Status: In Progress

A Winter Classic

Chapter Seven

Ellie’s week off was coming to an end but not before the big game, opening night at the Air Canada Centre with Casey in tow. They’d pulled up to the box office to pick up their tickets and were in line waiting to be let in when Ellie turned toward Casey, eyes serious.

“What?” Casey asked arms crossed at her chest.

“You’re going to behave right?” she asked. “Please Case I don’t need any more help making a fool of myself.”

If she was being honest she’d been worried about this game since he’d suggested it. Had had a hell of a time trying to figure out exactly what to wear, eventually she’d settled on something neutral.

“I’m totally cool, you know that.”

“Yeah that’s what I’m scared of.”

They made their way past security, through the beer line and headed for their seats. Ellie trailed behind as Casey counted down the rows she passed, she could hear the excitement in her voice as they moved closer and closer to the front. Pausing a few rows away from the home bench she did a little dance, and then turned to Ellie.

“I love your new boyfriend.”

“He’s not my boyfriend.”

“Well if you don’t want him, there’s an arena full of girls who might take him off your hands.”

“Trust me.” She confirmed. “I know.”

Ellie sat down in her seat pulling off her coat and settling in.

“Okay what happened?”

“Nothing, it’s stupid.”

“Obviously not.”

Casey sat next to her, coat off, Lupul jersey in place.

“It’s just things are going really well.” Ellie explained turning towards her. “But I can’t compete with this.”

She looked around the jam packed arena, thought about the hundreds of people outside waiting to watch on the big screen. She’d spotted more than 20 jerseys with his name on them just since she’d sat down; both on guys and girls but it was the girls she was worried about. There would always be girls, girls who were smarter than her, girls who were prettier than her, girls with more time to devote to him.

“I don’t think he’s looking for you to compete Elle.” Casey empathized. “Knowing what I know about him he’s probably looking for the exact opposite.”

“Then there’s that.” She pointed out. “When you settle eventually you get bored.”

“Is that what you think he’s doing?”

“I dunno.” She confessed. “I’ve got a lot going on; I can’t just be free in the drop of a dime and I’m sure some of these girls wouldn’t think twice about things like that.”

And while she enjoyed being home this week, enjoyed having the free time to work around his schedule soon the bubble would burst and Monday morning she’d be back to work.

“Have you talked to him about that?”

“No.” she shook her head. “I wanted to, kinda just get it all out there but then we just end up having so much fun I kinda forget about it.”

“Well maybe that’s a sign.”

“What do you mean?”

Casey took a sip of her beer, really thought about what she was going to say before actually saying the words.

“You’re having fun, he’s having fun, just have fun Elle.” She started. “You’ve got this great job you love and your life is pretty amazing, maybe this boy is the last piece.”

“Isn’t it a little early to think like that?”

It had barely been a week, an amazing week, but barely a week.

“And you’ve been happier, more excited, confused and embarrassed this one week then I’m pretty sure you were the entire time with that last guy.”

Casey had seen the changes in her friend. Admittedly Ellie had always been the type to fall hard and fall fast and it had always gotten her in trouble but seeing the way she was attempting to guard herself this time, the way she worried about things that had never mattered Casey knew it was different. She’d spent every day since they met with him, talking to him or talking about him.

“I know you’re always worried about rushing things but sometimes you just know.”

Ellie laughed, Casey would feel that way, she was a product of the heart. Her parents had been together for barely a month before they’d gotten married and all these years later they were still going strong. Ellie on the other hand hadn’t seen a functional relationship like that, her mom had raised her and Nick by herself and though she’d been in a few relationships throughout none had even lasted.

“You’re such a hopeless romantic Case.” Ellie teased. “Your parents have set you up for disaster.”

“Make fun of me all you want but I know in my heart that sometimes you just know.”

Ellie rolled her eyes, she didn’t dispute what Casey felt, how she made her decisions but she’d never really experience anything like what she described.

“I’m not saying this is it but I’ve known you a long time and I’ve never seen you so smitten.”

“Smitten?”

“Yeah I couldn’t think of a better word, sue me.”

Casey blew a raspberry at her with a laugh.

“I do really like him Case, like a lot.”

Ellie looked across the ice as all the players circled for warm ups. Her eyes landed on him then swung back to Casey.

“It feels crazy when I think about the fact that it’s only been a week but…”

She shrugged her shoulders taking a sip of her beer.

“You wanna know what I think?”

“Do I have a choice?”

“No.” Casey turned in her seat, beer in one hand and reached out for Ellie’s hand with the other. “Honestly Elle I feel like you might be really feeling things for the first time.”

Casey explained giving her a reassuring squeeze.

“I know you were with Mark for a long time but I don’t think I’ve ever seen you like this.”

She’d been with Mark for almost two years when they’d gotten to the point where it was time to move to the next step or split up. He’d contemplated moving to the next step but in her heart she knew that wasn’t what she had wanted.

“You don’t think I’m just setting myself up for a fall?”

“I don’t really know him Elle.” Casey countered. “But I know you and sometimes it’s better to fall and be disappointed then sit back and never know.”

Casey was right of course, she’d been sitting on the sidelines since Mark and if she was being honest they’d pretty much coasted through the last year of their relationship.

“Plus if all he’s looking for is a girl to pat him on the ass and tell him how great he is then he doesn’t deserve you.” Casey commented. “You’re a catch and he’d be damn lucky to have you.”

This is what best friends were for and as far as best friend went Casey was the best anyone could ask for.

“You’re such a sap Case.” Ellie gave her a shove as the music in the arena lowered and the announcer asked them all to rise for the national anthem. Standing side by side she mumbled along with the anthem, thinking of everything Casey had said. She nearly missed the puck drop as she continued to stand while everyone around her now sat. Casey reached up, grabbed the back of her sweater and pulled her down into her seat.

“Just enjoy the game.” She started. “You don’t have to decide the rest of your life tonight.”

-----

When the game ended she followed the instructions he’d left behind in the envelope, found a security guard named Andrew who’d led her and Casey down to the family waiting area. There were several families there, people who she didn’t recognize and who didn’t recognize her so for a few minutes they just sat there looking at each other. Daring someone to say something first.

“Well this is awkward.” Casey mumbled under her breath which caused them both to laugh.

They sat looking at each other for a bit, passing the time with small chitchat and when the door swung open she spotted Tyler immediately.

“Hey Tyler.” She reached up to hug him then pulled back. “Good game.”

“Thanks.”

He looked over at Casey then back at Ellie.

“Tyler this is my friend Casey, Casey you know Tyler.”

“It’s nice to meet you.”

Ellie watched her out of the corner of her eye, was impressed as Casey acted like a normal human being.

“You too.” She started. “I’m a big fan.”

“And your friends with this traitor.” Tyler indicated Ellie with a thumb in her direction, laughed when she narrowed her eyes.

“Well your buddy’s the one dating her.”

“There’s no accounting for taste.”

“I’m sorry you do know I can hear you right?” Ellie pouted looking at the two of them. Just when she’d thought Casey was on her side here she was throwing her to the wolves. She heard Tyler laugh, throwing his arm around her shoulders.

“It’s okay, we’ll fix you.”

“Oh god not you too.” She shoved his arm away moving from the two of them and bumping right into someone else.

“I’m so sorry.” Ellie apologized whipping around right into someone’s chest. Her eyes traveled up the long torso covered in faded pattern. Up into a face she recognized instantly, Joffrey Lupul.

“Don’t worry about it.” He smiled down at her, looking her directly in the eye before introducing himself with a confidence only an NHL-er could possess. “Joffrey.”

“Ellie.” He shook her hand lingering a little long before finally letting go.

“What’s a beautiful girl like you doing back here all alone?”

Ellie laughed nervously looking around for Casey, when they locked eyes she watched her friend make her way over. Casey knew that look and she was ready to swoop in for the rescue.

“Oh I’m not alone.” Ellie began as Casey stopped beside her. “I’m here with my friend Casey, Casey you know Joffrey right?”

Ellie slid away nervously as Casey bailed her out of what was sure to be an uncomfortable situation. When she looked around she spotted Tyler and made her way towards him; was just about to say something when Phil pushed through the doors. Be lining for him instead she weaved through people till she reached where he was, throwing her arms around him before he even had a chance to speak.

“Well hello handsome.” Ellie pulled back looking at him in his dark grey suit. It was the most dressed up she’d ever seen him but that hadn’t stopped the appearance of that beanie.

“I’ll take that.” He lifted her off her feet before setting her back down pressing his lips to hers.

“That was a close call huh?” She asked brows winging up. “You drag me down here then almost lose.”

Ellie teased watching his eyes narrow on her.

“We made a lot of mistakes, not the best…” Ellie pressed her hand to his lips cutting him off mid-sentence.

“I was kidding.” She laughed. “You guys did great.”

It had been a battle, all the way through overtime and into a shootout. She’d actually been really nervous the whole time, which she hadn’t expected, hoping they’d win even though it went against ever drop of Habs blood in her body. He shrugged at her words opened his mouth to say something when Casey’s boisterous laugh cut him off.

“Well I see Casey’s still in one piece.”

“No one is more surprised by that then I am.” Ellie laughed. “She did promise to be on her best behavior though.”

She watched Casey laugh at something Joffrey said then ask a question of her own.

“You guys heading out to celebrate? Big win!”

She had no idea what they did after games, what they’re plans were tonight but she didn’t wanna get in the way.

“Not tonight.” Phil began. “I’m ready to get out of these clothes and relax.”

“You sure?” Ellie asked. “I heard some of the guys talking about heading to some club.”

“I’m positive.” He looked around the room locking eyes with Tyler, letting him know he was ready to go when Tyler was ready. “You ready to go?”

“I’m ready when you are.”

They said their goodbyes, parting ways with his team and Casey before hoping into Tyler’s car and heading back home. The ride up the elevator was fairly quiet before they split ways on their floor.

“I’m just going to go change; I’ll meet you back here in like 15 minutes?”

“Okay.” Ellie confirmed. “I’ll leave the door open, just let yourself in.”

She watched him disappear into his place as she did into hers. Ellie ran around her bedroom, throwing stray clothing into the hamper before changing into a pair of yoga pants and a t-shirt. She’d just slid the t-shirt over her head when she’d heard the door open and close.

“Ellie?”

“In the bedroom, give me a second.”

She brushed out her hair, straightening the flyways before flipping off the light and making her way to the living room.

“I’m going to make some popcorn; you wanna find something to watch?” Ellie grabbed the bag, throwing it into the microwave. Hitting the start button she watched him grab her remote and turn the TV on. The best thing about this place was the open concept. She loved being in the kitchen but still having the ability to see what was going on in her living room.

“Any good movies?” she asked hopping up on her counter.

“I dunno, I did just turn it on.”

She laughed as she watched him sit on her couch, sinking into the soft leather seat. Phil flipped through the channels, feeling her eyes from behind him as the smell of popcorn filled the air. Eventually they settled on a movie and she moved back to the couch with popcorn and drinks. She dropped down next to him, bowl in her lap as the opening credits rolled by.

“This can’t be the post-game celebration you were hoping for?” Ellie asked grabbing her first hand of popcorn. “After the first win at home, all that energy, you didn’t have to come back with me.”

“I didn’t but I wanted to.” He reached in the bowl taking a handful himself. “This is just what I needed.”

“You sure?”

“Trust me.”

He would spend plenty of time during this season out celebrating; tonight he’d really wanted nothing more than to relax after a long day. First games were always exciting but they were also some of the most exhausting. Getting back into the swing of the season, dealing with the media, it made for a long day.

“Well thanks for the tickets, I had fun.” Ellie started grabbing a second handful. “You spoiled Casey though; she’ll never wanna sit anywhere else again.”

The both laughed and as he reached for the bowl she scooted even closer to him.

“I’m glad.” He began. “All a part of my plan to slowly win you over to our side.”

“Keep dreaming buddy.” She threw the remaining kernels in her hand at him, laughing as one stuck against his hat. He laughed with her, picking up the stray kernels and popping them into his mouth as the movie began.

Ellie barely made it halfway through before falling asleep against the warmth of his body. Once the closing credited ended he watched her for a minute, curled up against him, softly sleeping against his chest. Running his fingers through her hair he pressed his lips to her forehead.

“Ellie?” He called her name giving her a little shake when she didn’t respond he tried again.

“Hmm?” she moaned shifting against him.

“I think you might be ready for bed.”

“No, no…” she turned a little bit buried in his shoulder. “The movies just getting good.”

He couldn’t help it, in that moment he laughed, laughed until her eyes pushed open and looked up at him.

“Movies over Elle.”

It was the first time he hadn’t called her Ellie and even through her sleepy haze she noticed.

“What? It is?” she sprung up then turning towards the TV which was blacked out. “What happened?”

“You fell asleep.”

“What time is it?” Ellie asked squinting her eyes in a failing attempt to read her clock. The last thing she remembered was putting the bowl of popcorn in his lap before making herself comfortable then it was all black.

“Just past 2.”

“Too early to be awake.” Ellie moaned turning back into the warm spot she’d just abandoned.
“You can’t stay on this couch all night.”

“But I’m so comfortable here.” Ellie whined closing her eyes again. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d been so warm and relaxed. If he was planning on leaving it would have to be soon or she’d never let him go.

“I could stay if you want.” He offered with a shrug. “But I’m not sleeping on this couch.”

That caught Ellie’s attention; she opened her eyes again looking up at him.

“I do have a bed, big enough for two.”

“Then lead the way.”

It took a beat for Ellie to move but when she did he got up and followed, around the kitchen and down the hall to the open door at the end. She didn’t even bother to flip the lights on, pulling the duvet and sheet down by moonlight she slid under the sheets before he did. Sidling up next to him she buried herself right back in the spot she’d been using on the couch.

“You can watch some TV if you want.” Ellie yawned, eyes closed. “Remotes right next to you.”
She was moving on autopilot now, practically talking in her sleep.

“Go back to sleep Elle.” He slid his fingers through her hair, watched her painted fingers move across his chest resting against his ribs.

“Okay…”

Whatever else she had to say died on her lips as her breath evened out and sleep won the battle. Phil watched her sleep, looked around at the small details in her room before eventually he fell asleep too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know its kind of been a slow burn to really get into this but I had a lot of fluffy chapters I needed to get out of my system first haha I promise it'll get juicy soon :-P