‹ Prequel: Avidity
Sequel: Sinister
Status: Sequel to Avidity. Complete.

Beyond

Altered

Thoughts of Eden overwhelmed me. I needed a distraction, another kill. The woman I'd watched drown in the swamp didn't satisfy me nearly enough.

They flashed by me: redheads, blondes, brunettes, even brightly-colored dyed hair. Brown eyes, green, blue, and grey. Slim, sexy, and completely tantalizing. There were so many, and they were all headed into the bar.

So I followed them.

The bar where I'd picked Eden. With one decision, I had sealed her fate. I had altered any notion she had of living for years. I had made her trust me, then constructed a plan to end her life. Only something was stopping me, and I still hadn't figured out what.

I'd followed her, watched her as she stared, horrified, at my face on the news. My escape had stunned her, that I know, and I knew her fear was greater now. But she was able to control it, to harness it, with the help of that doctor, that shrink.

My blood boiled when I saw the man coming out of her house one morning, his shirt undone and his hair messy. Clenching my hands into fists, the images of him on top of her consumed me. I knew they had slept together.

It filled me with rage.

"Is these seat taken?"

A soft voice broke through my reverie and a doe-eyed looking girl stared at me. I shook my head and watched her slip onto the bar stool beside me. With her legs crossed, she smiled at me and put out her hand.

"I'm Sara."

I smiled, my hand curling around hers. "John."