‹ Prequel: American Soldier
Status: Updates come when Comments are recieved

Wounded Warrior No More

One Interesting Shopping Day

I opened my eyes seeing that I was no longer going to sleep. The sun was barely rising into the sky as I pulled myself up and grabbed my prosthesis. I strapped it onto my leg and grabbed some old jeans and a t-shirt from the closet along with undergarments. I walked into my bathroom and placed my clothes down on the sink. My bathroom was huge and had its own closet for towels and wash cloths plus other things like extra shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and etcetera. I stripped off my clothes and sat down inside the safe step walk in tub before taking off my prosthetic and turning on the water. It felt so good to actually take a bath. In combat, the only time you got a bath in was if you found a stream and that was to only wash your hair and the dirt off of what skin is exposed.

I finished my bath and while the water was draining I dried off my hair and wrapped it in a towel. Once the water was gone, I hopped out of the tub and sat down on the closed toilet seat to finish drying off. I dressed into my clothes and put on my prosthetic then took my dirty clothing and put them into the clothes hamper. I left the bathroom and grabbed my wallet from the desk before leaving my room quietly. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen where Zacky was sitting at the island. What's he doing here? I thought he left when the others did.

"Hey Zacky." I said walking around him where he jumped slightly.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's alright. What are you doing up so early?" he asked while drinking coffee.

"It's a habit from combat. Soldiers don't sleep long because you never know when the man who's on watch is going to doze off. Anyways I thought you left when the others did."

"I talked to Matt before everyone left and asked him if I could crash over here since I had a little too much to drink last night. There's some coffee if you want some." he explained and pointed to the coffee pot sitting on the counter.

"No thanks. I was thinking about going over to the Mickey D's and buying everyone breakfast."

“I’ll go with you. I need to stop by the cigarette shop anyways.” He said and he got up from the island bar and took his empty mug to the sink. We left the house as quietly as we could and got into Zacky’s car. If I remember correctly the McDonalds isn’t too far away from here. I don’t have a clue about the cigarette shop. I saw the McDonalds’ sign and told Zacky that he can drop me off here while I get the food and he could go get his cigarettes.

“Zacky will it be too much trouble if I asked you to pick me up a few packs and a lighter?” I asked unsure.

“No trouble at all. What brand?”

“Marlboro Special Blend Black.” I said before getting out of the car.

“Alright. I’ll be back in a few minutes.” I nodded and walked inside the building. There wasn’t a lot of people in here so I took my place in line and scanned the menu to see what everyone would like. When it was my turn to order, the woman behind the counter looked at me strangely before placing the order. I stood off to the side waiting for my order while other people were getting what they wanted.

One by one each person got their meals while I was still patiently waiting. It sure does take a long time to get 14 meals ready. I could see the people in the back running around getting things done and finally a young woman who looked to be 18 or 19 sat two bags on the counter.

“I’m sorry for making you wait such a long time. One bag has all of your biscuits and the other has the potato bites.”

“It’s no trouble. Thank you.” I said smiling as I picked up the bags. I left the building and Zacky was parked in the same place he was before. I got in and closed the door.

“How long were you waiting?”

“Not too long. They were busy today.” I said as we left the McDonalds’ parking lot.

“Your smokes are in that bag at your feet.”

“Thanks again Zacky.” I said smiling.

“It’s not a problem. About yesterday…I really am sorry about what happened.”

“It’s alright really. I’ve never cared for people’s opinions of me and I’m not about to start caring now.” I said truthfully. Before I went into the service, people would express their opinions of me but the only way to make them back down and make them think that they aren’t getting to you is to just kill them with kindness.

We pulled into Matt’s driveway and parked. I gave Zacky one bag of the food while I handled the other and grabbed the brown paper bag with my cigarettes in them. We went into the house and straight to the kitchen where Matt and Payge were up and drinking the coffee Zacky had made.

“Hey guys we brought breakfast.” I said placing one of the bags on the island in front of them. Zacky did the same with his bag.

“So that’s where you went. I was wondering when I didn’t see you in your room.”

“I thought since you all gave me that party yesterday the least I could do is buy you all some breakfast.” I said grabbing out two biscuits and potato bites for each of them. We sat around eating our breakfast and talking a little bit about what are day was going to consist of. Matt and Zacky had to join the others at the studio for a long recording session today to make up for the time Matt had left to being Payge to see me.

When we finished our breakfast, I gathered everyone’s trash and threw it away. Matt and Zacky left with the McDonalds bags not too long after we finished and now Payge is upstairs getting ready while I wait down here in the kitchen for the girls to arrive. Not long after Payge had went upstairs there was a knock at the door. I got up from my seat at the table and went to the front door to let the girls in.

“Hey Blaze! Are you ready for a fun filled day of shopping?” Leana asked happily.

“I guess so.”

“Leana we’re just going with them to help get some stuff for Blaze…and maybe pick out some stuff we like as well.” Michelle said and I chuckled and let them come in.

“Where’s Payge?”

“She’s upstairs getting ready.” I said taking my seat back at the table. We sat around having a little bit of conversation on what style of clothing I liked but I really didn’t know. I mean all the style I’ve ever known was tan DBU’s and Kevlar vests. When I told them that they offered to help me find a style that would go good with me.

“You girls ready to hit the road?” Payge said scaring the three girls.

“Payge are you into scaring people now?”

“Nope. I just thought I would try it now.” She said smiling.

“I see you’re still into sarcasm though.”

“I’m fluent in sarcasm.” She said and I could believe that.

“Let’s go before we lose any more daylight.” We left the house and got into a SUV with Leana driving. It was a good drive to the mall but at least we made it. I hope Jimmy is the better driver of the couple.

They drug to me each department store and I just couldn’t find anything that I liked except for a few pairs of jeans. I haven’t found me any kind of shirts or undergarments that I even remotely liked. I was starting to think I would never find anything. Maybe I should just shop at the Wal-Mart we passed on the way in. While the girls were looking around Victoria Secrets I walked around on my own. I went into a Bath and Body Works store and bought me some new shampoo, conditioner, and body wash that I liked before leaving. I kept on looking for a store until I came to a store that was filled with the sound of rock music playing. I went into the store and looked around. I picked up a few shirts that I thought were cool and I even got me some shirts with Avenged Sevenfold’s logo on it. I have to be supportive of my brother-in-law’s band. Once I had paid for everything I wanted I left the store and continued on. I was about to stop and rest my feet but I spotted a shop a few feet away that looked interesting. I walked over to the store and went in.

This place was like my dream for anything military. They had every branch of the service and even had a few weapons on display. One of the signs under a M16 said anyone could purchase these weapons and any of the weapons plus ammunition listed in the catalog they have at the desk. Of course background checks were required as well as a legal license. Ever since my first taste of combat I’ve grown this affection for weaponry. I guess when you’re in the service you’re always looking out for a unique weapon. I went up to the desk but there wasn’t anyone there. I ringed the bell and an older gentleman came out from the back. For some reason he looked oddly familiar.

“Can I help you?”
“Yes the sign over there said I could purchase weapons here.” I said quoting the sign.

“Yes ma’am. Are you a collector?”

“Yes sir. You have some pretty good weapons that were used in the Marines.” I said smiling.

“I see you know your weapons.”

“Being in the service does that to you.” I said nodding.

“What branch?”

“The Marines. Can I ask for your name?” I asked politely.

“I’m Jeremiah Kyltowsky. It’s funny that you mentioned that you were in the Marines. My son was…before he was killed.”

“Wait…your son wouldn’t be Craig Kyltowsky would it?” I asked unsure.

“How did you know?”

“I’m Major Blaze Rossi. I wrote you the letter about your son.” I said sadly as I remembered the man.

“So you’re the Major he talked about all the time! It’s great to meet you Ma’am.”

“It’s great to meet you as well. He’s told me all about you. I must say that Craig was a great man and a funny one at that.” I said respectfully.

“Thank you. It means a lot that you would say that. You know if you need a job to help get you back on your feet, I can give you one.”

“What would I be doing?” I asked.

“Well since you know your weapons, you would inform customers who come in to buy them about the quality of them and maybe give demonstrations on how to clean and properly maintain them.”

“Sounds good to me.” I said smiling.

“You got the job. You come in first thing Monday morning. We work from 11 in the morning to 9 with a one hour lunch break at 1.”

“Sweet! Can I look at your catalog and see what I would like to purchase?” I asked and he nodded. He reached down and brought up a thick book.

“I have six more books so you can keep this one. Oh and employees get 80 percent off of all the merchandise in the catalog and store.”

“Thanks. I’ll start looking through this book tonight and make out a list of things I’ll want to buy.” I said grabbing the book. I waved goodbye to him and left the shop. I slipped the book into the bag and went to find the girls.
I found them in the food court getting something to eat so I got me something to drink since I was thirsty than anything. I sat down beside them and told them what I had found.

“What else did you get?”

“I found a really cool place that sold everything that had to do with the military and the man who owns the shop happens to be the father of a man who died in the Humvee I was riding in.” I explained and the girls looked at me with sadness in their eyes.

“Was he still grieving?”

“He seemed to be getting better but guess what?” I said smiling.

“What?”

“He offered me a job and I took it.” I said proudly.

“You’ve gotten a job already?”

“Yeah and I start on Monday. Now all I have to do is save up my money and get my own place and a car.” I said as I began planning it out in my head.

“Sis you don’t have to start planning now. I mean you can wait just a little while can’t you?”

“I don’t want to wait too long.” I said truthfully.

“But I just got you back…and now you want to leave again.”

“Payge, whenever I do move out. I’ll make sure to pick a house that’s close to you all. It’s not like I’m leaving and never coming back.” I said rubbing my hand across her back.

“Yeah you’re right.”

“I’ll be able to visit you and you can come to my workplace and see me.” I explained and she nodded. The girls finished eating and we continued on our quest to find me some other clothing.

We spent a few more hours at the mall before I finally found more clothing that I liked along with some underclothing. On the way home we stopped by the store and Payge picked up something to fix us for dinner. Leana first dropped off Michelle, then Lacey, and finally us before making her way home. I helped Payge in the kitchen as Matt came through the door. We sat around eating our dinner and talking about what we did today and I couldn’t believe that I actually found a job as quickly as I did. I’m thinking about putting some kind of idea together to honor Craig’s memory for Jeremiah. When we had our fill, I offered to help Payge but she told me to go and relax so I went up to my room and put all my clothing away. I sat in my room at the desk and wrote out my plan of what I wanted to do then I went looking through the catalog that Jeremiah had given to me. There were a lot of weaponry that I like and some I had used myself so I wrote them down and marked the page with the paper. Today I found a job and met the father of my best friend. This day was sure one interesting shopping day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please??