Status: In Progress

A Winter Classic

Chapter Sixteen

Phil sat in the far corner of the Tim Horton’s, spinning his phone as he waited for Casey to show up. He’d called her earlier, asked if she’d be able to meet him after she’d finished working and they’d agreed to meet here, only Casey was fifteen minutes late. He’d tried shooting her a text but they’d gone unanswered and he was about to leave when he watched her come crashing through the door. Teetering on heels as high as he’d ever seen he wondered how she got around with the weather as bad as it was but he didn’t question it as he watched her indicate the counter with her head. After she collected her order he watched her make her way over to where he sat, plopping down across from him.

“Sorry I know.” She started pulling the lid off her coffee cup. “The subway was a nightmare.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“I saw that look in your eye; you were ready to leave any minute.”

“Maybe.” He joked watching her take her food apart.

“So what’s going on?” Casey took a sip of her coffee, which was still too hot, then pushed it away opting for her donut instead.

“I wanna do something for Ellie’s birthday.” He started to explain. “But I promised her I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it.

Casey nodded in agreement, like she’d made that same promise.

“I was hoping that maybe I could get you to get her out of the house for a few hours.”

“I could do that.” Casey agreed. “We always meet for lunch on our birthdays, does that help?”

“Yeah.” He nodded. “I was thinking maybe you guys could head to a spa or something, give me a few hours to set a few things up.”

Well she definitely liked that suggestion, she could always use a good spa day and Ellie had been working so hard she’d appreciate it too.

“Well you know what she likes.” He started sliding a piece of paper out of his coat and across to her. “One of the guy’s wives gave me a list of a few places she likes, have you heard of any of these?”

Casey took the list looked it over and recognized a few of the places. They were all pretty high end but the one on the bottom of the list she recognized immediately. It was one of those places that was not only pricey but hard to get into; she only knew that because her firm had actually done some PR work for them a few years back.

“Their all good options.” She shrugged. “The last place is definitely the nicest but it’s more pricey and hard to get into.”

She knew he had more than enough money and if he wanted to he would have the pull to get them in there but she definitely didn’t have the money to keep up.

“This one here.” She pointed to the spa above that last. “We’ve been there before, it’s pretty good.”

Phil’s eyes followed her fingers down the list as she explained what she liked or disliked about the places on his list. He’d done a little bit of research once he’d gotten the list but he knew Casey would be his best bet to pick the best place.

“You think she’d like this one?” he pointed to the place on the bottom of the list. While Casey was right, it was more expensive than the others they also had more to offer, which would keep them busier for a longer period of time and he really needed all the time he could get to get things right.

“I think she’d love it.”

“Great, I’ll give them a call and take care of it tomorrow then.”

“Okay.” She mentally started going through her bank accounts, trying to figure out where she could save some money to afford it. The puzzled look while she did that had Phil second guessing his choice.

“You think it’s too much?”

“No I think she’s gonna love it.”

“Then what’s the look?”

“No look.”

She smiled at him reaching for her coffee again.

“I appreciate your help Casey.”

“It’s nothing.”

“Not just with this…” he left the sentence hanging there. He knew Casey was a big part of Ellie’s life and when they had been at an impasse he knew she’d helped her through it. They’d come out of the other side stronger than ever with Casey’s help.

“I’m really glad it worked out.”

And she was, her best friend deserved to be happy and he was making her happier then she’d ever been.

“Me too.” He agreed picking at the imaginary lint on his jeans. “Listen I’d like to cover this for you too if you’d let me.”

She looked at him like he was crazy but he was serious. She’d done a lot to help him and was doing the same now to get Ellie out of the house; he didn’t want her to worry about paying for anything.

“That’s really nice of you but you really don’t have to.”

“I’d really like to.” He started. “I know this place is expensive, and I picked it, so I don’t want you to worry about it.”

He watched Casey really think it over before she spoke.

“Are you sure?”

“I’m positive.” Phil confirmed with a nod. “I appreciate everything you’ve done over the last few weeks and I want you both to enjoy it.”

Casey was speechless for a minute and if she was honest she was falling a little in love with him now, her best friend was a lucky lady.

“You really don’t have to…”

“It’s done.” He confirmed. “You get her there and back and I’ll call it even.”

“Deal.”

She could accomplish that no problem and a day of beauty was just a much welcomed bonus.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a little bridge chapter, the next will be up within a few days. Thanks for sticking with me everybody, you are amazing!