‹ Prequel: Avidity
Sequel: Sinister
Status: Sequel to Avidity. Complete.

Beyond

Insatiable

The moment the knife entered Sophia's neck, that was the moment that changed my existence. It was the moment that I realized I wasn't normal, that I was a monster, and this human skin, this charming exterior, was my disguise.

I was a man of violence and blood.

I was a killer.

I grinned as I watched the woman and man walk into the park. It had taken the good doctor quite some time to get her out of that small apartment. She was afraid. I could practically smell the fear rolling off of her, there was so much.

My eyes followed her, as she stayed close to the man she thought would keep her safe. I almost laughed. I could kill him before either of them knew what had happened. When they stopped walking and embraced, he tucked her head beneath his chin and tightened his grip.

Annoyance spiked inside me. I wanted to reach them, snap his neck, then slit her throat. I'd watch her bleed, all over the playground where the children played. There would be chaos. But instead I looked on as they sat on a bench and huddled together.

I wondered if Eden could sense me. If she saw me in every person's face that she passed. If she thought of me, while making love to him. The last thought caused anger to flare, and I closed my eyes, envisioning her underneath me, bloody and broken.

When they stood, I crouched lower, pressing myself against the leaves. The woods provided secrecy, and her eyes would not find me here, but I could see them. I could see the way he touched her back, her hair, or her face.

I wanted to take her from him.

And I would.

I was insatiable.