Status: Currently In Progress (:

All of Me

Prologue

It all started with a phone call in the middle of dinner. Or well, what the two Despres siblings called dinner but was really lazing on the couch while they stuffed their face with white rice and chicken, all the while watching the latest hockey news on the NHL Network.

"You're phone's ringing," Samantha pointed out as she spooned some rice into her mouth. When Simon didn't respond, she huffed in annoyance. "Are you gonna answer it or not?"

"You get it if you're so concerned," he shot back at her, eyes never leaving the screen as the Washington Capitals were currently on the power play against the Flyers. You would think he got enough of hockey with playing for the Wilkes Bare Scranton Penguins of the AHL, but he could sit in front of the sports network day and night and never tire of the game, something they both thought he got from their father.

Olivia and Dennis Despres had passed away in a car crash back when Samantha was 14 and Simon was 18. It had hit them both hard, and then the faced the dilemma of being split up since Simon was legally an adult and Samantha still needed to be in the care of a guardian. Simon knew he couldn't let his sister move away from him, so instead he became her guardian, all the while trying to keep his scholarship to college to play hockey and working a job to keep them living in the house they'd been in since birth.

They soon lost the house two years later when it became to much of a burden to pay for, but a blessing came their way in the form of a try out for Simon with the Wilkes Barre Scranton Penguins in Pennsylvania. Knowing this would probably be his only chance at making the pros, the Despres' packed up what little they could take with them, said goodbye to what was once their home, and took off for Wilkes Barre.

The tryout for the Penguins had been a success, and with Simon no longer having to go to college to play hockey, he quickly dropped out and was able to put them both up in a nice two bedroom apartment right down the street from where the Penguins played their home games. He was making enough money that he could afford to give Samantha a good education at a nice private school for her last two years of high school, and when she graduated he promised he would put her through college no matter what.

Which led them to where they were now, arguing about who was going to answer Simon's phone while they ate dinner and watched hockey. The two got along in an almost parallel way to the universe. They had a deep connection from depending on each other for so long, even if they managed to grate on each others' nerves.

"Don't get up asshole, let me get it." Samantha retorted sarcastically as she pushed herself up from her seat on the couch and walked into the kitchen with their two dirty plates. She put them in the sink to wash later before padding across the room to where Simon's phone laid on the charger. She didn't bother checking the caller id, which was probably a mistake, and answered.

"Simon Despres' phone, his adorable and amazing sister speaking."

"Um, hello. My name is Ray Shero; I'm the General Manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Is Simon around?"

As soon as she heard his voice the snarky smile dropped from her face and she immediately took on a more professional tone to respond to probably one of the most important people that handled her brother's career. "Hello Mr. Shero, it's nice to meet you. Simon is just in the other room, I'll go get him."

She quickly made her back into the living room and swatted Simon on the back of the head. He was quick to round on her and was about to wrestle her to the ground when he noticed the phone to her ear and the serious expression on her face.

"It's Ray Shero," she mouthed silently, holding out the phone.

Simon was quick to fall into business mode, taking the phone and clearing his throat before speaking into the receiver. "Hello, Ray."

Samantha watched as he walked off into the kitchen for more privacy, and she let herself fall onto the couch and focus on the game in front of her that was slowly becoming less interesting the longer her brother was in the kitchen. She knew how important getting a call from Ray Shero could be. Being called up to the NHL had happened sporadically since the beginning of the season back in October. Now, with the Pens having a lot of injuries popping up in their roster, both siblings were hoping that Simon would get a more permanent role in Pittsburgh.

It was a long twenty minute conversation that seemed like an hour, but Simon finally emerged from the kitchen with his phone in his hand and a blank expression on his face. Getting a bad feeling, Samantha turned off the tv and let the silence fill the apartment as she turned to look at him, biting her lip. "So? What did they say?"

"They said.......That I'm heading up to the Burgh this weekend for the Game on Tuesday." Simon responded with a smile on his face. Samantha let out a shriek of happiness and immediately jumped into her brother's arms for a bone crushing hug.

"I knew they would call you up, I just knew it!" She exclaimed. "Well, it looks like we're spending the new year in Pittsburgh!"