Status: This is my Yu Yu Hakusho fanfiction. Updates will probably slow and random, sorry about that. Hope you all enjoy!

Time Tells All

Sayuri

"Alright class, before you leave I've got your test scores to pass out. Once you have it, feel free to ask me any questions if you have none then have a good afternoon and don't forget about your homework." The teacher, Mr. Tarunaka, announced to his class. Giving one student a certain look when he reminded them of their homework, but recieved no acknowledgment from the girl for she was staring out the window, completely lost to the world. He let her failure to focus slide and began to pass out the papers; the daydreaming student was last, though she wasn't actually daydreaming. Mr. Tarunaka could see the worry in her emerald eyes as he approached the young student.

"Here's your test Sayuri." He said, gaining the girl's attention. He could see how tired and drained she looked as she took the test from his hand. "I understand your predicament, but please try harder on the test, your brother is keeping his grades up, you should as well."

"Yes sir." She responded quietly as she gathered her belongings and rose from her seat.

"Have a good day."

"Yeah, you too."

A sigh left his lips as she watched the girl leave his classroom with sad eyes. She knew all to well that he felt sorry for her, most of the teachers did. Though they didn't make her troubles any easier by comparing her to her brother. They were completely different people and it seemed no one would respect that.

He was exceptionally brilliant, top of the class, no the entire school. Not to mention he was handsome, yes, she would admit that her brother had good looks, but she'd never cross that line. She loved him, but only as a brother and protector. Unlike his kind demeanor, she had a temper and would often say something rude to the wrong people, people she couldn't defend herself well against, but he'd always show up to save her ass before it got kicked.

Fighting was something she never truly excelled at and when her temper flared she was unable to talk her way out of dangerous scenarios like she normally would have. That's where her brother came in to save the day. It seemed, no matter what situation he was placed in, he could always talk his way out of it. Play mind games with his opponents until they eventually just gave up and walked away leaving the siblings unharmed in any way.

He hadn't had to protect her like that here lately. Her temper was gone with the depression that seemed to overtake her as of late.

As Sayuri walked out of the school building, her eyes scanned the grounds in search of something or someone. A couple of girlish giggles caught her attention as she looked towards the gates of the school yard to find a small group of girls talking idly. Amongst that group was a familiar head of red hair that matched her own, just slightly lighter than her blood red locks. A small smile tugged at her lips at how awkward he was, but he played it off well when it came to the girls in front of him, but to her it was obvious that he didn't want to talk to or be around them. He was just too kind to say something to them.

"Hey." She called her voice demanding the attention of the group as she approached them with crossed arms. One girl let out a disgusted groan when she realized who was speaking.

"Sayuri why don't you just leave Shuichi alone." She complained.

That's right Shuichi Minamino. The most popular and educated guy in school is her brother. Sayuri ran a hand through her long red hair before speaking.

"Don't know if you know this, but Shuichi is my older brother. He's kind of stuck with me. Besides I'm not the one bothering him, you are. So why don't you leave and go flirt with someone who's actually in your league. If that's even possible."

"You bitch! How dare you say that to me! Do you know who I am?" The girl seethed dramatically.

"No and I really don't care to." Sayuri said walking past the group. "Come on Shuichi, we need to get going."

"You should not have said that Sayuri." Shuichi scolded once they were away from the group, the younger Minamino simply shrugged. "I guess I should thank you for getting me away from them though."

"No you shouldn't, you have saved my ass so many times that doesn't even make us even. I owe you so much." Shuichi stopped her then, making her face him. Her small stature of barely 4'9" making looking him in the eyes a bit difficult. His face was serious as he looked down at her with his hands resting on her shoulders.

"You do not owe me anything Sayuri. You're my little sister, I'm supposed to keep you safe."

"I guess I make that a little hard sometimes, huh?"" She said with a small apologetic smile gracing her face. A smile broke out on Shuichi's face as well.

"Yes a little, you could learn to watch your temper from time to time." He replied as his hands fell from her shoulders.

"Eh, maybe." she replied off handedly wih a shrug. "Wouldn't be much of a challenge for you if I did."

"No, it wouldn't. Speaking of challenges, did you get your test scores back yet?" A sigh left her lips at his question as she pulled the folded test out of her bag and handed it to him. He unfolded the paper to see the low C that was given to her, just barely a passing grade.

"Sayuri what happened?" He questioned looking through the test. "I helped you study for this."

"I know Shuichi, I'm sorry. I'll try harder, I just can't focus! My mind aways gets away from me and I end up thinking about-" She stopped mid sentence as tears stung her eyes. She couldn't bring her self to say their "predicament", as Mr. Tarunaka so put it, out loud. It just hurt too much.

"I understand." Shuichi said as he pulled her into a comforting hug. She clung to her brother, thankful for him as she cried into his shirt. He kept her from drowning in her worries and sorrows. He was always there for her, keeping her safe and being a shoulder to cry on. "Come now Sayuri." He said pulling her away from him so he could see her face. He wiped a few tears that still continued to fall from her eyes.

"I'm just so worried, it's practically eating me alive." She confessed.

"She has not left us yet. She is still alive and hopefully we will find a way to keep her here. I'm just as worried as you are. It will be okay though. Even if she goes, I'll still be here to watch after you."

"You make me sound like I'm still a little kid. Don't forget I'm only a year younger than you."

"Year and a half actually." Shuichi stated only to get pushed lightly by his sister, letting out a light laugh.

"What does it matter!?" She complained only to end up laughing with him. "Hey Shuichi?" She said after a moment, the laughter leaving her voice.

"Yes, what is it Sayuri?"

"Can we not tell mother about my grade, she doesn't need to be worrying about my school grades right now."

"Yes I think that would be best. I'll help you study more for your next exam as well."

"That would be great, thank you. I don't know what I would do without you big brother."

"Come on let's get going." Shuichi urged after placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. She obliged as they both walked into the hospital their mother was emitted in, completely unaware of the watchful eyes on them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright so this is my version of the awesome anime Yu Yu Hakusho! I hope you all enjoy and I go ahead and apologize for any grammar mistakes that make an appearance in this story. I have watched the entire show and am currently reading the manga when I find time. I unfortunately do not own Kurama/Shuichi Minamino or Hiei or any of the other characters or plot line of the show. Just Sayuri and any ideas or plot changes that I've come up with. Again I hope you enjoyed and I love reviews and anything I can improve and work on.