Status: This is my Yu Yu Hakusho fanfiction. Updates will probably slow and random, sorry about that. Hope you all enjoy!

Time Tells All

The Rekai Tantei

"Sayuri, hurry up or we're going to be late." Shuichi stated after knocking on her bedroom door.

The door flew open to reveal a ready, but tired looking Sayuri who turned, going to her desk to grab her bag from the desk chair and returning to her doorway.

"I'm ready." She said unenthusiastically, not looking the least bit happy to be up. Shuichi smiled softly as he brushed the hair away from her eyes only for a frown to replace the smile at seeing the dark circles beneath her green orbs.

"Did you sleep at all?" He questioned worridly.

"Of course I did." She replied pushing his hand away from her face and slipping past him. "I just don't sleep well here lately, you know that."

Focusing on the floor she began to walk away towards the way out of their home. Shuichi quickly made his way after her and caught her arm turning her to face him.

"It has nothing to do with my story last night does it?" He asked knowing the answer already. Sayuri shook her head.

"Maybe a little, but no, that's not what kept me up."

"Don't dwell on what might happen Sayuri. Don't think of the worst that can happen, just remember mother is still here and I'm always here for you."

"I know big brother." She whispered. "We need to get going now."

Shuichi nodded and let her go. The smile from last night was completely gone and she was back to her saddened state that he hated so much. He missed his cheerful, short tempered, little sister who always wanted him to play some game or watch a scary movie with her. Now she rarely smiled a true smile, and hardly ever laughed which when she did it was almost lifeless.

Last night he got his sister back, even if it was only for a short time, he saw her smile that smile that reached her eyes and saw life come back to her. He wanted that sister to stay and for the one he walked beside now to leave so he could see her happy again. The only way to get that sister back was for their mother to be healthy again and he believed helping Hiei and Gouki might be the only way to fix that.

"So I was thinking about what you told me last night." Sayuri began, pulling her brother from his thoughts as they walked down the street towards their school.

"Okay, what about what I told you?" He asked looking down at her briefly.

"About how if I'm like you, why can't I remember anything..."

"Well, I highly doubt there could be any other reason for you having demon blood, since we have the same father and I don't believe there could be any chance of demons being in our family-"

"You mean besides us?" Sayuri joked causing the corners of Shuichi's mouth to pull up slightly.

"Yes, besides us. It could be your demon side isn't strong enough yet and is just lying dormant inside you, and because of that you have no recollection of that side's past." Shuichi continued trying to find any possible solution for her problem.

"Well is there anything we can do to at least find out what type of demon I am?" She questioned as she slowed her pace down drastically and her brother followed suit, knowing this would be the end of their conversation since the school was just up ahead and crowds of people were starting to appear.

"I'll figure out something. I know of a way to find out if you are an animal demon, but as for right now I do not know much more than that." He replied and she nodded silently as they joined the school crowd.

Days had passed since that morning and though Sayuri discussed the topic with her brother, he never did say exactly what he was speaking of when referring to the way to find out if she was an animal demon. The only thing he mentioned was that it was a type of weapon and that she would know in due time.

Shuichi had been meeting with Hiei and Gouki again. Discussing what, Sayuri didn't know and she wasn't sure she wanted to. Her brother had changed. To anyone else he would have seemed fine, but it was obvious to his little sister that he was more stressed then usual. Whenever she questioned him about it though, he brushed it off and claimed he was fine.

Sayuri looked out her bedroom window at the rain that was pouring from the skies. She enjoyed watching the rain, it was calming to her though she usually liked someone to be home during storms. This night she was alone in the dark house. Shuichi had left earlier that day after their short visit to see their mother. He walked home with her, but just like the night she foind out his secret, he didn't enter the house. She didn't follow though knowing slightly what it was about and she didn't feel like seeing those two again, so she told him to be safe and careful before retreating into the house.

That had been hours ago. The young Minamino didn't know what her older brother was doing, but she really hoped he was okay as she sat by her window and watched the rain. She closed her eyes with a sigh for a moment trying to stay positive about things, but was not doing so well as it seemed like the weight of the world rested on her shoulders from all the worrying thoughts invading her mind. When she opened her eyes landed on the forest near their house where a strange light was shining, making it appear to be dry and sunny rather than the gloomy rain everywhere else. Not being able to figure out this strange event from her room, the redhead decided to leave the comfort of her home and find out source of the bizarre light.

Donning her coat and shoes, she opened the door of her home and stepped into the cold rainfall. The light was still burning in the distance and she began to run down the street in fear that it would disappear if she didn't hurry.

The only thing that delayed her search was the memories that flooded her mind at the outskirts of the woods. Meeting Gouki and Hiei was the last time she stepped foot in the menacing trees at night, and seeing those two was not something she was particularly fond of and would rather avoid. Looking up at the bright light that glowed and discovering the cause of it made curiosity get the best of her, so she put the thoughts behind her and carried on into the woods.

Voices soon caught her attention as she neared the clearing. The ones talking were vaguely familiar to her and she recognized them as belonging to Hiei and Gouki though she could not place a voice with it's owner since she only met them once and she wasn't actually seeing them at the moment. Though there was one voice she knew well.

"I'm going to withdraw from this alliance." That was her brother, she'd know that calm voice anywhere and her thoughts were confirmed as she stepped to the tree line of the clearing. She could see the three men and better yet she could see her suspicions of the rain was correct as well.

"What do you mean? You're leaving, now that we've come this far?" Hiei asked in disbelief.

"Yes."

"I don't care if he leaves, but he's got no right to the loot. Hand over that pretty little mirror." Gouki demand, holding out his hand. Sayuri had no clue what he was talking about, but watched carefully to see what would happen to her brother.

"I can't do that for you see, I have great need for it."

"No, you're going to give it up!" Gouki shouted and began to through a punch at the redheaded male.

"SHUICHI!" Sayuri shouted running into the clearing. Gouki stopped his punch before it hit the elder Minamino as all eyes fell on her nervous form.

"The confused girl returns. You should stay out of things you don't belong in." Hiei said stepping forward and pointing the sword he held inches from Sayuri's face. Fear was evident in her eyes though she made no notion to move and run away like the previous time, and like Hiei had hoped she would.

"I'm not afraid of you." She stated, extremely thankful her voice didn't waver as she spoke.

"Quit lying girl." Hiei spat in return as he stepped closer to her, but kept the blade still. "It's in your eyes. You're terrified." His voice was much quieter, but sounded deadly. It was more frightening than when he practically yelled at her, but still she held her ground.

"Hey!" A new voice entered the conversation. "Maybe you should quit picking on the poor girl. Though I've got to admit she's got some guts to be standing up to you while staring down the blade of a sword. Oh and word of advice, when you guy go stealing some magic toys, you shouldn't hide where it's obviously so sunny."

"Who are you and how do you know about the artifacts?" Hiei questioned turning away from Sayuri to look at the new guy who was holding a branch above his head like an umbrella.

The second the sword was removed from her face, Sayuri let out the breath she didn't know she was holding. She paniced when she suddenly felt herself being pulled back by someone, but when the person placed a protective arm around her and she saw the pink sleeve, she immediately calmed down.

Knowing it was simply Shuichi, placed her hands on his arm and shunk back into him, not sure how this whole thing was going to play out. In response he tightened his hold on her as he listened to the man in the green uniform introduce himself.

"The name's Yusuke Urameshi, I'm a Spirit Detective." He announced.

"The Reiki Tante?" Gouki repeated.

"Don't worry, this guy hardly has any spirit energy. He was probably the only human Koenma could round up." Hiei retorted.

Shuichi said nothing. Instead he guided his sibling to turn around so they were facing the way towards their home and began taking their leave, keeping her in front of him and mostly out of the sight of the other three.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Yusuke shouted at them. Shuichi made sure Sayuri didn't stop walking before speaking.

"Sorry, I don't have time to be arrested." And they were no longer in the light, but back to the cold rain.

"Shuichi?" Sayuri called quietly.

"Don't talk." He replied in a stern tone and with an almost silent sigh she listened.

Once the two were out on the sidewalk omce again is when he finally came to walk beside her, but neither spoke. Sayuri glanced up at him once to see an unreadable expression on his face and she knew he was partly mad at her, but the rest she was unsure.

They entered thier home and Sayuri quickly went about removing her shoes and coat. Shuichi mearly stood at the door with crossed arms. It wasn't until she began to walk off that he spoke.

"That was reckless of you." His tone of voice wasn't one she had heard from him before. Sure he had scolded her for many things before, but never had she hearf him this furious towards her before.

"I couldn't just sit there when someone was about to punch you." She replied.

"You shouldn't have been there at all."

"I know, but it's not like it's the first time I've run around in the rain at night. Plus I saw that sunny area and was curious about it..." She rambled nervously, not daring to look him in the eyes.

"Curiosity killed the cat, Sayuri, and that very well could have happened to you tonight."

"But you were there, had Hiei tried to kill me, you would have saved me."

"Hiei is faster than I am. He could have attacked and killed you before I could intervene." Shuichi sighed placing a hand to his head in frustration.

"I-I..." Sayuri couldn't find the words to say as she stared at her feet.

"Just get changed and go to bed." He said with a motion of his hand. She nodded and walked off. Another sigh left his lips and he pulled the item he had in his pocket. It was a mirror, one of the 'magic toys' as Yusuke had so put it, that he had stolen from the Spirit World and hopefully it would help his family in the end. Placing the mirror safely back he removed his shoes and headed to his own room for the night.

Sayuri had expected Shuichi to knock on her door for them to talk about what happened, but he never came. Many thoughts haunted her as she layed in bed and a few tears escaped her eyes because of them. Now not only was she losing her mother, but she upset her elder brother and he wasn't speaking to her. Plus he was possibly in risk of being arrested by this so called Spirit Detective, whatever that was.

After tossing and turning for a while, sje threw the covers from her body and left her room and down the hall to the next door. She knocked lightly before opening and peering into the room. Her brother was sitting on his bed, legs under the cover as he leaned against the wall, and a book was in his hand though his eyes were now looking towards the door. Sayuri carefully entered the room, closing the door behind her, and walking to his bedside.

"I'm sorry Shuichi." She just barely whispered knowing that if she spoke louder she might lose all control and just break down.

Her brother closed his book and patted the spot beside him on the bed. She Sat down beside him and pulled her knees to her chest before continuing.

"You're right, I shouldn't have been outside like that chasing some stupid light. It was reckless of me and I could have very well been killed tonight. I should have thought of what you had told me about it possibly being dangerous for me because I'm related to you, but I didn't. I guess I'm still just a stupid kid, who doesn't listen and will forever remain a pain in your ass." She said a few tears slipping through her lashes as she rested her head on her knees

"You're not a pain, Sayuri." Shuichi interrupted causing her to slowly look at him, head still on her knees. "Childish, yes, but you're my little sister and though you can certainly be a handful for me to watch after by not acting your age, I wouldn't have it any other way. Having to get you out of fights and your childish games make my life interesting." Sayuri scoffed.

"Yeah, I'm what makes your life interesting, fox." She replied with a small smile that Shuichi returned as he wiped a stray tear from her cheek.

"Next few days, we'll go to the woods and try to find out whay type of demon you are." He said knowing that she had been wanting to find out, but also trying to turn the subject away from the night.

"Sounds good." she replied sitting up and hugging her brother tightly. "Goodnight big brother." she said as he hugged her back.

"Goodnight Sayuri." He let her go and she got off his bed and began to leave his room, but just as she opened the door she turned back around.

"Oh Shuichi, don't you dare think you've gotten out of telling me about those magic artifacts and why your in danger of getting arrested." She said closing the door and returning to her bedroom.

'So much for getting out of explaining the night's events to her.' He thought with a shake of his head and a smile pulling at his lips. She was definitely clever, his little sister.