Status: In Progress

A Winter Classic

Chapter Four

After parting ways with Casey, Ellie continued on with her day. Picking up a few groceries and snacks for tonight before heading home. She was barely in the door when her phone started going off like crazy, text after text flooded in before she actually managed to put the groceries bags down and pull her phone out. They were all from Casey, the first was a link to an article the rest random signs, smiles and overall gibberish. Ellie pulled her coat off, sitting on the couch while the link loaded on her phone. She had just finished reading the headline before her phone went off again.

Kessel Signs Eight-Year, $64 Million Dollar Deal.

She ignored Casey, read through the article not once but twice before she switched over to their text thread.

Casey: OMG!

Casey: CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

Casey: …

Casey: YOU’RE DATING A MILLIONAIRE! A BIG FAT MILLIONAIRE WHO’S GOING TO BE SPENDING THE NEXT EIGHT YEARS IN OUR BEAUTIFUL CITY! IT’S A SIGN FROM GOD!

Casey: ELLOUISE DON’T YOU IGNORE ME!

Well this was awkward.

Ellie: I’m here.

She didn’t really know what else to say, honestly she was still digesting everything she’d just read.

Casey: That’s it, that’s all you have to say to that.

Well no, she was happy that Casey had switched back to lowercase letters too but she didn’t think that was the kinda thing she wanted to hear right now.

Ellie: You know I don’t care how much money he’s making, I don’t need a sugar daddy.

Sure she was still paying back her student loans but she made more than enough money to keep her not only comfortable but with plenty to put in savings too. Her apartment had been the most extravagant thing she’d ever purchased and lord knows she’d mulled over that decision for days.

Casey: I know but that doesn’t hurt ;) And now you know where he’ll be for the next 8 years!

She did, that contract was as big of a reassurance as any player would get. It was a time period that would allow you to live a life, maybe even put down roots. It was about as permanent as a hockey player could ask for but nothing was ever a guarantee.

Casey: Why do I feel like I just delivered bad news? You were just talking about how you were going to go with your gut; doesn’t this make you feel even a little better?

Not really.

Ellie: It’s not bad news it’s just, I dunno, do I mention it? Should I send him a text or something?

All she could think about was whether she should send him a text and congratulate him. Maybe call? She couldn’t ignore it; he would know that she now knew and just thinking about it gave her a headache. When had dating become so complicated?

Casey: Of course you should call him!

Ellie: You don’t think it weird? Like “hey, congratulations on all your money.”

Casey: Just think of it like a promotion. If I got a promotion you’d call me wouldn’t you?

She would, of course she would. Casey was right, if she didn’t say something she’d feel like an ass when she saw him next.

Ellie: You’re right. I’m gonna do it now before I lose my nerve, I’ll see you tonight.

She knew if she didn’t do it now she’d over think it and eventually lose her nerve. She found his name in her contacts, hit the call button and prayed it rolled to voice mail. When the robotic voice repeated the number back at her with no name identifying the voice mails owner she almost laughed; somehow she wasn’t surprised to not hear his voice.

“Hey Phil its Ellie.” She shifted in her seat. “I just got a message from Casey, well a few messages from Casey about your new contract…”

So far, so good she thought.

“So I thought, well, congratulations!” she paused realizing she had nowhere to go to from there and was silent for nearly a minute till she remembered she was actually still holding the phone.

“Umm Yeah, I… just… wanted… to… say… that…” she punctuated each word as if it was its own sentence, stretching out that one sentence into several long awkward pauses. In that moment she literally smacked herself in the face, what an idiot.

“God this has to be the worst message I’ve ever left in my life!” she confessed with a nervous laugh. “Anyways congratulations on your new contract.”

She was rambling and repeating herself, why didn’t she think this out before she called?

“Umm, I’ll be waiting for your call. Bye.”

She hung up quickly, completely mortified at herself before sinking into the sofa in total shame.

-----

To add insult to injury not only had Casey laughed at her when she’d retold her story about the message; her beloved Canadiens had lost as well. The only saving grace in their 4-3 loss was the fact that Phil had only notched a single assist; something she was sure he’d hold over her if he called.

Ellie had just ushered Casey out the door and started getting ready for bed when that message crept back into her mind again; she’d pretty much resigned herself to the fact that he wasn’t going to call, not when she’d made such a fool of herself.

With a sigh she flipped off the light switch and slid into bed; only then did she realize it was just past midnight and with so much running through her mind she reached over and turned on the TV. Hoping the noise would drown out the sound of her over thinking Ellie skipped through channel after channel then nearly jumped out of her skin when her phone rang. Only one person called her at this time so without even checking the caller ID she picked up.

“No Case, he didn’t call.” she said into the phone muting the TV.

She’d told Casey that she wasn’t holding out hopes on that call anymore, that she might have blown any chance of seeing him again but it had been hard to hide her disappointment.

“So I didn’t wake you then?”

Phil replied with a question instead of a greeting but the effect on her was the same. She shot up in bed, knocking the remote to the ground.

“Oh! Hey, no, I was just watching some TV.” She explained sitting against the headboard.

“Good.” she could practically hear the smile on his face, knew what was coming. “I got your message.”

She could have died right there. Despite the fact that it just wasn’t possible she’d prayed with everything in her that somehow he wouldn’t get it, that it would just mysteriously disappear never to be heard. Surprisingly that was not the case.

“And you still called?” She stated. “You must love to witness embarrassment.”

He laughed and so did she, in that moment she was so happy he couldn’t see the bright flame of embarrassment she felt spreading across her face.

“I told you I would.”

And he’d meant it. Hearing her voice, and that message, had made him laugh which he was sure had not been her intention but it hadn’t stopped him from wanting to call.

“You did.” She confirmed. “It didn’t come out like I wanted but really I just wanted to say congratulations, 8 years, that’s a pretty big commitment.”

“Thank you.” He started sitting back in his seat. “Thanks for calling.”

He didn’t know which one of them was going to be the one to bring it up first. It wasn’t so much the topic of money or even the contract that made him uncomfortable it was knowing that someone had to bring up the elephant in the room. He’d been relieved that she’d brought it up even if it had sounded like one of the most uncomfortable things she’d ever done in her life.

“I guess I’ll never be able to influence you over to my side now, will I?”

“No, but I’ll have another 8 years to bring you home.”

Ellie’s laughed boomed through the speaker; it was almost like she was in the room with him.

“Wow.” She laughed. “Looks like that big contract has gone right to your head huh?”

He shrugged his shoulders then realized she wasn’t actually there.

“I’m still trying to decide whether I’ll let it change me or not.”

She’d never expected him to be so quick witted and sarcastic, it was probably the most pleasant surprise she’d gotten so far.

“Well if it counts for anything I wouldn’t let it.”

She knew he was joking, only stupid people let money change them and he definitely wasn’t that. After a brief pause Phil changed the subject.

“So did you manage to catch the game tonight?”

She could practically hear the smile on his face as he gloated. He knew she’d seen it, had pictured her sitting in her living room with Casey, dressed in their opposing jerseys and fighting it out like they had on the ice.

“I know, it’s been a big day for you.”

“I tried to prepare you.” He explained. “But you were just too stubborn to see it.”

She rolled her eyes laughing at his words; he had no idea how stubborn she could be.

“I hope you know I’m rolling my eyes at you right now.”

“I bet.”

He laughed and she heard someone call him in the background.

“Listen I gotta go, we’re about to head to the airport but I’ll call you tomorrow?”

“Okay.”

She was just about to say goodbye before she thought of something better.

“Hey!” she started. “Do us all a favor and beat those damn Flyers.”

He laughed again and so did she.

“Finally something we can agree on.” He picked up his bag, throwing it over his shoulder. “You going to watch?”

“I might.”

“Then we’ll pick this up after.”

“It’s a date.”

Well not a date but a meeting? Appointment? Conference? No, none of that sounded right.

“It is.” He confirmed. “Goodnight Ellie.”

“Night.”