Status: Incomplete

Wonders of the Sea

Chapter 2

Oliver went back to the cabins. As he entered Lorelei turned around and smiled.
“Where did you go? You are soaked.” There was a sense of worry in her voice.
He took a step closer, his boots thudding heavily on the wooden panels. Not saying anything, he just looked at her. She was so beautiful… She stared back at him trying to make out his expression in the dark.
“Sorry..” He left once again, the door slamming behind him.
The cabin turned cold instantly and Lorelei frowned as she laid on the mattress, her curly hair fluffing around her head like a halo. She only thought about Oliver, he was the most important thing to her. All she wanted was him to be happy and lately he seemed so.. out of touch.
The door creaked ever so slightly. It was dark and she could have sworn she heard someone breathe nearby.
Oliver groaned as he passed by the crew. It wasn’t that he disliked them, he just couldn’t stand the way they talked about women all the time.
“OI! Oliver! ‘ow is that beautiful lass you’ve laid claim to?” The captain snickered. “You ‘ave laid with her ‘aven’t you?” He winked at Oliver.
“No, sir.” He responded in a sort of matter-a-fact tone, trying to cover the anger that suddenly bubbled up inside him.
“Ay. I can tell. You have a tension abou’ ya. She sorta a prude ayy?”
“No, sir. She’s a true lady.” Oliver said tightly. How dare he talk about her like that?
“Ai ain’t ‘no nuthin’ bout that boy, but wouldn’t a true lady want to keep ‘er lad ‘appy?” He said with a short laugh. Oliver clenched his fists, what was wrong with this man?
“Well sir, I must get goin’.” Oliver said in a hurry and left quickly to return to Lorelei.
“Oliver, is that you?” Lorelei said softly. A sudden fear swept over her as she turned and looked towards the door. She could only make out a single shadow and figured Oliver was still upset. Without lighting a candle he climbed into bed and pulled her into his arms. Something felt different about his embrace. He seemed almost shorter, possibly he was slouching. His lips crashed into hers abruptly. It was different from the normal soft kisses he usually delivered… Almost as if he was someone else. For a moment she melted against him then he began to tug at her dress aggressively.
“Oliver?” She mumbled against his crushing lips.
Still he gave no answer, instead he only pulled at her dress, slipping it off her shoulders. A grown impatiently slipped from his lips as he began to rip the fabric. He wanted her now. Lorelei began to struggle and pull away from him. Something was not right.
She felt a hand graze across her thighs as he lifted the bottom of her dress up. Struggling against him with all her might as he pushed her legs apart.
Finally he spoke, “Stop fighting me. ‘ou’ll love it Ai swear.” The words sounded wrong coming from his mouth. He sounded like some common sailor… This was not her beloved. The only thing she could think was where Oliver could be in a time when she needed him most. The mysterious man pushed his tongue into her mouth, the taste of alcohol overwhelmed her.
She began to struggle more, she had to get away. Though it was completely pointless as it only seemed to arouse him more; she could feel him get closer to her. Climbing on top of her, he ripped her dress more making her lay naked below him. Feeling the heat radiate off his bare chest she began to panic, knowing what was going to happen next. He pushed his trousers off keeping her pinned down with one hand around both of her arms. She felt him trace his fingers up her legs until he found her weak spot. He quickly forced her legs apart for the last time and pushed himself inside her covering her mouth with his.
Tears streamed down her face as she tried to scream. Where was Oliver? How could he let this happen to her? She just wanted to die. The pain was unbearable, she wanted to fly away… She needed to be free.
He groaned against her lips. “Lorelei… ”
She sobbed silently, her body shaking. She begged God to end this.
When he was done, she laid in the bed, shaking and afraid. Thinking it was all over she moved slightly, but he grabbed her and pulled her to the corner, whispering in her ear…“Ya think you ‘an just walk ‘way, ay?” He laughed. “Ya ain’t ever leavin’ this ship…” He paused for a moment then in a swift movement he dragged her to the balcony outside her room and threw her overboard. Falling she heard him say, “Someone like him ain’t deserve someone like ya anyho’.”
She could feel the water fill her lungs as she continued to sink deeper and deeper in. Oliver rushed into their cabin and saw nothing but darkness.“Lorelei?” There was no answer.
He quickly lit a match and found a candle. The room was empty. Where could she have gone? Looking around more, he realised the room was chaotic, almost as if a storm had hit on the inside. What could have happened here? Her dress laid torn to shambles on the floor.
He screamed Lorelei’s name. Thunder crashed in the sky and the rain continued to pour. It was like God was telling him she was gone. He ran outside, it was now a full blown storm; the waves crashed roughly against the ship, thunder roared in the skies and lightning flashed across the horizon. His heart dropped and his eyes no longer saw in colour. The world became black and white and he could no longer feel anything but sadness. He fell to his knees and screamed out in pain. Was this the price to be paid for falling in love? Was there only ever such thing as heartache? What was he going to do now…