‹ Prequel: American Soldier
Status: Updates come when Comments are recieved

Wounded Warrior No More

Keeping it a Secret

Six o'clock came around faster than I expected and I was nervous about this meeting Jerry invited me to. I really don't know what I should expect when we get there. Maybe it's not going to be as bad as I'm thinking it's going to be. My mind raced with ideas as I followed behind Jerry's car. He pulled into the driveway of someone's home and followed by parking right behind him. We got out of our cars and he came over to me.

"Don't worry about being nervous Blaze. There are a lot of people here who have been through the same thing. They'll probably only ask you who you are and maybe a few other questions about your injuries just to get to know you before they start talking about the more heavier stuff." Jerry said reassuringly. I nodded and I followed him up to the front door where he knocked. Seconds later he was greeted by a young woman and we were let in and shown to the living room. There were chairs set up and some people were sitting down on the couch. I took a seat next to Jerry while more and more people came into the small living area.

A few minutes later and after everyone was seated in various places around the room, a man that looked to be in his early 30s stood in front of the crowd of people with the same woman who had let us into the house. They seemed to be around the same age. The woman had long flowing light brown hair and hazel eyes. She wore a simple pair of jeans and a really nice looking blue blouse. The man was muscled up and wore a tight short sleeved black shirt that showed how big his arms were. One of his arms had a tattoo on it but I couldn't make out what it was. He had a crew cut and had a darker shade of brown for eyes. His cargo shown everyone the titanium prothetics he had.

"Welcome back to Wounded Warrior Nation meeting. For those of you who are new to this meeting, my name is Bryson Gregore and this is my wife Missy Gregore. The purpose of these meetings are to let you know that you are not alone in your suffering. There are many soldiers out there who are wounded either mentally or physically and sometimes both. No one here is going to judge you for anything but they are here to encourage you all to tell your stories and support you through your choices. How about we start some introductions from some of the new soldiers here. Who would like to proceed?" Bryson said as he looked around the room at all of us. He was very sincere with his words. Jerry looked over at me and I nodded.

"I'd like to go first." Jerry said as he stood to his feet.

"Thank you Jerry." Bryson stood off to the side as Jerry helped me to my feet and we stood where Bryson and his wife stood.

"My name is Jerry Kyltowsky and I was a Seargent in the United States Marine Corp. I've been coming to these great meetings for years and I can honetly say it sure is helpful. You all may think that there is no hope sometimes but I know there is. I'd like you to meet my friend and co-worker Blaze Rossi. I found out a few short months ago that my son was killed when a roadside bomb hit a Humvee he was riding in. This young lady was in that Humvee when the bomb went off. She is the one that took the time to write me a letter of condolence to me. I think I'll give her the floor and let her tell you all about herself before I get too carried away." Jerry spoke with sincerity to the crowd of wounded vets. He nodded his head for me to speak but I took in a deep breath to calm my nerves.

"Well I'm Blaze Rossi. I was in the United States Marine Corp with the rank of Major. When I was 18 I joined the service to support my baby sister and make sure she was going to have the best possible life she could ever want. When I went overseas I was part of a Combat and Infantry unit as an enlisted person. I gradually made my way up the ranks doing things that most people would call reckless but I seen it as being a good soldier. I've been through many things during my seven years in the service and like Jerry had said. I did know his son and...he was the very best friend I've ever had. Thank you." I said and I watched as they all start clapping when I finished telling my story. The meeting continued on with the other new members who had come with people. Jerry was right. They all had experienced similar incidents like I have.

When everyone had told who they were to the crowd, Bryson stood back in front of the people and started explaining to us about the terrors that had followed one of his friends when he had come home from the fighting. He told us that the man was fighting an inner battle and tried to stop the reoccuring nightmares that plagued his dreams but the only way he seemed to get rid of them was by committing suicide. Byrson explained that most soldiers believe that's the only way to get rid of them and he wished that his friend had a group like this one to help him through it and wouldn't have been alone. It was touching and I could believe every word he spoke. He went on to explain that family can be the best support system for a wounded soldier and that we shouldn't keep anything from them...not even our dreams. I don't want Payge knowing just yet about the dreams I've been having because I don't want her to have one more thing she's got to worry about. I'll keep this a secret for as long as I possibly can.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is sort of a filler but I think it was needed. Anyways make sure if you're reading this to please, please, please comment and let me know how I'm doing.