Status: Combining Fantasy and Science Fiction!

Alternate Gear

Gears

Death flooded my mind. I was going to die out here. The thought replayed in my brain and each time it did, the lump in my throat grew tighter. It felt as though I was choking. I knew I should get off my knees and run, but my legs refused to budge. They were beginning to become numb from lying on the gravel. Something about staring at the bloody, dismembered heads of Ms. Stewart and her niece paralyzed me. Three minutes ago we were all complaining about the heat... But now... I groaned and clenched my teeth. Pain swelled within my chest. The gears had dropped the remains of their victims, standing some odd feet ahead of me in front of the edge of Bidst Woods. The other trail adjacent to me curved off, merging onto the hill I had just fallen down, creating a cliff over my head. It provided a little shade from heat. Beyond that, black smoke billowed into the air and drifted over me. It was coming from the town. Auburn Hills was being destroyed. Tamika could be in danger... I had to do something! I glanced over my shoulder, then back at the Gears.

The robots started to advance toward me, their red cloaks billowing behind them. Each step they took created a dull thump against the ground. Their steel frames shimmered in the sunlight. Colorful bulbs on their chests joined various nodules in blinking and flashing as they moved. The androids were coming... I was going to end up a severed skull—just like the others. Damn it, I'm such a coward! I swore again, my body finally moving; I crawled against the ground, backing away from them. Run, Deon... GET UP AND RUN! My brain screamed at me. Crooked grins formed on the pale and dry lips of their half-human faces. Their eyes widened. Were these monsters happy? Did they enjoy slaughtering the innocent?

Granted, before today, I had actually never seen a Gear. Not going to lie, I used to often wonder how the androids looked whenever Granny told me how the war started. She said they were a gruesome sight and their appearances varied. Some were closer to full robots; their bodies encased in steel, with barely any traces of their humanity left. Others were a walking abomination of metal and flesh. And if their appearances didn't induce fear, their deadly skills and horrifying strength certainly would. I could never picture Granny's words until today.

"Deploying rocket arm," One Gear began.

With its words, the robot raised an arm. I barely had any time to react as the sound of a pistol rang in my ears, accompanied by the mechanized limb of the android; like being shot out a cannon, the appendage exploded from its shoulders, lunging several feet across the trail, connected by a thick chain. The attack connected, throwing me on my back; I felt its smooth and heavy metal fingers grab me by my neck, cutting off my oxygen.

The chain started to draw back, dragging me through the dirt and rocks. Kicking against the ground, I gagged and tried to get away by pulling the hand from my throat, but that only caused the grip tighten. Like uncoiling a whip, the Gear raised its arm, giving it a quick jerk. I felt my body leave the ground and my belly lurched; similar to a fish caught on a hook and flailing out of water, I rolled and flipped midair before the robot threw its limb down. I smashed into the hard dirt, intense pain shot through my back. I hollered in agony going limp for a few seconds, allowing the android to resume retracting the chained appendage. The jagged gravel cut into my skin, even ripping small patches of it off along the back of my noggin and behind my ears.

Vision blurry, head spinning and throbbing, I could barely move. It was too painful. My body left the dusty soil once more, I found myself face to face with my murderer, gazing at its hideous hooded appearance. My feet dangled some odd inches from stable land. Warm blood rolled down my neck into the inside of my button-up.

"This world no longer requires mankind," It said, pulling me closer.

"We are evolution." The second finished its partner's sentence.

A low noise filled the space around us, resembling one hammer pounding against s steel plate of some sort. Steam erupted from the silver fingers of the machine. The Gear's other hand suddenly withdrew into its wrist. Replacing the limb were double barrels of a sawed off shotgun. No trigger or pump, just cold metal cylinders. My captor's death grip returned to my air passages. I coughed, struggling for any bit of air. Did Miranda and her Aunt die this way? What would my cousin do without me? Tamika, Ms. Stewart and the little girl clouded my thoughts. Joining their faces were the memories we all created in the past. I shut my eyes.

I wished I had more courage. I wanted to protect those close to me. I was tired losing people I cared about. Fed up with being a wimp. First Granny, now her friend, niece and myself.

I wanted to live. To fulfill those desires!

"Elimination complete in three..."

I felt the android press the firearm against my head. Sounds were fading in my ears. I was losing consciousness from oxygen deprivation.

"Two..." Its accomplice interjected upon the weapon being cocked.

"One."

I yelled as loud as I could, but I only managed a raspy drawn out moan, close to a smoker's hack, thanks to me being strangled.

Instead of the deafening boom of the shotgun, I heard a crunching sound, similar to a person stepping on soda can. Something cool and sticky splashed onto my face. I opened my eyes, only to see part of a sword protruding from the forehead of the robot. It had been struck from the back. The light in its blue eye vanished, thick oil—the lifeblood of enemy—squirted all over me.

Immediately I was released, dropping to the ground, sputtering for sweet air as the Gear lost all of its strength and lifelessly collapsed to the gravel. The hood of the crimson cloak fell back on top of the rest of the weapon, exposing the uncovered brain resting inside the skull of the human end. I cringed. What the hell were these things?

The second android spun around, lifting an arm just in time to stop a swing from another blade that would have otherwise lopped its own head off.

Holding the hilt of that blade was a woman. Skin the color of walnuts, silky dark hair tied into a long ponytail, cute mole on her chin, plump pink lips that at the moment were fixed into a furious scowl as she stomped her boots into the Earth to hold her stance against her opponent. She sported gauntlets, not to mention a short gray cloak that fell to her midsection, revealing the curvy lower half of her body in leather jeans. Her sheath strapped around her waist, several pouches were also buckled down one slender leg.

"New life-form recognized. ELIMINATE!!!" The Gear bellowed, breaking the quick standoff between itself and the stranger.

She jumped a few steps back, prompting the robot to hurry after her ahead of me. She was leading it away! I looked on, dumbfounded and astonished. I was still alive. She saved me. And she was actually fighting an android!

Did I mention how pretty she looked? Seriously.

I shook my head, wanting to slap myself. Now wasn't the time for that. Snap out of it! My original oppressor still lay dead beside, its fluids pooling at my feet.

The machine leapt into the air, rearing back, attempting to cave in the lady's skull; however, she rapidly slid out of its path, causing it to punch a small crater in the dirt. She then rolled behind it; avoiding a new assault as it swiftly launched its free arm at her; the same attack that nearly killed me.

"Run you idiot!" She commanded, turning to me.

Of course. She didn't need to tell me twice. I rose to my feet and instantly took off, my eyes dead set on the road leading back to town. Black clouds were still emerging from the horizon. Please Tamika, don't die.

I've lost enough people today. Two people was two too many.

I took one last look behind me at the duel just getting underway in the middle of the road. The amputated heads of Ms. Stewart and Miranda had been kicked off-road. It was my fault they were gone. I couldn't help but feel responsible.

Now a total stranger was putting her life on the line. Why? So I could get away? I wanted to live, however the equation wasn't fair. Somehow, I felt as though leaving this woman would be just as bad as leaving what was left of Miranda and the elder here. Halting in my tracks, I turned my back on the burning town and faced the battle in front of me. Sore, bleeding and wheezing yet, something within in me wouldn't let me leave. This was my opportunity.

To show my courage.

To return a debt.

More than that, this was my chance.

To avenge Granny's friend.

Wait for me, Tamika.