Ramona and Julia

Trembling

Is it cliché to say I went through majority of my life in a daze? I went to school and followed every rule my parents gave me. I dated the people my friends wanted me to. I studied as hard as I could so that I could please my teachers. Don't get me wrong, my life wasn't bad or hard. It was pleasant, but I think that's because I lived a minor life. In a book I would be one of the girls the main character past in the hall, probably closing my locker, something that wouldn't be noticed in a book... maybe a movie. Point is, my life was just there and I lived it.

There was always something missing. Nothing I noted or bothered to talk about... how could I even explain it? It was like a thought trying to form and then receding, leaving a taste of loss on your tongue. None of my friends would have understood what I meant, not that they would have cared. I was just a tag-along anyway.

Then there was college. Friends moved on. I walked the path that my parents thought would be best. I didn't make new friends, no time to squander when exams were knocking on my door.

I couldn't say that I cared, like I said... I lived in a daze. She appeared and the mist ebbed away. For the first time in my life my heartbeat quickened and fluttering butterflies assaulted my stomach. What was it about Julia Marlow that made me stumble? Not stumble... she made me fall.

And in those few seconds she saw me fall, which made a smile grace her face. Her introduction was smooth as silk and then she said something I didn't expect, “You're Ramona Vasallo, right?”