Status: In Progress

Childhood Sweethearts

Chapter Eight: Making New Friends

Sam looked at the map confusedly, then at the area around her. This wasn't her first time in Paris, but all the other times she was in Paris, she was with friends who knew their way around the city. Having a few hours to kill before the meeting with the representatives of Chanel, Sam decided to walk around Paris on her own for a bit.

It didn't turn out too good. She was standing in the same position in that little park for over fifteen minutes - too scared to go over and ask a local for directions to Galleries Lafayette. She knew that nobody in the area could speak Spanish and that her English was just as horrible as her French. After a few more minutes of shifting from one leg to the other, Sam rolled her eyes and decided to wing it and ask a lady for directions when she felt someone tapping on her shoulder.

Turning around, Sam faced a…well, to be frank, gorgeous man. He had hair that looked like he had just hopped out of bed and casual clothes and he suited it perfectly. Sam opened her mouth and closed it again, feeling her cheeks burn. After a few more seconds of staring at him, Sam finally started talking. "Oui, can I help you?" she stuttered out. The man smiled and started speaking rapid French, making Sam quickly flail her arms around in a panic, trying not to embarrass herself any further. "No! I do not speak French." she said with a very thick Spanish accent.

The man looked at her weirdly before grinning, "Oh! You speak Spanish?" he asked in a thick French accent. Sam nodded hesitantly, not knowing what the man wanted. "I can speak Spanish." he said in fluent Spanish. Sam grinned widely, thanking God that someone actually understood her. "Okay, that's great. Um, can I help you with something?" she asked. The guy shrugged, "You were standing there for fifteen minutes with a map in your hand. I figured you needed help with something."

Sam nodded embarrassed, "Do you know how to get to Galleries Lafayette?" she asked. The man nodded quickly, "I do. I can walk you there, I need to buy some new stuff anyway." he said. Sam raised her eyebrows, contemplating on whether to trust this guy or just find her own way. After pondering for a few minutes, she nodded. "Okay."

The two started walking and the guy took it as an opportunity to introduce himself. "I'm Pierre Dubois." he said. Sam nodded, "Samantha Castillo. But you can just call me Sam." she said. The moment she finished her sentence, Pierre's eyes widened and he clapped his hands. "Oh, my gosh! I knew you looked familiar!" he trailed off before giving Sam a brief history of her own career. "I love your work and your last Vogue issue was amazing." Suddenly, he cut himself off mid-sentence.

He blushed and ran a hand through his air. "Now, you can obviously tell I play for the pink team." he said. Sam raised her eyebrows, not understanding what he meant until she finally got it. "Oh! Oh. Oh, damn." she laughed out loud, "Damn. I was crushing on you back there." she groaned, pointing back behind them. The two shared a laugh and Pierre pointed at Sam, "You," he started, "Have the worst gaydar in the world. I mean, would a straight man really wear pink loafers?"

Sam burst out into laughter before pressing her palm to her stomach. "You're funny, let's be friends."

-

Sam exited the large bathroom with a smile on her face. After a long meeting, she got back to the hotel and had a nice, relaxing bubble bath in the huge bathtub. Sam sighed contentedly as she looked out the large window that stretched from the beginning of the room to the end. She could just see the Eiffel tower from the corner of the window. She only had two days left in Paris and she would most likely be working on those last two days.

After sitting on the freshly made bed for two minutes and just staring out the window, Sam got up and ran over to her suitcase when her phone rang. Groaning, she ran back to the bedside table and answered the phone, putting it on loudspeaker. "Hola!" she called out while unzipping her suitcase and pulling out jeans and a sweater. "Sam? It's Cesc."

Sam stopped pulling on her jeans halfway and jumped closer to the phone, "Uh, what's up?" she asked. "Do you want to have dinner with Daniella and I? She's having a mood and I don't really want to go through it alone." Cesc said.

Sam opened and closed her mouth, not knowing what to say. She didn't want to be the third wheel to a Lebanese Barbie and a Spanish Ken. But she really wanted to go out. Sam hesitated for a bit and glanced at one of the gorgeous dresses she brought along that she hung in the hotel wardrobe before answering him, "Can I bring a friend?"