‹ Prequel: Avidity
Sequel: Sinister
Status: Sequel to Avidity. Complete.

Beyond

Intoxicating

The phone was covered in blood. I'd killed the receptionist quietly, and put her body in the trunk of my car. Now it was time to take care of the good doctor. I tapped on the door to his office, and waited, my stomach knotting anxiously.

When Devon opened the door, his eyes widened. "You..."

"It's nice to see you, as well, doctor. I expect our dear Eden's been keeping you quite busy. Am I correct?"

Wearily, he nodded. I watched his hands shake. He stepped away from me, his face full of fear. "What do you want?"

"I don't like that tone," I snapped, coming into the room. "You're supposed to help people, and I need help." I sat down in the chair across from his desk. "You see, I killed my first person when I was in my twenties. It was my ex. She didn't want to get married, was going to leave me." I stared at Devon, my lips twitching. "But I couldn't let that happen. So I stuck a knife in her neck."

He reached for the phone. But I pulled it away.

"It's rude to make a call when someone is telling you a story," I said, inclining my head. "After her, I killed again. I couldn't stop. I loved feeling someone else's blood on my hands. It was intoxicating. Then, a few months ago, I walked into a bar and everything changed. I came across a lovely woman."

"Eden." Devon's voice was rough, angry, scared.

"Yes." I smiled. "Oh, she was like a magnet. You understand very well what I mean. We're drawn to her in different ways." I slammed my hands into the desk, and Devon flinched. "You'll never know what I did to her. The darkness I put inside."

Stupidly, the man's fingers inched for the phone once more. This time, I slipped the knife from my back pocket and stabbed him in the hand. While he screamed in pain, I glared at him.

"I wasn't done speaking."

Cradling his bloody and obviously broken hand, Devon leaned back in his chair. "Please," he gasped. "I need to call an ambulance. Oh God."

"That can wait," I said. Putting the knife away, I continued. "I had plans for Eden. I had so many opportunities to kill her, but I never could. So I killed her friend Daniel instead. Did she tell you about that?"

Weakly, he nodded.

"I've killed five people." Standing, I walked over to him and thrust my knee into his chest. "You will make six."

When the knife entered his stomach, I drove it deeper, twisting, and watched blood spew from his mouth. Devon gasped again, his hand forgotten, and tried to push me away. Tried to speak, but knew it was useless. I would get the last word.

Bending down toward his ear, the smell of blood overpowering, I whispered, "Your girlfriend is waiting for me." Straightening up, I grinned. As Devon stopped moving, I opened the door, leaving a blood hand print on the frame.