Status: In Progress

A Winter Classic

Chapter Thirteen

The next night with their argument still fresh on her mind Ellie called Casey and a few other friends for a girl’s night on the town. She’d been so busy with work and seeing Phil that she hadn’t gotten to see some of these girls in a few weeks. It made her feel like a bad friend but as she looked around the table she promised herself she’d do a better job of keeping in touch with them all, not just Casey.

The club was packed tonight, one of Toronto’s many hotspots, and the music pumped so loud she could feel it in her veins. It was turning out to be exactly the kind of night she needed.

“Another round Elle?”

Jen’s voiced kicked her back into the moment. They’d been roommates in university, had bonded over their mutual hometown and when they’d come back after graduating had kept in close touch. She’d been the first person Ellie had called after Casey.

“Yeah, definitely.” Ellie confirmed as she watched Jen and Melissa disappear into the crowd. Melissa, like Casey she’d known since they were kids. When they were both well out of earshot Casey turned and looked at her.

“So what brought all this on?”

“Frustration.”

“About…”

Ellie shook her head dismissing the question.

“I really don’t wanna talk about it Case, I just wanna have fun.”

She threw back the shot in front of her, felt it burn all the way down her throat as she spotted the other girls making their way back.

“Are you alright?” she could hear the concern in Casey’s voice but she just couldn’t handle it right now. She was teetering on the edge here and even the smallest of winds would push her right over.

“Of course she’s fine.” Melissa piped in, dropping the next shot in front of her. “She’s never looked better.”

Ellie threw that one back with a laugh. Jen and Melissa had no idea how not fine she really was and they definitely wouldn’t find out tonight. Tonight she was going to let loose, have fun and enjoy being young.

“You bet your ass I’m fine.” Ellie confirmed reaching for her drink. She took a deep pull on her fruity cocktail before she felt Casey nudge the glass away from her face.

“Take it easy, I’m not carrying you outta here tonight.”

“Okay mom.” She laughed at her own joke, putting her glass down and looking around through the multicolored club lighting. When her eyes landed on a small section roped off to the side she couldn’t believe what she was seeing. She rolled her eyes spotting some of Phil’s teammates across the club sitting in a VIP area. Of all the clubs in this city they had to choose this one, the way her luck was going she didn’t know why she was surprised and she knew the moment Casey’s eyes followed hers and she made the connection.

“You wanna go somewhere else?”

Ellie shook her head, there was no way she was leaving, and most of his teammates didn’t really know who she was. She’d only seen a couple of them in passing but the one who sat in the middle, surrounded by girls might remember her. Joffrey had made a point of introducing himself on opening night, had made sure that when he was around in those few times she’d been around him that he knew she was there, that he was always watching her. She didn’t know what it was about him, what made her feel on edge but whatever it was she didn’t like it so she’d done everything she could to avoid him.

“No.” Ellie leaned in so Casey could hear her. “I doubt he’s here.”

“Okay but if you change your mind…”

“I’ll let you know.”

They finished their drinks, waited through a couple songs before she pulled Casey out onto the dance floor and the other girls followed. She was never the type to drink, but after the last few days she’d earned it. As a lightweight two drinks in she was already a little tipsy but nothing she wasn’t able to handle and in all fairness she’d probably sweat most of it off on the dance floor if she had her way.

They spent the next hour dancing, turning away guys and drinks in order to stick together as a group but when the girls turned to head back to the bar Ellie stayed behind, she just wanted to finish this last song and she was finally starting to feel really good about her decision to come out when she felt someone move in behind her.

“Hey.”

Her back stiffened at that familiar voice, turning for confirmation before she said anything but was less than surprised when she came eye to eye with Joffrey. Even through her beer goggles she was uneasy, something about Joffrey made her uneasy. From the moment she’d met him to their few run-ins between something about him just didn’t sit right with her. The way he looked at her, the constant rotation of girls, it was just so far from what she was used to that she didn’t know how to react around him.

“You look…” he paused to look her over again, made sure she knew he was looking. It made her feel cheap, she nearly walked away but he blocked her exit. “You look sexy as hell.”

“Thanks.” She rolled her eyes, turned to escape and there he was again.

“I wasn’t expecting to find you here.” He leaned in close, nearly brushing her ear as he spoke.

“This isn’t usually Phil’s kinda thing.”

“He’s not here.”

The minute she said it she regretted it, it was like dangling meat in front of a starving dog and the look in his eyes told her he’d absolutely devour her if she gave him the chance.

“All alone then.” Joffrey looked around, spotting her friend Casey down by the bar.

“Here with some friends.”

“Ah.” He confirmed. “You wanna dance?”

“Umm no thanks.”

“Come on, one dance.” He slid his hands around her pulling her closer. “Loosen up.”

She was plenty loose and not nearly drunk enough to be goaded into this.

“I said no.”

Ellie pushed him away then turned to leave, she’d only made it a few steps before she felt him grab her arm and pull her back. The momentum swung her around right into Joffrey’s chest and then his lips were on hers. At first she didn’t do anything, was too shocked to move but when the fog in her mind cleared she reached up and pushed him away, used all her strength to get him off.

“What the hell are you doing?”

She was shocked and completely confused as she brought her hand to her lips.

“If you don’t know then Phil is obviously not doing his part.”

“What the fuck is wrong with you?” she yelled. “You know I’m dating your friend.”

“Does he know that?”

“What does that mean?”

She watched him smile, like he was privy to some secrete joke that she would never understand. When he spoke again his voice was so condescending that it made her skin crawl.

“You think he’s not getting some on this side when you’re not around.” Joffrey started. “You really do don’t you?”

“What are you talking about?”

“He’s a man in the prime of his career sweetheart.” He circled around her like a shark about to strike. “With a new contract, having a great season, you think he’s looking to be tied down?”

“What do you know?” it took everything in her to not breakdown but she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction. “What the hell do you know about relationships?”

“I know what I see and hear when you’re not around.” He moved in close behind her, leaned right into her ear. “I know you know I’m right.”

She wanted to slap him, was so close but instead chose to walk away before she did something she’d regret. Stumbling through the club she looked for signs of Casey, was nearly in tears when she found her.

“Elle what’s wrong?" Casey’s voiced cleared the remaining fog in her head. "What happened?”

“I need to get out of here, now.”

“But what happened?”

“Please Casey.” The tears returned again and it took everything to swallow them back. “I need to go.”

She turned away from her about to walk away when she felt Casey stop her.

“Calm down, I’ll take you home…”

Ellie shook her head, she couldn’t go home, not now when he would be so close to her and she couldn’t trust herself to not do something stupid. Maybe Joffrey was right, maybe he was getting what he wanted elsewhere and that was why he wasn’t sleeping with her, it wasn’t unheard of. She knew how some of these guys were, heard the stories and as much as she wanted to believe in what she and Casey had talked about the little nugget of doubt was even bigger now.

“I can’t go home, not tonight.”

“Okay calm down.” Casey wrapped her in her arms, hugged her tightly before she let go again.

“You can come stay with me; let’s get you out of here.”

They met up with the rest of the girls, let them know they were leaving before they hit coat check and were out the door. The cold night air sobered Ellie immediately, whatever alcohol that was left in her was gone now and the last few days came crashing down on her head. She just wanted to cry, wanted to completely break down and just let it all out but she promised herself she wouldn’t do it, not till she was away from this club and in privacy. As she slid into the backseat of their cab, followed but Casey, she took a deep breath. She didn’t wanna talk, not now, she just wanted to go and as the cab pulled away she closed her eyes and leaned against the window. She’d shut it all out now and deal with the consequences later.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story maaaaaaaaaaaaay actually hit 100 subscribers! That's so amazing guys, thank you!