What the North Remembers

winter is coming

Robb remembers how his guts ached when he heard of his father’s death. He boiled with rage and yearned for his revenge as he wept and mourned. His mother fuelled his wishes, motivated by her own heartbreak, and Robb turned his anger into a constructive battle plan as he headed south with his army.

Sansa remembers when she was forced to see her father’s head on a spike. The man she loved and admired had been unjustly punished, despite her begging and pleading for forgiveness. Then the news reached her that Robb had met a cruel end on his path for revenge and she felt sick all over again, but swore to rightfully punish the Lannisters without a hint of mercy.

Arya remembers the names of those she will kill. For a girl her age, she has seen far too much, and it haunts her dreams. As she repeatedly whispers her list, she pictures different ways to punish the people whose names cross her lips, and there isn’t a doubt in her mind that she will be strong enough do the deeds herself.

Bran remembers how he saw through his direwolf’s eyes in his dreams. He wishes that he knew exactly what it meant when he foresaw his father’s death, and now he is filled with regret that he was unable to prevent it. The pain and confusion of his visions causes him to constantly feel uneasy, but he continues towards the Wall in hope of understanding and safety.

Jon remembers the tales that he was told as a child of the monsters beyond the Wall. Now that he has seen them he knows what the true threat to Westeros is; which is not starvation brought by the coming winter, or an absurd war over the Iron Throne. The White Walkers are what the North should truly remember.