat and listened to my iPod and read the book that I had bought a couple days previous at my younger brother's suggestion. When I got bored with that I dozed and before I knew it we had landed in Madrid and were getting off the plane.

After making my way through customs I headed for the baggage carousel. It took no time to spot and tug my purple suitcase from the mishmash of other bags but it was decidedly harder to find my black suitcase. It was your basic black bag and wasn't easy to spot.

Finally though I spotted it coming towards me and got ready to grab it. However before it could get close enough I saw a hand reach out and lift it from the conveyor belt. It belonged to one of the guys that had been sitting at the behind me on the plane who was still with his hooded friend, both walking away.

"Hey! Hey you! Beanie! Stop!" I yelled as I grabbed my stuff and ran forward.

They both stopped and turned, looking confused.

"You have my bag." I said pointing to the duffle bag.

Beanie frowned at me, "Sorry...this is mine."

"No it's not. It's my bag. I promise you." I replied.

"No it's not." he said.

I sighed, "Yes it is. That bag is my bag and you're stealing it!"

"I'm not stealing anything! This is my bag!" Beanie replied.

Hoodie Guy sighed and looked around, "Lou we really have to get out of here and the two of you are making a scene. Are you sure that's your bag?"

"Yes I'm sure this is my bag! Look! I'll prove it!" Beanie said and dropped to his knees and unzipped the bag, stuffing his hand inside.

"See look! This is my-" but he stopped mid-sentence as he pulled out a pair of bright pink panties.

"Something you wanna talk about mate?" Hoodie Guy asked.

"This...this isn't my bag." Beanie said turning red behind his glasses.

"Exactly! It's mine and those are my panties that you're flashing around the airport!" I said and grabbed the panties from his hand and shoved it back into my bag.

"I am so sorry...really." Beanie said.

"Yeah yeah apology accepted. Look as much as I'd like to stand here and give you a lecture on watching what you're doing I really have to be somewhere. Just be sure when you pick your bag up this time it's yours." I said and with that headed towards arrivals.

Arrivals was packed with people who were milling about, waiting for people or saying goodbye to others. After a few minutes of looking I came across a man waiting for me with a piece of paper, my name written neatly on the front.

"I'm Rylie Walker." I smiled pointing to the sign.

He smiled, "Nice to meet you, I'm Alonzo. I've been sent here to pick you up and take you to the hotel."

"Great. Thanks." I smiled back and he picked up my suitcases, leading me out to a car.

"So do you work for the band too?" I asked as I got settled in the backseat with my bass.

"No. I just work for the venue. A couple of us have been sent to collect you and the others that are arriving today." Alonzo replied.

"Others? Who else is coming in besides me?" I asked.

"The whole group for one. As well as a good part of the band." he said.

I nodded and sat back, taking in the sites around me.

"Is this your first time in Spain?" he asked.

"Yes. I've only been to the States and Britain." I replied.

"Well I know that you won't be here long but I hope you enjoy your stay." Alonzo smiled.

"Thanks." I said and turned back out to the window.

20 minutes later we pulled up to the hotel. Alonzo helped me get my suitcases out of the car and lead me inside. He helped me get checked into my room and get everything upstairs. When I had everything settled he headed out taking my bass with him to add to the other instruments, promising that he would take good care of it for me.

Once Alonzo was gone I looked around the room. It had a queen sized bed with a fluffy white comforter, a dresser, a table with two chairs, a TV that had nothing but channels in Spanish and a large view of the city outside the window. Just past the door was a small en-suite with all the things you would expect in a bathroom. It was your typical hotel room.

Sighing I lay back on the bed, kicking off my shoes. Pulling my phone out I sent quick texts to Alex and Nikki to let them know I had arrived. I was looking forward to a short nap but a moment later I heard a rap on the door.

I climbed off the bed and walked towards the door. Standing on the other side was a guy with spiky black hair and bright blue eyes.

"Rylie?" he asked.

"You got her." I nodded.

"I'm Gabe. I'm part of the backup band too." he smiled.

"Nice to meet you. Would like to come in?" I asked stepping aside.

"Actually I came to collect you. We're all getting together to meet and go over some stuff." he said.

"Oh okay. Just let me put on my shoes." I said and quickly dashed back inside.

I grabbed my phone and tucked it in my jeans before slipping on my shoes and grabbing my room key.

"Ready." I smiled as I walked out.

"Great. Let's go." Gabe smiled.

"So where are you from? The States?" he asked.

"South Carolina to be specific. However I moved to London a few years ago." I replied.

"Awesome. So you live there alone or...?" he asked.

"With my boyfriend Alex actually." I said.

He nodded and smiled, "Good to know. That means I probably won't make a fool of myself by asking you out."

"Probably?" I asked cocking my eyebrow.

"Yeah...I tend to do stupid things when I get drunk. I'm never a danger to anyone but my own dignity." he smirked.

I laughed, "Good to know."

When we got downstairs there was another guys waiting for us.

"Is this her?" the guy asked.

"Yep. Rylie meet Tyler our keyboardist." Gabe said.

"Nice to meet you." I smiled.

"Oh! You're from the States?" he asked.

I nodded, "Yeah but I live in London now."

"Awesome. We'd better get going though. We're going to be late for practice if not." Tyler said.

The three of us piled into a cab and headed for the venue. Once we got there we headed inside and through a small maze of hallways until we came up on the stage. There were two more guys wandering around setting stuff up but they stopped when we came in.

"It's about time!" one of them called and all three came towards us.

"Rylie this is Hunter and Carson. They play guitar. Guys this is our bassist Rylie." Tyler said.

"Nice to meet you." Hunter smiled and shook my hand.

Carson took my hand after that, shaking it before nodding at the stage set up.

"C'mon and I'll show you where you stand." he smiled.

I followed him to a space on the stage not far from where Gabe had his drums set up.

"You'll be here for the most part but feel free to move around. Just be careful not to trip the guys up. Got it?" Carson asked.

"Seems simple enough." I nodded.

"And you've got all the songs down?" he asked.

"I drove my boyfriend up a wall but yes."

Carson laughed, "Well then it looks like you're all set."

"So anything we should know about you before we're all stuck on a bus together?" Hunter asked with a smirk.

"Well lets see...I'm originally from South Carolina, I've been playing bass for 9 years, I have a boyfriend named Alex who I live with back in London and I can't sing but do anyhow. I apologize in advance to your ear drums." I replied.

"That's it? Nothing juicy to give us?" Hunter frowned.

"Nope. That's about it." I said.

"Well since that was a total bust how about we run through some stuff before the boys get here? Figure out how everything sounds together?" Tyler suggested.

"Sounds good. Places everyone!" Carson said and we headed to our spots.

It didn't take so long for us to get everything set up. We ran through 'Midnight Memories', 'Kiss You' and 'Little White Lies' which all went great. We were deciding which song to try next when the sound of voices just off stage reached our ears.

"That will be the boys. C'mon Rylie and we'll introduce you." Gabe said putting down his sticks.

I nodded and handed my bass off to a tech. Once it was safely in his hands I started across the stage to join the others however I failed to notice the fact that my shoe was untied. I had only taken a handful of steps when I stepped on said lace and was suddenly falling head over tail down a sloped part of the stage.

"Ow." I groaned as I came to a stop, the stage lights bright above me.

"Are you okay?!" a voice asked and when I looked up not only were the guys there but so was all five members of One Direction.

"Um..." I took a moment to assess my body and came to the conclusion that other than what would be a few bruises and some soreness I was fine.

"Yeah. I'm okay." I said and started to get up and several pairs of hands grabbed my arms to help.

Standing I brushed my jeans and shirt off, "Thank you."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Harry asked, his brow furrowed.

"I'm fine. Gravity apparently isn't my friend today." I laughed.

"Well with that grand entrance I guess all that's left to say is, guys meet Rylie. She's-" Gabe started but was cut off.

"She's the girl from the airport!"

I turned my head to see Louis looking at me wide eyed.

"The one with the bag?" Zayn asked.

"Yeah. I thought you looked familiar!" Liam nodded.

"You two are the bag jackers that waved my underwear around the airport?" I asked looking at Liam and Louis.

How had I missed that it was them? I had done plenty of research on the band in the 2 months since getting the gig and was familiar with what each of them looked like. I'd even had my younger sister back in the states give me a crash course over Skype. Yet somehow I hadn't recognized that it was them under the hats and sunglasses.

"You waved her underwear around the airport?" Niall asked.

Louis sighed, "Not exactly. I pulled them out thinking it was my bag. It could've been anything in the bag...I just happened to grab those!"

"Either way we're sorry for what happened." Liam said.

"It's fine. Really it is. I'm totally over it. Let's just put it all behind us. We're going to be on the same tour for a while so let's just forget it." I said.

"Deal." Louis nodded.

"Anyhow like I was saying Rylie is our new bassist and so far she sounds pretty good." Gabe said.

"Awesome. How about you show us what you can do?" Harry asked.

"Glad to." I smiled and headed up the ramp again with Gabe.

I picked up my bass and put it over my head. As I did I watched the guys talking to each other as they got ready themselves. Suddenly as they were walking across the stage I saw Harry very subtly trip Louis up. I watched as Louis tripped and nearly fell. As he steadied himself he caught my eye. He flashed me a smile and I gave him a thumbs up before he joined the others.

Shaking my head I adjusted the strap on my bass. Something told me this was going to be a very interesting experience.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this was supposed to be up wayyyyy earlier than nearly 1AM (est) but my sister took me out to the mall for my birthday. But here it finally is!

Thank you to charity_hope for your amazing comment! I also must compliment you on your profile picture. I'm a huge anime fan :)

Anyhow thank you to everyone else who read and subscribed!

Comments are always welcome!

Thanks for reading!!!