Parasite

Of Oafish Ways

By the time that Tetra had reached the Throne Room, the bottoms of her bare feet were sore from pounding against the stone floors. She knew that her auburn hair was falling out if it’s simple up-do and her breathing was labored. Two guards were stationed at the tall, golden doors and when she tried to step forward they crossed their spears over the entrance.

“What is the meaning of this? I demand that you let me through at once!” she exclaimed.

“I apologize, milady. But we have orders that no one is to enter until the prince is done conversing with the king.”

“I do not care what orders you have! Let me through,” she fumed.

“I’m sorry, but we cannot.”

With a huff she turned away, folding her arms across her chest. She heard the slide of the spears together and spun back around, slipped under the obstacle and shoved the doors open. Tetra was off at a run before the guards could stop her.

The Throne Room was not the largest room in the palace, but the most majestic. Large stone columns ran along each side of the rooms, and stained-glass windows took up the majority of both walls. Situated at the end of the long room were four seats raised upon a golden dais. King Odin was seated in the largest throne and in front of him a figure was knelt down on the ground. She caught sight of the gleaming crimson cape and her heart jumped into her throat.

“Thor! Thor!”

He stood up to face her and the smile that stretched across his mouth had her grinning back in return. She leapt into his arms and he spun her around, white dress twirling through the air.

“Tetra, my dearest friend. Did you fear that I would not return?” Thor laughed and set her back down on the ground.

“Oh, shush, you oaf,” she slapped at his armored chest and he laughed again. “You were gone for nearly two months. So, yes, I grew worried.”

The King cleared his throat and she turned towards him, bowing her head instantly.

“I’m sorry, my King. I did not mean to intrude,” she said quietly.

“Do not look so nervous, Lady Tetra. My son and I were merely discussing his recent trip to Vanaheim, but we are quite finished now. I shall release him into your care,” King Odin chuckled.

“Oh, thank you, my King.” Tetra turned to Thor and started to tug him away from the thrones. “I will take excellent care of him.”

Together they sprinted down a side hallway and out a door that led into the Royal Gardens. Tall trees were everywhere, flowering bushes and statues dotted in between. Occasionally there was a stone bench seated along the path that wound through the extensive garden but Tetra bypassed them all and walked farther into the garden. Once she reached the small pond in the center of the garden, she climbed onto a rocky ledge overlooking it all and dipped her abused feet into the water.

“Tetra, is there a particular reason as to why you’ve been running around barefoot?” Thor asked, settling down next to her on the grass.

“I left my shoes in the library,” she mumbled, a faint blush staining her cheeks.

“Of course you did. What have you been reading as of late?”

Some people thought that her interest in knowledge and books was odd, but Thor never judged and instead encouraged her thirst for learning more. But then she recalled the history book and the tale of Darafer and shook her head.

“Just a silly old story book,” she sighed. “How was Vanaheim?”

Thor glanced out at the water, at the lily pads floating along it’s surface and seemed to get lost.

“Thor?” she prompted, nudging him softly.

With a sigh he unhooked the cape from his shoulders, removed his wrist protectors, unclipped Mjolrnir from his belt and laid back on the grass.

“It was horrible, Tet. You are aware that our kingdoms have never sat well with each other. My father sent us in to broker a peace treaty between our two realms, but the people of Vanaheim did not take very well to us invading their kingdom. A fierce battle broke out that lasted at least a week and many people were sacrificed for foolish reasons.”

A flash of pain and regret ghosted over his features before he continued.

“After the fighting ended, the Vesir king was hesitant to let us return, and even more wary of signing a peace treaty. Negotiations went on for what seemed liked ages, but we finally agreed on some simple terms and they were put into place. Of course after that was settled, there was a great feast to celebrate, that lasted for days.”

“You grow weary of your triumphs?”

“I have more important things to worry about than petty battles started by petty people.”

“You speak of Jane Foster, do you not?”

Thor heaved a great sigh and sat back up. She placed a hand on his arm, and he took it in his own rough, calloused fingers.

“I think of her often yes, but I also worry of my brother. I visited him before I left for Vanaheim, and he has become very… resigned to his fate. I fear that he will waste away in the dungeons, a shell of who he once was. There was once a time that he would bite back poisonous marks whenever I saw him, but now he just sits there, listless,” Thor glanced up at me, a pained look in his crystal blue eyes. “I spoke with my father before I left. I tried to convince him of releasing Loki on a probationary period, but he wouldn’t stand to reason.”

“Are you sure that’s wise, Thor? You know I care for Loki deeply, but he is not the same person he once was.”

“I know, Tetra. But I also know that he can change, if given the chance,” with another sigh he dropped her hand and lay back down on the grass. “But enough of me and my troubles. What of you? What new project have you set your sights on?”

Just as always, he took in an interest in what she was doing. And Thor knew that she always chose something new to do, that she relished in learning and having new experiences. But for the first time, Tetra was hesitant to tell him of her newest idea. She twisted her hands into the white fabric of her dress, her working fingers creasing the soft linen.

“What is it, my friend? You know that you can confide in me.”

“I-I have been reading up on the ways of magik.”

Thor had had his arms crossed and placed over his face, put at her words he lowered his arms. The look on his was face was a cross between horror and shock.

“I know that it is a hard thing to learn, but I wish to try,” she continued, voice wavering with uncertainty. “I approached your father and asked for permission to start training, but he declined.”

“And no wonder, Tetra! If a spell ever backfired or went awry, you could be seriously hurt. Learning magik is a dangerous thing. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times Loki or I was hurt as children whenever a bad attempt at a spell happened.”

She didn’t know to explain it to him. That she was tired of being considered the odd, scholar girl that didn’t know how to defend herself. All women of Asgard learned some form of combat and Tetra had mastered the bow and arrow at a young age, but it was a considered a weak form of offense by Asgardian standards. She wanted to be like the women who could be strong and determined, not afraid of anything. She wanted to be like Lady Sif, someone useful to the Royal Family and to Thor. And since Tetra was never good with a sword or dagger, she knew that magik was her last line of defense.

“I understand why you worry, Thor. But I will not budge on this. And I will continue to ask your father for permission.”

“No, Tetra! I will not allow it!”

With a growl of annoyance, he stood up from the grass, and gathered up Mjolrnir.

“I’m sorry, Thor. But I’m not going to change my mind.”

He didn’t say anything, just stomped away, red cape flickering in the wind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw, look at Thor being all overbearing and protective. What a cute wittle God he is. <3
AND DON'T WORRY GUYS, LOKI WILL BE IN THE NEXT CHAPTER. ARE YOU EXCITED? :D
I am! Seriously. I love this story already.
Don't be a silent reader! Please, tell me what you think.

Comment. Subscribe. Love Loki.
-Beki