Parasite

Of Second Chances

There was a light knock on the door and Tetra jolted up from her seat on her bed, the book in her hands tumbling to the ground. With a sigh she slid off of the bed and went over to the door, the book on magik forgotten on the ground. When she opened the door, a guard in golden armor was standing there, fist poised to knock again.

“Sorry to disturb you, Lady Tetra. But the King is requesting your immediate presence in the Council Room. I am to escort you there.”

“Very well. Give me a moment to make myself presentable.”

Tetra shut the door in the guard’s face, not caring if it was rude. She leaned her back against the door, wondering why King Odin would need to speak with her. It had been only two days since Thor had returned from Vanaheim, and Tetra had not spoken with him since their argument. Of all people, she thought that Thor would understand, thought that he would support her decision to learn magik. But he had simply forbidden her to learn and stomped away.

She was angry with him, there was no denying that. But for whatever reason he was just as angry and she couldn’t figure out why.

She did a quick glance over her features in the mirror hanging next to her wardrobe, making sure that she looked at least somewhat decent. She had had no intention of leaving her room that day so her dress was simple, a dark, draped navy gown that cinched in at her waist and flared out to her ankles. There was a braided gold belt around her waist and she had on her normal gold sandals. She pulled the pin out of the messy bun at the nape of her neck, causing the auburn curls to go tumbling about her shoulders.

Deciding that it would have to do, Tetra left her room, closing the gilded wooden door behind her. The guard was still standing there, an impatient look on her face.

“I know the way to the Council Room,” she said politely, through there was a slight strain to it.

“I am to escort you there,” he repeated. “The King was very insistent.”

With a puff of annoyance, she walked ahead of him, sandals slapping against the stone floor. The Council Room was a few floors down from her chambers, a passageway off from the Throne Room. On the way there, the guard followed along behind her silently. Once they reached the unassuming wood door, she opened it without any preamble and slammed it shut behind her.

“Lady Tetra, how kind of you to join us.”

At the rumbling loud voice she spun on her heel and faced the room. King Odin was seated at the head of the long table that ran the length of the room, Thor next to him. Although the Thor looked excited and ready to bounce out of his seat, the King looked almost resigned and weary.

“My King,” she greeted, bowing her head. “Prince.”

“Tetra, friend, please have a seat,” Thor boomed, still grinning.

She moved her way over to them, and pulled out a seat next to Thor. She settled onto the wood chair and folded her hands in her lap demurely.

“I am sure you are wondering as to why I’ve called you here,” the King said. “I wanted to know whether you are still interested in magik or not.”

“Oh, yes, my King,” Tetra exclaimed, unable to stop the words from spilling from her mouth. “Have you reconsidered my training?”

Is that why she was here? She was finally going to get what she had been dreaming of for months? But then why would Thor be here, let alone looking so happy like he was.

“I had the most wonderful idea after we talked the other day,” Thor finally said excitedly. “A way for both of us to receive what we want.”

“Thor wishes for the release of his brother. And while I can understand why, I have not been able to bring myself to simply let him go into the world, at least not without some form of restraint.”

An unsettling, queasy feeling settled into the pit of Tetra’s stomach as the King talked, afraid of what he was going to say.

“But then he conjured up an idea that I must agree is rather brilliant and will solve all our problems. Loki needs someone, a handler, if you will to watch him. To make sure he stays out of trouble during his rehabilitation. And it cannot just be anybody, but someone we trust,” King Odin leveled his good eye on her, gaze intense. “Lady Tetra, I would trust you with that task.”

She blinked at him, confused and she looked to Thor for an explanation.

“Don’t you see? Loki can train you, give you the knowledge that you so crave. And in return, you will keep an eye on him and reintroduce him to the world,” he said fiercely, grabbing her hands tightly. “It is a perfect solution! What do you say?”

“I-I-I don't know,” she stuttered, not sure of what to say. She glanced at the King, at the man who had given her so much and helped her. Then at Thor, one of her dearest friends. They both looked so expectant, and she found she couldn’t say no. “I will do it.”

The smile that had been on Thor’s face stretched even wider, until he jumped up and pulled Tetra into a hug.

“Oh, thank you, thank you,” he chanted over and over. “We must go and tell Loki the good news!”

“My son, you may go. I need to speak with Tetra alone,” Odin said, waving a hand as if to dismiss him.

“But-“

“It’s alright, Thor. I’ll follow you as soon as we’re finished,” Tetra said, giving his hand a slight squeeze.

He looked down at her with crystalline eyes, worried and hesitant. But after she smiled a little, he nodded and left. Tetra always became so aware of herself when left alone with the King, always became just that much more careful of what she said or did. She sat back down in her seat, once again silent.

“Tetra, why did you agree?” he finally asked, voice heavy with curiosity.

She didn’t know to be honest, or how to explain what she was feeling or thinking.

“I care for Loki,” she responded quietly. “He is not the man he once was and I know Thor wishes for his brother back. I owe so much to you and your family, my King. If I can help, I will.”

“You owe us nothing. Your family was always welcome at the palace, and you are just as welcome now. Your father was the best adviser I could have asked for, your mother Frigga’s closest friend. And your brother…”

Tetra let out a small choked sob before she could stop it and a hand went up to her mouth hold another one in.

“I am sorry. I did not mean to upset you or bring back unwanted memories, my dear,” the King said apologetically. He padded her lightly on the arm, and she was thankful for the small comfort. “I only mean to say, that do not agree to this if you do not think Loki deserves a second chance. I don’t want you to feel obligated to help him.”

She thought back to her family, at the new life she had been given and knew she was making the right choice. She nodded her head firmly, decision made.

“Very well,” he sighed. “Go to my sons now. Share in Thor’s joy and tell Loki of the news. Tonight I will think over the terms of this agreement, and tomorrow you will learn of your new duties.”

Tetra rose from her seat, understanding that she had been dismissed. When she reached the door though she froze with her fingers wrapped around the handle and looked back over her shoulder, silver eyes shining.

“Everyone deserves a second chance, my King."

With that Tetra left, the slam of the door echoing and final.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooooo. Should be working on contest entries that I have due in a few days, but I decided to update this instead!
Also, I meant to update sooner but work sucks, ya know? Also, yes, I know, I said Loki would be in this chapter but it would've turned out suuuuuuper long. So that'll be in the next chapter.
And this story is just gonna end up really long in general, I think. Like 25+ chapters.
SO EXCITEDDDD GUYS!

Comment. Subscribe. Love Loki.
-Beki