‹ Prequel: American Soldier
Status: Updates come when Comments are recieved

Wounded Warrior No More

Going Home

In the days I remained at the field hospital, I had written Payge and told her about what happened to me plus writing two letters to the family of Craig Kyltowsky and Sam Hagar. I know they will appreciate hearing from a close friend that they didn't suffer when their lives were taken. The doctors at the field hospital kept me there for 2 weeks just to make sure that none of my wounds were infected before I was shipped off to the Evacuation Hospital to gain more of my strength and learn how to use crutches until I got to Walter Reed. There the doctors would be getting me a state of the art prosthetic and physical therapy.

I've been here at the Evac Hospital for almost a week and I've learned faster than the other amputees. Some of them have had to see a psychologist because of their inability to cope with the stress of losing a limb. I feel for those guys. Every now and again I would hear screaming in the night. Most of the soldiers here have been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress. Thankfully I haven't had any of the dreams most of the men and women are having. It does frighten me at times to hear the screams coming through the night but then I remember that I'm no longer in battle. I heard all kinds of agonizing screams on the battlefield. Some were the higher ranking officers such as myself barking out orders to the men and others were the screams of pain of the soldiers who were hurt. A knock came to the closed door knocking me from my thoughts.

"Come in." I yelled as I turned off the TV. A doctor who was all smiles came into the room with a chart in his hand.

"Hello Major. How are you feeling today?"

"I'm feeling just fine doctor." I said smiling.

"That's good. You've progressed faster than I originally thought so I've pushed your release date up."

"Oh really? When will I be leaving?" I asked in curiosity.

"Tomorrow. I know we've been over this several times but I just want to make sure you understand."

"Sure." I said nodding.

"At Walter Reed, they will take a cast of your leg to see what size prosthetic to fit you with and then in about two more weeks you'll receive it and then you'll go through a month long of physical therapy and rehab."

"Okay. That sounds reasonable." I said agreeing with him. I just hope that month goes by fast and I can go back to Payge and then I'll have to figure out where I'm going to live and what kind of work I can do that I'll be able to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Payge's POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting a call from a doctor is never good especially when that call concerns your sister. The doctor at a field hospital had told me that she had damage that was life threatening and I was so damn worried about her. For the past several days I haven't been able to sleep properly for my mind coming up with the worst possible news and when I did sleep I was startled awake by horrible nightmares of my sister being dead. Michelle, Lacey, Leana, Matt, and the others have been great in trying to comfort me but I won't be settled until I hear some kind of news about Blaze.

I heard Matt's car pull into the drive and I glanced out the window while I was preparing something to eat for him and the guys. I knew that I should make extra food because I never know when the guys will decide to pop in after recording and want to play a round of Call of Duty. It's kind of funny how Matt and the guys are fictionally playing war games when my sister is really fighting. Matt thinks whenever she comes home that she'll like the gam and probably beat all of our asses once she learns the controls. I could help but laugh at that because deep down I knew that would be absolutely true.

"Hey honey we're home!" Jimmy's voice boomed through the house which was followed by Matt's saying that I was his honey and no one else’s. I shook my head and finished up with the food.

"Hey darling." Matt said smiling as he sat the mail down on the counter. He came over to me and wrapped his strong arms around me and planted a sweet kiss to my lips.

"How was your day?"

"It was good. We had more of a laughing our asses off kind of day. Jimmy must have gotten too many cookies from his mother." Matt said as he whispered that last part.

"Hey you ate them too!" Jimmy's voice rang out and I chuckled.

"I have food if you guys are hungry." I said setting the food on the island counter. Jimmy and Zacky were the first ones to grab a plate and get something. Those two are always hungry but what can I expect from two growing boys?

I sat down at the island counter and went through the mail while the guys were in the living room shouting profanities at each other. I knew exactly what they were playing. I picked up each piece seeing junk mail after junk mail and a few bills that were about to be due. I picked up the last bill and put into the pile of other bills but underneath that was a letter addressed to me and it was from Blaze. I got up from my seat and went into the living room where Matt had just killed Johnny and he yelled something I'm not going to repeat at him.

"Guys I hate to break up this little Pow Wow but I got a letter from Blaze." I said smiling as I opened the envelope.

"What's it say?" I pulled the letter from the envelope and unfolded the paper.

"Well it says:

Payge,

Sorry I haven't written but by now you've learned that I was injured once again. The doctor at this field hospital told me that I had taken on some shrapnel in my neck but it wasn't serious. Nothing was damaged and if there was...well I wouldn't be writing this right now. Not all of my injuries are good news though. When the Humvee I was riding in hit that roadside bomb, the shrapnel bounced around in the metal vehicle and I caught some in my right leg more than once. I've accepted the fact the doctors did all they could to salvage and repair the damage done but...but their operation didn't work. I've lost my leg but it could have been worse. I could be like my two best friends Craig and Sam that I've written you about. They...they were killed.

Sometimes I didn't understand how this could happen. I mean they were joking around like they've always done and then the next thing I know I'm waking up in the field hospital and being told that my buddies are dead. I thought it was my duty while being here to write their loved ones and I did. I gave them the address there to write back to so if you receive a letter from the two families please keep them sealed until I come back.

Speaking of that. The doctor here said I would stay in this hospital for at least two weeks before being transferred to the Evacuation Hospital to regain my strength and then when that's been completed I'll be sent to Walter Reed to get a prosthetic and probably endure several weeks of physical therapy. When I get to Walter Reed and I've settle in there I will be sure to call you and update you all with the progress. I love you sis and don't worry I'll be able to see you soon.

Love you,

Blaze
." I read out loud to them. All of them shot me looks of sympathy but I'm not the one they should be giving sympathy to. That should wholly go to Blaze but I know she wouldn't want it.

"She seems in good spirits considering the hell she's been through." Johnny said and I couldn't agree more. She has really accepted this. She's stronger in will than I could have ever imagined and certainly more than me. I hope she gets to Walter Reed quickly so I can talk to her and maybe I can talk Matt in to taking a short break from recording and go up to Washington DC for a week so I can visit her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? I thought I would you guess 2 chapters to start off the story.