‹ Prequel: American Soldier
Status: Updates come when Comments are recieved

Wounded Warrior No More

One Final Fight

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. What the hell is with this annoying sound? I slowly opened my tired eyes where a light above me made me raise my arm to block it out. I looked at my arm seeing a bandage and then I looked around the blurry room. I blinked my eyes and everything smoothed out. I looked around at the other soldiers that were laying around me in hospital beds. The events of the Humvee hitting the roadside bomb played back in my head. I looked around the room again hoping to spot any sight of Craig and Sam but I didn't see them.

"Major Rossi, it's good to see you awake." the doctor said again appearing unnoticed.

"How are Captains Craig Kyltowsky and Sam Hagar?" the doctor looked down before looking back up at me.

"I'm very sorry but they didn't make it." I sighed and slowly shook my head.

"How long am I going to be laid up before I'm returned to my unit?" I asked clearing my throat so my emotions wouldn't show.

"You'll be here for a few more days but after that you'll be transferred to the Evacuation Hospital and then to Walter Reed."

"Excuse me?" I asked not sure of what I had just heard.

"You're going home."

"For this?" I asked him as I pointed to my bandaged arm.

"No. When your Humvee hit that roadside bomb you had taken some shrapnel that had pierced your neck but thankfully it missed the major artery. You also took some shrapnel in your leg which...damn this is never easy."

"Just tell me doctor." I said preparing myself for any bad news.

"We tried everything we could to repair the damage caused by the shrapnel but...I'm sorry we had to take the leg." I didn't want to believe what he just said. I pulled up the cover and looked. My left leg was whole while my right leg was amputated a few inches below the knee. I slowly put the end of the blanket down and swallowed hard.

"Thank you for being honest doctor. Has my immediate family been notified?"

"We did get in touch with your sister when the accident happened but we haven't told anything about your current condition. Would you like for me to get in touch with them?" the doctor explained but I shook my head no.

"You can get in touch with my commanding officer at the 231st Combat Unit and ask him to have someone pack away my things and bring them to me here."

"I'm way ahead of you Major. I had called your Commanding Officer after your surgery and told him about you being sent home and he had one of the men bring your things." he said smiling.

"Thank you doctor."

"Oh and while you were out of it, my Commanding Officer brought this for you." The doctor said pulling the familiar black and gold leather case from his coat pocket.

"Another Purple Heart."

"How did you know?" he asked confused as I held the box.

"I've gotten four so this makes the fifth."

"Four Purple Hearts? How in the world did you get all of those?" he asked and I looked at him with a you-got-to-be-kidding look.

"Yeah I know. It was a stupid question. I need to continue on with my rounds. You get some sleep Major." I nodded and the doctor left my bedside. I opened the box and rubbed my thumb over the medal. It will be great being back in the States but the military is all I've known for the past seven years. I guess I'll have one final fight and that's the battle to reunite with the life of the American people.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the 2nd part of One Final Fight plus the new story!! I hope you all give me many comments. I value each and every readers comments so please don't be shy in commenting.