Ramona and Julia

Rambling

Funny how a simple chance meeting can turn into more. We started out as complete strangers, however we quickly became friends. In fact, Julia and I became very close over the past few months. Chatting about the future, the present, though she always became a bit tense when I mentioned the past. I don't know if she notices how her shoulders draw together a bit and her breathing becomes shallow when she wants to avoid a topic—maybe I just pay too much attention to her.

She's talking to me now, we always meet at noon for lunch at the cafe a few blocks from campus. I've never even noticed the place before. Small and cozy like a cottage but the coffee is so delicious, it fills me the same way her presence does.

Possibly... I have developed a crush? The word is so foreign on my mind's tongue.

“So, what are you doing during the weekend?” She stirs me from my thoughts. Hot steam from her mug blows away as she speaks.

“I don't know, can't think of much to do.” My eyes drift from her beautifully carved shoulders up to her sun kissed hair. I only hope what I'm feeling towards her is normal, maybe everyone falls in love with her. It's hard not to. She smells of lavender and summer and her voice reminds me of warm milk on a cold night.

Julia taps her chin, her eyebrows bunch together as if she's deep in thought. “I was thinking of having a movie night at my place... alone—wow what a boring life I lead, huh?” She laughs awkwardly.

“Not at all, I can't remember the last time I had a movie night.” The waiter poured me some more black coffee. I thanked him before turning back towards Julia, she was nodding.

“Then Saturday you and I are having a movie night! Maybe I can get you drunk and who knows what else.” She growls playfully, making me nearly choke on my coffee and dribbling some on my shirt.

“Hot, hot, hot.” When I set the cup down it clumsily spills on the table. Julia begins laughing, loving how frustrated I become so easily. I don't know what it is about watching me stumble that pleases her... but for some reason I don't mind it.

It's a good thing that I'm not wearing white or I'd have a huge brown stain. “I'm only messing, Ramona.” The way she says my name still makes my spine tingle. Julia grins into her mug while taking a sip.

“Yeah, I'm sure you say that to all the girls, huh?” I am still dabbing a napkin at my shirt. Pulling the shirt up I see a red splotch covering my usually tan skin.

“Only the pretty ones.” My breath hitches as I stare at her twinkling eyes. A wink and she's back to talking about her schedule for the rest of the week. She's a pretty busy girl. A full time student and a full time worker. I don't know how she manages everything so effectively.

At half past one we split, her going to her job at the diner down the street and I back to my classes which will stretch until late in the evening. Thankfully I don't have labs today... I feel as though everything I try to do would be completely botched.

Focusing on the material at hand is harder than anything I've ever had to face before. It's only Thursday and I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow when we meet again for lunch—and then the weekend.

Mrs. Caper's voice melts away into the background as my mind wanders.

Spring is finally settling in. Pushing the winter cold out and moving in all the flowers. I love seeing the greenery replace dead foliage. Rebirth is something that is just too beautiful to me. Often I wonder what I will be reincarnated as, if I have my wish it'll be a cardinal. A strikingly red bird soaring through the open air—like the one that sits on the windowsill. How free and exhilarating it must be to fly.

Absent minded, my notes turn into a sketch of the bird. He's staring right at me, completely still, as if he knows I am drawing him. Attempting to capture the moment with ink. As I finish with the details of his wing he takes flight, taking my breath and hopes with him.

“Ms. Vasallo.” Distantly I hear my name. “Hello, Ms. Vasallo, is everything okay?” I feel a small hand ghosting over my shoulder, jolting me back to class.

“Julia?” I turn. My face falls in disappointment. “Oh, sorry, I'm fine.” The room is quiet, looking around I notice how empty the room is.

“I was just concerned, class ended twenty minutes ago.” My professor smiles. The wrinkles around her mouth shows her life, how much she's laughed over the years. Her graying hair is pulled up into a bun that perches right at the back of her head.

Slowly I begin to put my things away. “Yeah, my head just isn't here today. I think I just need some rest.” I can feel the heat of embarrassment rising to my cheeks.

“It's no problem, dear, have a good night.” Mrs. Caper fixes the strap of her bag on her shoulder and begins her ascent up the stairs towards the exit. A good night. I feel as though everything will be good.

Smiling I nod to myself, yes, things will be good. I can feel it radiating from my bones.
♠ ♠ ♠
Scrap it? Let me know if I start moving too fast, it's been awhile since I've wrote a full chaptered story.

I'd like to thank everyone for the recommendations and comments.