Status: In Progress

A Winter Classic

Chapter Nine

Time flew after that, before she knew it, it was mid-November and winter as well as the hockey season was in full swing. When she’d gone back to work seeing each other had become a little harder, when she was busy Phil was free and vice versa but they’d managed. Skype and cellphones had made situations like theirs easier, made things more manageable, honestly she couldn’t imagine how people had dealt with this kind of separation before their invention. Ellie was actually thinking about how fast time had escaped her when the elevator doors opened to their floor. She grabbed her bag off the floor and walked through spotting Tyler on his way out the door.

“Hey Ty, on your way to practice?” she asked watching him close the door.

“I am.”

“Aren’t you missing someone?”

“Nope.” He shook his head. “Your boyfriends still not feeling great.”

The cold that had been circling the team for the last few weeks had now made its way across her hall. She hadn’t actually been about to set eyes on Phil in the last three days but she could tell by his voice that it had hit him despite his best efforts.

“Bad enough that he’s missing practice?”

Ellie was surprised to hear that, when it came to work he was never one to sit back so that worried her a little bit.

“They thought it was better to sit him out so he’d be ready to play tonight.”

Tyler shrugged his shoulders looking down at the time on his phone; if he didn’t leave soon he’d be late.

“Not to cut this short but I better go.” He started. “You want in?”

He indicated the door with his head.

“I’ll keep an eye on him for you.”

Tyler shuffled over, opening the door for her to step through.

“I’ll see you guys later.”

“Have a good practice.”

She watched him shut the door, throwing the lock in place behind her as she looked out to the empty living room. It was eerily quiet in here, almost silent except for the muffled sound of a TV coming from the bedroom. Slowly she made her way to the door, knocking lightly in case he was asleep but when he called out she opened the door.

“Hey babe.” She slid in the door, closing it behind her. “How are you feeling?”

It had been nearly three days since he’d actually laid eyes on her and she’d been right, some days it was hard especially knowing she was right next door but seeing her face made all those days worth it. In such a short time Ellie had made a huge impact on his life, it was like he was no longer alone in this, it felt like this season, this year was going to be a turning point for him and somehow he knew it had all started with her.

“I’m okay.”

She watched him shrug his shoulders with a smile, reaching over he flipped the comforter down, inviting her to slide in next to him. Ellie jumped up onto the bed moving close to him before he closed the gap, dropping his head into her lap.

“How’s your hand?”

He flexed said hand against her thigh, gripping then releasing. It was getting better; it wouldn’t stop him from doing what he needed to do, he’d just play through it.

“A little stiff.”

He’d taken a few slashed in the last couple weeks, had been wearing a bandage at games but the stiffness was starting to get better just as this cold had started spreading though the team. It just seemed to be one thing after another lately.

Ellie reached down pulling that ever present black beanie off his head, slipping it onto her own as she began running her fingers through his hair. When he turned his body completely into hers, arm draped across her lap she knew she had him.

“If you keep doing that you’re gonna put me to sleep.”

“Maybe that’s my plan.”

And it was working, she watched his eyes slowly drift closed.

“But I haven’t seen you in days.”

He yawned eyes closed.

“I’m not going anywhere.”

She watched as he fought a few times before his breath finally evened out and sleep won. It was the best thing for him, the best thing to help him overcome this before it moved into full blown sickness and she’d sit here to make sure that he slept but that he also got up in time to get ready for his game tonight. Reaching for the remote she turned the TV down before she began surfing for something to watch.

-----

Ellie reached over, looping the tie several times before sliding it into place. Straightening the collar on his shirt she slid her hands down his chest, resting them against the lapels of his grey suit. She could feel his heartbeat pumping in a steady pace, felt the steady rhythm thumping against her palms.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

She looked into his face with a smile before continuing.

“Please don’t feel like you have to say yes.” She started. “And I want you to think about it, I don’t need an answer right away.”

Phil reached up stopping her hands from moving, trapping them between his own.

“Elle what is it?”

“Do you remember when I told you about Ryan?”

Ryan had been the first kid she’d ever looked after when she’d started at Sick Kids. He’d been this shy little four year old with osteosarcoma in his right leg. After nearly a year of treatment and the amputation of his lower leg she’d sent him and his family home with Ryan declared in remission. Over the years his parents had kept in touch, sending her pictures and updates, she’d even received letters from him but knowing that he was out there and he was better had done more for her then anything. That was until the day she’d gone into work and seen his name on the whiteboard. Those bold, block letters had sat like led in her belly till she’d been able to confirm it was in fact him, that his cancer had returned and he was back at Sick Kids three years after she’d sent him home. Now after months and months of treatments he was fighting, it wasn’t getting any easier but he was always fighting with a smile and Ellie had tried to think of something she could do to lift his spirits.

“Yeah.”

“He’s been having a really rough time lately…” she paused taking a breath. No matter how many times she dealt with it this never got any easier, seeing people suffer was always hard. “He’s such a big fan; I was wondering maybe if I could get you to sign something for him, I know it would mean the world to him.”

It was weird asking for things like this, she felt strange enough taking tickets from him to attend games but she’d told herself that if she had to suffer a little embarrassment to get this for Ryan then she would. She felt his finger slide across her cheek, wiping away that one tear she hadn’t been able to hold in. Not getting attached was the hardest part of her job, the part she was the worst at and with Ryan it was impossible.

“Elle…”

She shook her head effectively cutting him off.

“Think about it, please.” She asked. “I know it’s kind of a weird thing to ask but I know what it would mean to him and I just wanna lift his spirits a bit.”

He knew he’d do it, absolutely. Not just because it clearly meant so much to her, or because it had been the first thing she’d ever really asked him for but because this little boy was suffering from something he hadn’t asked for and if something as trivial as his name on a jersey could help he’d do it.

“I’ll think about it, I promise.”

“Good.” She nodded. “Now get out of here, you’ve got a game to win.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is a short one guys, it's more of a bridge chapter to help get where I'm going next, still I hope you enjoy it!