The Only Hope for Me Is You

A Savior for the Broken, the Beaten and the Damned

Over the next few days, doctor's and therapists worked with me so I would have small amounts of movement. I was able to flick through books and recognise small words like "dad" "cat" "mom" but I was basically a child. My Father helped me out a lot, reading the words to me. Most nights I couldn't sleep so he would read The Lord of the Rings to me. It was soothing and it was great to spend some quality time with him.

~~~~~

A week after I woke up, my father helped me get home. I was in my own wheelchair and the house had been altered, mainly for Gerard. My Mother hated me. I knew that. Gerard glared at me from the living room door as my Father took me upstairs. I could feel the tears pricking. Dad rubbed my shoulder and I gently looked up at him, my eyes speaking for me.
"Oh Mikey.. Gerard doesn't hate you.. He just needs to adjust."
I nodded slightly, slumping in my chair despite the adjustments I'd needed for my spinal cord.
"Mikes sit up hunny.. You'll ruin your back."
The only form of 'shut up' I could muster was flashing him my middle finger. He laughed softly.
"You're a scream Mike."
I chuckled a little and gripped onto my Dad as he gently lay me in bed.
"Get some rest my little survivor. I'll bring you some food when you wake up."
I nodded and curled up as best I could under my covers. I feel asleep quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mikes, put it down."
"You let them... You watched me, listened to me beg you for help and you just let them. You helped them."
Gee stood alone on the field.
"Mikes... I didn't want to... I swear."
"You let them, I'm so sorry Gee."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I shot awake with a half scream. My dad was mopping my forehead.
"It's OK Mikey.. It's OK.. Daddy's here."
I clung to his shirt and cried into it. I looked up as my Mother walked into my room.
"There's the little attention-seeker.."