ToSS Rewrite

Chapter 7 remastered

Quiz start: Descending into the ruins, you were surprised to find the temperature didn't change much. However that was explained when you all found even ground again. The hallway you'd stepped into was long and foreboding, lit by puddles of lava along the right wall that kept the belowground chamber hot.
"This place..." You murmur, pausing at the bottom of the steps. As you looked down the hall you realized you knew what waited beyond--a room with pillars and platforms held above lava, with puzzles you'd need to solve in order to find your way to the lair of Efreet. Torches. That was the key. Somewhere in the background of your mind you saw recessed torch burst into flame, making the ground shake. A new platform rose from the lava, completing a pathway that was impassable before. Efreet's altar is where you would see Remiel again, after defeating a guardian monster, and Colette would receive another blessing.
You closed your eyes when your head throbbed, and when you opened them again you saw a blonde boy, younger than you, standing before Efreet. You couldn't hear the words he spoke, but you knew he was making a pact.
Lloyd's voice said from next to you, "Aura? Are you alright?"
You jerk and shake your head, rubbing your temples to soothe your worsening headache. "W-what?"
"Are you ok?" He repeated.
"Yeah, just a headache..." You pause. "I've... I've been here before."
"That's impossible," Kratos said. "This place has been sealed for years in preparation for the day the Chosen comes to complete their trial. How would you have gotten inside?"
"I don't know," you say weakly. "I remembered the mechanisms of this place, lighting torches to change our surroundings so we can find our way through. I almost remember the way."
"Lighting torches... Of course," Raine said. "This pace is a city that was destroyed by Efreet's hellfire, it's probably connected with him."
"Can you show us through?" Colette asked.
You fidget, "I, uh...I can try, at least. Be careful, there are monsters here." You fell to the head of the small group, Lloyd and Raine just behind you, and led them forward.
The monsters were more a nuisance than anything else, but they didn't take long to clear away. You turned left after the hallway came to an end and led them through the next doorway, into the room with the lava floor and platforms.
"Woah!" Lloyd exclaimed, "No wonder it's so hot down here!"
"Everyone be careful," Raine said. "This place is extremely dangerous."
"Lloyd, make sure Colette doesn't trip," Genis said, half-jokingly. They followed you up a small flight of stairs and along a platform to the first unlit torch.
"Here, these are what we have to light," you say.
"How?" Lloyd asked.
"The Sorcerer's Ring, if I had to guess," Kratos said. You hold your ring towards the torch and will it to fire. With the torch lit, the ground rumbled just how you knew it would, and a stone pillar, previously too low to be of any use, rose high enough to complete a pathway.
"Wow! The floor moved!" Lloyd cheered. "That's amazing!"
"Aura, you were right," Raine said.
"Yeah...I was," you say, as surprised as her. "I must have been here before. Sometime."

It took an hour of negotiating narrow paths, pushing blocks (Lloyd and Kratos' job) and lighting torches before you found your way to the highest point in the room. A purple teleporter, similar to the one in the Chapel back at Iselia, waited there.
"This will take us to the top floor, where the altar is," you say. "We have to be careful, there's a guardian beast there."
"A guardian beast?" Genis asked.
"Another part of my trial," Colette said. "The seals are guarded by beasts that we must slay before I can receive another blessing from Cruxis."
"Are we ready?" Kratos asked.
Colette glanced at everyone, and then touched her Cruxis Crystal for a moment, as though checking to make sure she hadn't lost it. "Yes. We're ready."
After stepping through the teleporter you came to the same room in which the boy had been making that pact. It was eerily quiet, and there was no guardian beast about...
"This place is also built with magitechnology," Raine said, looking around the room with a wide smile. "Absolutely fantastic!"
"Where's that guarding beast thing?" Lloyd asked.
"The altar," you say. "When we get close to that, it'll come."
"I'll approach it, then," Kratos said, drawing his blade and donning his shield. "Everyone, get ready." Once everyone had their weapons securely in-hand Kratos cautiously walked forward, and as he neared the base of the altar masses of mana began to swirl upwards from it.
"What the?!" Genis exclaimed.
"That's it! Here it comes!" You call, clutching your naginata in both hands.
Kratos leapt away from the altar as the mana coalesced into a huge cat-monster, with two smaller ones at its sides. It leapt off the altar and charged at Kratos, the closest one to it.

Everything happened quickly, though sometimes it felt like the minutes would take forever. Genis and Kratos attacked the cat, Ktugach, with magic, quenching the fire on its back and making it safe to approach. You battled one of its spawn on your own, managing to kill it while hardly receiving a blow. Ktugach threw a hail of crystal spines at Lloyd, but the swordsman safely deflected them using the defensive artes Kratos had demonstrated outside.
Lloyd, Colette and Genis stared to get slow as the second small cat died, but Ktugach was still going strong. You find a safer corner of the battlefield to hide in and cast your spell.
"Nurse!" Light surged around everyone and Lloyd began moving faster again, a confident grin on his face. Ktugach tried to turn on you, realizing you were the source of the spell, but Kratos and Genis struck it simultaneously, keeping its attention elsewhere.
Lloyd struck the last blow, running in and leaping over Kratos' head to stab the monster between its eyes with both blades. It let out a weak cry, collapsed, and then dissolved into harmless red mana that dispersed itself across the floor.
"Tell me that's all..." Lloyd huffed, sheathing his blade and slumping forward.
"Now we wait for Remiel," Colette said, putting away her chakrams and stepping hopefully towards the altar. Steam released from its sides, and the center part shot up into the air. A bright light filled it, and for a moment you saw the silhouette of Efreet appear behind a ball of blazing, fiery mana. The device lowered again, though the floating mana remained.
Remiel's voice called down, though he didn't appear, "You, the Chosen of Regeneration. Offer your prayers at the altar."
"...Yes, my lord." Colette walked to the altar, clasped her hands and bowed her head. "Oh Goddess Martel, great protector and nurturer of the earth, grand me thy strength!"
The ball of mana above the alar glowed brighter and fell apart, the left over sparkles rising into the ceiling. As the last of the sparkles disappeared a bright, familiar light shone down from the ceiling. Remiel appeared again, the same way he had at the Martel Chapel, and again you found him nervously familiar. You didn't know his face as well as Kratos' or Yuan's, but you were sure you'd seen it before.
"Colette, my dear daughter," he said. The word daughter made you inwardly cringe. It felt so wrong to hear him say that... "You have done well."
"Thank you...Fa...ther." It looked like Colette was having trouble accepting it, as well.
"The guardian of the seal has fallen, and the first seal has been released. Efreet will surely awaken soon. "In the name of Cruxis, I shall grant you the power of the angels." The word 'Cruxis' made a nervous sweat break out on your palms, and the word 'angel' brought your wings back to the front of your mind. No...
"Thank you, my lord," Colette said graciously. Remiel cast one hand forward and four colored orbs of mana flew down to Colette, converging on her and merging with her Cruxis crystal.
After a small flicker of light, bright pink wings, not unlike your own, appeared on Colette's back.
Your heart skipped a beat.
Lloyd, Genis and Raine jumped as Colette flapped her wings and floated up into the air, as though they didn't think the wings had been real. Kratos watched, his expression interested but not awed, and all you could do was stare. You didn't have a Cruxis crystal, there's no way you could be a Chosen, but...
"The angel transformation will not be without pain." Remiel warned, his tone grave. "Yet, it is but for one night. Be strong, and endure."
"I humbly accept this trial." Colette promised.
"The next seal lies far to the east, across the sea," Remiel said. "Offer your prayers at that altar."
"Yes, Lord Remiel." The angel dissolved into light and disappeared into the ceiling once more.
"I shall await you at the next seal, Chosen of Regeneration, my beloved daughter, Colette." His voice called down
Colette fluttered down to the ground and turned back to all of you.
"C...Colette..." You gasp.
"Colette...has wings!" Lloyd said, equally as amazed.
"Uh-huh," she said with a brilliant smile. "I can put them away, too." She closed her eyes and concentrated for a moment, and her wings vanished, just as yours had.
"Oh, wow!" Genis exclaimed, "That's so cool!"
"Here, look, look!" Her wings appeared again, flapping a few times. She and Genis giggled together as her wings appeared and disappeared again and again.
"That's amazing." You mumble.
"He said the next place is across the sea!" Lloyd said. You turn back, finding him speaking with Kratos and Raine. "That means we get to sail on a ship! Haha! I can't wait!"
"A ship...Hmm. I wonder if there are any ships sailing with the way things are right now," Raine said.
"We should head to the coast to see what we can find," Kratos said.
"That means we head east," you say. "Over the mountains. I think there are some fishing villages along the coast. Maybe one of them will have a boat to take us to the other continent."
Lloyd laughed at Colette and Genis' antics, calling, "Okay you two, we get it already. That's enough."
Colette pulled her wings in one more time and the pair smiled at their friend. "Okay."

Once you found your way back outside you were surprised to see the sun beginning to set.
"Wow, it's so late," Genis said.
"I think there's enough light to make it to Triet, but we'll have to hurry," you say, descending the steps from the stone platform where all of this had begun. Just as Colette finished the stairs she collapsed, her breath coming in short gasps. "Colette!"
Lloyd spun back and ran to her. "Colette! Are you okay?!"
"I'm...fine..." She said, her voice wavering uneasily. Raine kneeled next to her, checking her temperature and pulse.
"You don't look fine at all! Your face is completely white!" Genis exclaimed. "It's all my fault. I got carried away and kept making her pull her wings in and out"
"I don't think that has anything to do with it," Lloyd mumbled.
"Now's not the time for that!" The Professor said, standing. "Her lips are turning purple. We must get her to a doctor in the city immediately."
"Wait." Kratos ordered. "It's best not to move her."
"Why?" Lloyd demanded.
"Remember the angel's words. The angel transformation process requires her to overcome a trial." Kratos said.
"Remiel said it would just be for one night..." You say. "We should set up camp and let Colette rest."
"Exactly," the Mercenary said.
"I'm...okay," the Chosen insisted weakly. "I'll be fine after a little rest. I'm sorry to cause so much trouble."
"Stop apologizing all the time, you dork!" Lloyd ordered jokingly. "It's not as if you can help it. You were suddenly turned into an angel."
Colette sighed, her usual cheery demeanor still gone. "You're right... I'm sorry."
Lloyd sighed. "Well, anyway...Let's set up camp before it gets dark."
"Where?" Genis asked.
"Let's move closer to the ocean," you say. "Fresher air, and it won't be so hot."

You helped Genis cook dinner, a simple tofu curry that you hoped would help Colette feel better. While you were cooking Kratos agreed to begin sparring with Lloyd to help him train. You heard swords clashing for quite some time, Lloyd occasionally crying out or cursing while Kratos shouted corrections back at him.
"They're really going at it," Genis commented.
"As long as they don't hurt one another too badly..." You mumble.
They returned just as you finished cooking, Lloyd definitely worse for wear. Everyone ate in relative silence, grateful for the food, rest and the cooler temperature that came with nightfall.
Once everyone had finished eating Lloyd talked with Genis about dinner and you kept glancing at Colette. Your wings were so much like hers... Where could yours have come from? The man in that flashback didn't look or speak like Remiel...
"I took one from a Desian," Kratos' voice said from nearby. You glance towards him and find him talking to Lloyd. The Mercenary was looking at the exsphere on the back of his hand. "I heard that the Desians force the humans at the Ranch to make them."
"So that's why Marble had an exsphere too..." Lloyd said.
"Is it all right if I ask you something as well?" The Mercenary asked.
"Oh...Okay, sure," Lloyd said. You look away, trying not to listen, but it was difficult to do with them so close and your acute hearing.
"Why were you raised by a dwarf?" That was certainly an odd way to ask the question...
"Dad found me collapsed in the forest, along with mom and Noishe," Lloyd said softly. "We were attacked by Desians and managed to get away."
"...I see," Kratos said, his tone gentle. "From the sound of that, your father is probably not alive either."
"...Probably not."
"So the Desians are responsible for the deaths of your parents... Your life has been completely torn apart by them."
Lloyd blinked at him. "Huh?"
"Your mother was killed by them, and then you were chased out of your village," Kratos said.
Lloyd considered his words for a moment, and you felt him glance at you. You focused on the fire, holding your locket in one hand and tracing your thumb over it while watching the firelight on your exsphere. You remembered Raine saying your exsphere was a strange color... But Colette's Cruxis Crystal was red.
"The village was my fault," Lloyd said finally. "I'm the one that caused them to be there."
Kratos met his eyes for a long moment. "So averting your eyes won't make a difference."
"I'm not going to run away from the consequences of my actions," Lloyd said firmly. "For the sake of the people that lost their lives, and for myself."
Run away from consequences... That struck a chord deep in you, as though Lloyd had said it to you and was scolding you somehow. Did he mean how you'd fled Iselia? No-- Lloyd wasn't the kind of person to scold or mock you for something like that. Why was it bothering you so much...?
"Why am I talking to you about this anyway?" Lloyd grumbled, though you didn't hear what Kratos had said to get such a response.
The twin swordsman walked over to you, still grumbling about the Mercenary, and sat down next to you.
"How are you feeling?" He asked.
"Fine. Why?" you ask.
"Your face has been pretty pale since we got out of the seal," Lloyd said. "Not as much as Colette's, but... Are you feeling alright?"
"I'm fine," you say. "Really. I look pale? Maybe I should drink more water." You were so worried about everything that it was starting to physically affect you... You needed to take a deep breath and calm down.
"What do you think about what happened to Iselia?" Lloyd asked.
You rub your exsphere again, thinking. "It was our fault, mine as much as yours. The Desians... They broke the peace treaty, but... Honestly, what did we think was going to happen, attacking the ranch like that? Did we think they would just admit they'd broken the treaty themselves and call us even? We should have thought about it more. But..."
"But Marble needed us," Lloyd said.
"Marble needed us." You agree quietly.
"I think you did the right thing," Lloyd said.
"Everyone's telling me that. Maybe they're right," you say, trying for a smile.
"Yeah." Colette came walking back from the beach, looking slightly uneasy but a great deal better than earlier. Now that everyone was here, maybe you'd have a chance to go think by yourself.
You stand, "I'm going to go to the beach."
"At this time of night?" Genis asked.
"I need to clear my head," you say, touching the handle of your sword to remind yourself that it was still there. "I won't go far."

You walk to the shoreline and follow it away from the camp until you couldn't feel eyes on you anymore and the campfire was just a glow back behind you. You press your hand over your exsphere, manipulating your mana until your wings appeared on your back again. Looking over your shoulder at them didn't provide the best view, so you waded into the shallow, gentle waves instead, watching your shaky reflection in the water. They were just like Colette's, aside from the color and being slightly larger in size. Wings...
There was no way for you to get wings without going through at least part of the trial to become a Chosen. Did that mean you were an angel--at least partly? You flutter your wings a few times, enough to raise your feet above the water's surface.
"What... What am I?" you mumble to your reflection.
The seal and Remiel were familiar... Perhaps this journey would give you some insight as to what and who you were, exactly. You flutter back to shore, touch down and pull your wings back in. Sand stuck to your wet shoes as you made your way back to camp, and you found everyone asleep but Kratos.
"You should go to sleep," he said quietly, sitting near the fire and leaning against Noishe's side. "We have a long walk back to Triet tomorrow."
"I know." You mumble, sitting down in between him and Colette. "Kratos?"
"What is it?"
"How much do you know about this whole Chosen ritual?"
"As much as anyone else, I suppose," he said with a shrug. "I've heard rumors and stories, but I've never experienced it firsthand. If you have any detailed questions, you'd be better off asking them to Raine."
"Do you think the Chosen is the only angel?" You ask. "I mean...Like, the only way to become an angel is to be a Chosen One?"
He gave you an odd look. "I would assume so. I've never even heard mention of an angel otherwise, except for the angels of Cruxis."
Angels of Cruxis. Could that... No. No way. That was even more impossible than you being a Chosen One.
"That's...That's amazing--Colette becoming an angel, I mean," you say awkwardly, the ridiculously paranoid part of you desperately trying to steer the Mercenary away from any thought that you might be an angel as well. "I wonder...what it's like."
Kratos shrugged and then looked at you for a long moment. "You seem nervous."
You fidget with your locket and look at the fire. "Oh?"
"Are you worried that the man from Iselia will come for you again?"
It was your turn to shrug. It was easier to lie with body motions than it was with words.
"As far from civilization as we are, you should be safe," Kratos said. "I'll be on watch all night. No one will come close."
You give him a weak smile, "That makes me feel better, at least." The ground wasn't terribly comfortable, but you laid back anyway, pulling one of the half-empty packs closer to be your pillow. "Goodnight."
"Hmph."

When morning came Colette looked entirely better and was back to her normal, cheery self, though she didn't eat much breakfast.
"I feel so much better now," she said, beaming. "Thank you, everyone."
"Professor, Aura, where are we going next? Where are we sailing to?" Lloyd asked.
"Palmacosta would be a good first step," you say. "It's a port city on the continent to the east, the direction where Remiel said we'd find more clues about the next seal."
"I agree. I don't think we'll find any more clues on this continent," Raine said.
Genis grinned. "Palmacosta is the biggest city in the world. The Church of Martel cathedral is there, and there's a school as well. I'm sure we'll be able to find something there."
"If we're going to Palmacosta..." Kratos paused. "That means we'll have to pass through the Ossa Trail. It's not a treacherous trial, but there's no harm in being prepared.
"Then let's head back to Triet first and resupply," you say.

The journey back wasn't any more fun than the journey to the seal, but at least there were places to rest in town. After resupplying you move to leave, only to be stopped by a few of the townsfolk.
"You can't go out now," one said.
"Why not?" Lloyd asked.
"There's a sandstorm brewing to the east of here, and it'll blow in this afternoon," the other said. "It's suicide to go out in something like that. You should stay here until tomorrow morning, at least."
Everyone glanced at one another, unsure about the advice. Raine said, "Thank you, we'll do that."
"A sandstorm..." Lloyd mumbled. "Man..."
"If we want to take their advice, we should go get rooms in the inn," you say. "If everyone will be stuck here, it'll fill up fast."
"Yeah, you're right. What does everyone else think?" Lloyd asked.
"I'm not sure of the credibility of those two," Kratos said. "But a sandstorm is nothing to laugh at. If they're telling the truth about it, we could easily die."
"I agree with Kratos," Raine said. "It's better to play it safe."

Honestly, you were grateful for another night in an inn. You felt sufficiently dirty from the two days crossing the desert, and you welcomed the chance to bathe and relax in civilization.
True to the townsfolk's word, a nasty sandstorm raged into town shortly after noon, trapping everyone inside. The rest of the day passed uneventfully, and you spent most of it relaxing in the room you shard with Colette.
Night fell, and everyone spoke briefly before turning in.
It was late into the night when you heard a shout from the room below yours. "...Woah! Who's there?!"
"Was that Lloyd?" Colette asked blearily, sitting up. You stumble out of bed and rush downstairs, Raine and Kratos appearing from their rooms as you did. You all burst into Lloyd's room to find him staring at the window, holding his sword belt in one hand.
"What's wrong?" Kratos asked.
"Some weird guy came in here," Lloyd said.
"Are you hurt?" Colette asked, obviously worried.
Lloyd breathed a sigh of relief. "Nah. I'm fine."
"It may have been a Desian. Everyone," Raine looked meaningfully at you, "Be careful."
"Seems like Lloyd's always got someone after him," Genis said.
"What, so it's my fault?" The twin swordsman scoffed. "Seriously, though, we can't be too careful. I'll be fine, but the Desians have come after Aura before." He looked at you, "You'll have to stay on your guard. Stay in a room near Kratos or me."
"I know, don't worry," you say. "Thanks, Lloyd."
Lloyd turned to Raine and Colette, "And Colette and Professor, you two be careful too."
"Yeah, thanks," Colette said, smiling reassuringly.
"Yes, I'll make sure." Raine nodded. Everyone returned to bed after that momentary excitement, though it took longer for you to fall asleep again.
The next morning the sandstorm was gone, though everything that had been left outside had been practically destroyed by its gusts.
"Wow. It's a good thing we listened to them," Colette said.
"You're right," Lloyd said. "Even if that weird guy... Gah, whatever. Okay, which way to the Ossa Trail?"
"East," Kratos said. "I'll lead the way."

The desert was no kinder heading east than it had been heading south, though as the hours passed the wall of mountains to the left and the green spilling out from their feet drew closer and closer.
Eventually you found your way to the Ossa Trail's base, an opening in the otherwise impassable mountainside surrounded by grass and trees. The path looked well-traveled but poorly kept, as though often used but never cared for.
"Finally, no more sand." Lloyd groaned.
"Can we rest here before we start the climb?" Genis asked, sounding equally tired. "I'm beat."
"We should," you say. "It'll be a long climb, we might as well rest while we can."
Everyone found a patch of hade to rest in for a little while, enjoying the breeze blowing down the path. You found a fallen bolder and laid down in its shadow, Noishe acting as your pillow when the huge dog came to your side. Raine was quizzing Genis over some advanced equations that he was apparently having trouble with, while Colette talked with Lloyd. Kratos was sitting relatively close, legs folded and eyes closed with his hands resting on his knees. His face was utterly expressionless and you assumed he was meditating.
After long minutes of relaxing Raine approached the Mercenary. She considered him for a long moment and then asked,
"Kratos, may I ask you a question?"
He sighed through his nose and opened his eyes. "What is it?"
"Why did you take on the job of guarding Colette?"
"Humph... I'm a mercenary," he said. "That's how we earn money to live. Ask Aura about her life before settling in Iselia and I'm sure she'll tell you much the same."
"In other words, it's just a job?" Raine asked.
Kratos gave her a strange, almost suspicious look. "That's correct."
"That's really all?" the Professor pressed. You frowned slightly, what was she getting at?
"Yes..." The Mercenary said, also confused by her questions.
"I'm sorry for disturbing you," she said, giving no hint for her reasoning. Kratos shrugged and closed his eyes again as she walked away.
Noishe looked at the Mercenary for a long time, and then let out a whine. Kratos ignored it. The dog whined again. One corner of Kratos' mouth sunk in an annoyed frown.
"Noishe, stop." You scold gently, scratching behind his big ears. He tilted his head into your hand, pleased with the attention, and fell silent. "You whiney thing," you say gently. "You just want attention."
Lloyd held up Colette's necklace, showing her the progress he was making to fix it.
"See I have to fix the charm here..."
You jump, "Oh, Colette!"
"Yes?" She turned towards you.
"I, uh... I have your birthday present, too."
Her face brightened slightly, "Really?"
"It's a song I thought up," you say. "I...I'm sorry, I know it really isn't that much, but--"
"No, no! I'd love to hear it!" Colette said, standing and prancing over to you. She sat very close to you, eyes bright with excitement. "Will you sing it now?"
"Of course." You close your eyes and take a breath to steady your voice before beginning... "Ne Perdatis Luces. Cantum Sanctum Nunc Accipite. Oro, Canto, Vobis. Fiat Lux a-ah... Spes, Ne Perdatis. Cantum Lucum Nunc Accipite. Dono Animam Mea. Fiat Lux a-ah..."

As you trailed off you opened your eyes to find everyone, even Kratos, staring at you, all of them looking impressed.
"Ah..." Your cheeks heated, and you tried for a smile. "H-heh, uh, happy birthday..."
"That was beautiful," Colette said appreciatively. "Will you sing it again?"
"Sure, of course."
You sang your song three more times before Raine gently interrupted, "Your singing is beautiful Aura, but we should be going."
"We've lingered here long enough." Kratos agreed. You push yourself up as everyone readied to leave, and realized just how dry your throat felt. "Here." Kratos held out a canteen before you could even ask, and you accepted it gratefully.
You took a few long drinks and sigh, relieved. "Thanks..."
"Where did you learn that song?" He asked. "It sounded like the angelic language."
"It just came to me, really," you say, handing back the canteen. "Maybe I heard someone sing it once.
"I see..."
"What's wrong?" you ask.
Kratos blinked. "Hm?"
"You look sad," you say. His expression had become melancholy after your second repetition, and it hadn't changed yet. "Was it the song?"
"No. It's nothing." He turned abruptly and walked towards the rest of the group, "We should be going."
♠ ♠ ♠
The song is actually the Angel Song from the ToS Anime: www.youtube.com/watch?v=75tydbYWhOY

Is that significant? MAYBE. ;D

Holyshitnamechangewhaaaaat??
I typically go by Erodairis/Ero online now.