Parasite

Of Burgundy Dresses

Despite her efforts to ignore the sounds coming from the room next to hers, Tetra knew the exact moment when Loki was finally moved to it. It was the same feeling before a particularly fierce storm, like the very air was charged with electricity. The small, little hairs on the back of her neck stood up and there was a queasy feeling in the pit of her stomach.

The fairytale book in her hands about a romantic prince wasn’t doing anything to distract her, and her thoughts kept trailing back to her conversation with King Odin that very morning.

“I gather that your visit with my youngest son yesterday did not fare so well?” he had asked, forehead furrowed with worry.

“He is very against training me, yes. But I believe it’s more of a reluctance to accept assistance, than anything else. Especially from Thor.”

“You are correct. Loki has always had troubled admitting defeat. The rivalry between Loki and Thor now burns brighter than ever and I did not expect Loki to simply play along with Thor’s plan,” the King sighed. “That is why we need you Lady Tetra. I am putting the very fate of Loki’s life into your capable hands.”


With a heavy sigh Tetra closed the book in her lap and got up from her seat on her bed. She moved over to the large window that took up most of one wall of her room, and looked out at the world of Asgard. The city streets were directly below her, but beyond that she could see the waters and the mountains. Past that were the Bifrost and the golden dome that housed Heimdall the Gatekeeper, a place very few people ever visited.

She heard the door to the chamber next to hers close with a dull thud, and an involuntary shudder went down her back. Only a bedroom wall separated her between the man who would now be her constant companion.

”Loki will be installed in the room next to yours and placed under your care. If he wishes to go somewhere, you must accompany him and a guard must follow. But he does not have to be with you in order for you to leave. When not with you, he will stay locked in his room and a guard posted outside the door. You may start your training whenever you deem appropriate, but I would suggest beginning tomorrow. If at any point he misbehaves, I will be informed and his freedom revoked. But, if in the future you believe him to be returned to the person he once was, his place in the Royal Family will be restored.”

Her musings were interrupted by a loud knock at her bedroom door and she went to go answer. The guard that was assigned to watch over her and Loki, Fendril, was standing outside. He was dressed in the traditional Asgardian armor, sword sheathed at his side and golden breastplate across his chest, but missing a helmet and cape.

“Lady Tetra,” he greeted. “Master Loki would like to speak with you.”

She groaned, knowing that her torture was only just beginning. Although he was supposed to be tied to her, she knew Loki would see it the other way around.

“Very well,” she mumbled.

Leaving the door open, Tetra went over to her dressing table and slipped her feet into the silver flats lying next to it. After smoothing the skirts of her dress down, she left her room, closing the door behind her. She didn’t even bother with knocking on Loki’s door and simply barged in, not quite sure what to expect.

For as long as she had lived in the palace, the room next to hers had been empty. Now it was stuffed full of furniture, including a large four-poster bed, a wardrobe, a writing table and a few chairs. Loki was standing in front of the only window, hands clasped behind his back.

“What do you want?” Tetra asked, annoyance heavy in her tone.

She was so used to seeing Loki in his green, gold and black armor so having him dressed in casual clothing in front of her was like a shock to her senses. Wearing a simple, dark green tunic see and black linen pants he turned to her, black hair pushed back from his face and falling about his shoulders. A scowl slid onto his face at the sight of her dress and she couldn’t help but smile.

That morning Tetra had dressed with care, knowing with a perverse sense of satisfaction that she would see Loki that day and he would disapprove of her dress. Red was not a color she favored because if it was not the right shade, it would often clash with her red-tinged auburn hair. But her one and only red gown was a deep burgundy that only made her hair looked more fiery in it’s complicated, twisted up-do. The shiny strands were piled on top of her head, held in place by a thin, silver headband that matched the silver clasp holding up the one shoulder strap of her dress and cuffs on both wrists.

“My brother’s colors do not suit you, Lady Tetra,” Loki finally said offhandedly, lips still tilted downward. “It makes your hair look much too orange.”

“Is that so?” she asked, trying hard to hold back her smirk. “I rather thought it looked quite fetching, but no matter. What did you call me in here for?”

After looking her over for a few more seconds he turned back to the window, hands once more clasped behind his back.

“I wish to go to the library.”

Just like she had thought earlier, he expected her to do as he wish, whenever he wanted. She stalked forward, intent on shaking on him and making him look at her when they spoke. Tetra couldn’t explain it, but her usually quiet demeanor flared to life when around Loki, all of her senses coming on red alert. Something about him now raised all of her nerves until they felt rubbed raw and she was tired after leaving him. But in the moment when talking to him, she just felt anger.

“Let me make one thing explicitly clear before our new found friendship goes any farther. Yes, we are now tied together but that does not mean you are allowed to order me around in whatever way you see fit. If you want to take one step outside your door, you will ask me politely. Otherwise you will stay locked in this room and it will just be another cell.”

Loki’s eyes snapped to hers, green flickering angrily.

“Well?” she prompted, one hand resting delicately on her hip.

“I wish to go to the library, please,” he finally ground out.

“Much better,” she nodded, approving of his manners. “I see no reason why we cannot treat each other with politeness until such a time when we are released from each other’s company.”

Together they left his room, informed Fendril of where they were going and because of his duties he was forced to follow them to the library. Although Tetra had put on a good show in front of Loki, she knew it was all a façade because her knees felt like collapsing.. Either way, it made no difference.

No matter happened from here on out, she would always feel unsteady in Loki’s presence.
♠ ♠ ♠
My brain is stuck in Asgard. Seriously. I'm even beginning to sound all formal and polite when I talk. SOMEBODY HELP.
Also, I do believe this is the fastest I've ever updated a story. It's the Lokiness, I just can't help it.
AND I AM SO EXCITED FOR MORE OF LOKI'S PISSY, ANNOYED PERSONALITY. He's such a little, how did Tony Stark put it? Full-tilt diva? Either way, it cracks me up.
Library scene next chapter, then after that training will probs start. Maybe, unless I think of something else before that. Hmm....

Comment. Subscribe. Recommend. Love Loki.
-Beki