‹ Prequel: Avidity
Sequel: Sinister
Status: Sequel to Avidity. Complete.

Beyond

Treacherous

After revealing that Daniel had visited and that I was afraid of dying at John's hands, I left the kitchen, got dressed, and slipped out of the apartment before Devon knew what happened. I couldn't have him looking for me, because then he would be in danger.

John was eliminating people in my life, anyone who got in his way.

He was going to kill Devon, if I didn't do something to stop him. Stepping back inside, I saw Devon looking at me, a cup of coffee in his hands.

"Going somewhere?" he asked.

"No." I buried my face in his chest. "You are."

"Is that so?"

"You have to," I urged.

"Eden, slow down." He put his coffee down and held me at arms-length. "What's happening? You slipped out—yes, I saw that—and now you're telling me that I have to leave."

"John."

That was all he needed. Just the name. Then he crushed me to him. "I will not let him hurt you. Do you understand me?" he whispered fiercely.

I blinked back tears and wrapped my arms around his waist. "He will hurt you. Do you understand that? He'll kill you."

His next words chilled me.

"Then let him." Devon's eyes were hard. He cupped my face in his hands. "I'll die to protect you from that treacherous bastard."