‹ Prequel: Avidity
Sequel: Sinister
Status: Sequel to Avidity. Complete.

Beyond

Twisted

The park was full of people, and all of them could be like John—a killer. It was becoming too hard to trust anyone anymore, and even as I sat with Devon, I worried about him. Not that he was some sort of twisted person on the inside, but rather what he thought of me now.

"It was greed," I said, "that's why John did what he did."

Devon shifted beside me. "Avidity is a better word for it." He turned his head, scanning the area. "Do you think he'll be watching you?"

I shook my head. "He's a fugitive. People would recognize him. His face has been all over the news for the last couple of months."

"As smart as he is, he would be stupid to come out of hiding now." He was quiet for a moment, then, "You've been to his house. I mean, you were trapped in his basement for a while, weren't you?"

"Yes," I answered. "But he wouldn't go back there. Don't you know anything about killers?"

Devon shrugged. "Not as much as you, apparently. Your job is to—"

I glanced at him, tucking my hair behind my ears. "My job was to help put criminals away, but not anymore. They couldn't accept that I put my fears before my work, so they fired me."

"What? They can't do that."

I frowned. "Well, they did. I don't blame them, really. Look at me, Devon. I can barely leave the apartment anymore. You had to practically drag me out here. I have to call my mom," I told him.

When I stood and pulled out my phone, walking a few feet, he didn't stop me. I hadn't talked to my family even before things with John happened, and I wasn't going to start now. But Devon didn't need to know that.

I leaned against a tree and hit SEND.

The other end of the line clicked after the first ring and his voice filled my ear. "Hello, darling. I was wondering when you'd get up the courage to call me."

I closed my eyes. "I need to see you again."

His soft chuckle made my knees weak.

"Please," I whispered.

"Please, what?" he asked softly, his voice amused.

"Please, John."
♠ ♠ ♠
DUN, DUN, DUN.

So, I was wondering if I should add a detective to this story. It could be fun.