Parasite

Of Poetry Reading

The walk to the Royal Library was silent and Tetra found herself walking there without even thinking, her feet having traveled the passageways there many times on their own. Fendril followed closely behind, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword, eyes trained permanently on the man next to her. She kept looking towards him, the tightening in her chest increasing with every glance.

The calmness with which Loki walked was unnerving, his steps measured and even. She couldn’t quite understand it, because her legs felt weak and unsteady just being next to him. Then again, for as long as Tetra could remember, Loki had always put her on edge.

They finally reached the doors that led to the library and she pushed them open, the scent of books instantly putting her frazzled nerves at ease. She heard Loki take in a sharp intake of breath and she turned to look at him, her own breath catching in her throat. The way the golden light came in from the glass ceiling and fell across his pale features and green eyes made her heart clench uncomfortably. The only way to describe his face was achingly beautiful.

He turned back towards her as if to say something but the ever present scowl slid back onto his face, destroying that beauty. She was coming to realize that when Loki wasn’t smirking his face was always twisted into that frown.

“Red really does not suit you, Lady Tetra.”

She blinked in confusion then realized the sun was falling on her face as well and she could only imagine how orange her hair looked in that moment.

“I happen to like red,” she sniffed, chin rising an inch higher in the air.

“Perhaps it’s not the color, but the man. I couldn’t help but notice how close you and my dear brother have become,” he commented, the words silky and cutting. “Could it be that he has finally forgotten that silly mortal down on Midgard and chosen someone more suitable?”

“Even if Thor had, it would be none of your business,” she retorted.

They moved further into the library, steps causing the wooden floorboards to creak loudly.

“Roman?” Tetra called. “Are you about?”

There was some shuffling noises before the Master Librarian came hobbling out from behind a bookcase. When he spotted Tetra his face broke out into a happy grin which disappeared almost as swiftly as it came when he spotted Loki standing off to the side looking bored.

“P-Prince Loki,” he stuttered, bowing his head. “What are you doing here? I had thought-”

“I have much reading to do, and would appreciate being left alone,” Loki interrupted coldly before walking off to the staircase that led to the second floor landing of the library.

Tetra turned to the confused looking librarian and explained the situation of Loki’s release, knowing that the news of it would not reach the rest of the kingdom until the following day.

“If you could please keep this information from everyone until tomorrow, when it will become general knowledge, Roman, I’d be very grateful.”

“Of course, milady. But are you positive that you know what you’re getting in to? Being Loki’s handler could be very dangerous, especially when you’re not receiving anything in return.”

For a reason that she couldn’t place, Tetra had kept the details of her training to herself. The situation between her and Loki was already too odd without adding the extra kink of her learning magik.

“I appreciate the concern Roman, but you need not worry.”

His hands twisted together a few times before he finally nodded, but his eyes were clearly conflicted.

“Thank you. I am going to find Loki and make sure he’s not causing mischief.”

He just nodded again before ambling off to the hallway that she knew led to his private chambers. She hated causing the old librarian worry, but it couldn’t be avoided. She followed the familiar path worn into the wood floors to the staircase and climbed up the steep, narrow steps. The second floor landing was alight with the mid-day sun but she was stopped short of enjoying it when she spotted Loki. He was seated at the same cluster of chairs she frequented herself, feet propped up on the balcony railing. There was a book in his hands but he was holding onto it limply, head tilted back with his eyes closed.

Tetra moved as quietly as she could to her normal red plush chair across from him, and the table laden high with books. She picked one up and frowned at the cover. The History of Defensive Magik?

“Since we’re starting from scratch, you must learn as much about magik as possible.”

She jumped, the book almost tumbling from out of her hands. She looked over to Loki who was no longer leaning back in his chair, but watching her with careful green eyes.

“Did you have to read from musty books to learn?” she finally asked, disbelief in her voice.

“No,” he smirked. “But then I’m not as hopeless as you.”

Her teeth ground together and she furiously bit back a sarcastic remark, but she settled into her chair with the book in her hands. They lapsed into silence as they read, but Tetra could barely focus on the words in front of her, the knowledge of different defense spells completely lost on her. She was watching Loki too much to notice anything else.

“What are you reading?” she finally asked, curiosity getting the best of her.

His green eyes flickered away from the page to glance at her before moving back.

“Poetry.”

“Poetry?” she scoffed. “The terrifying God of Mischief reading poetry?”

“Yes, is that so hard to believe?” he snapped, but there was no heat in his tone. Loki took a deep breath before lifting the book a little bit higher and opening his mouth. “She walks in beauty, like the night, Of cloudless climes and starry skies; And all that’s best of dark and bright, Meet in her aspect and her eyes.

His hypnotic voice drifted over her senses, the tone calming her as it always had. She wanted to ask him to read more, but his expression shut down once again. Tetra went back to reading her book on magik, peering over the pages every few minutes. As the quiet stretched she watched Loki visibly relax into his chair, his breath evening out. She was fascinated by his mood swings; how calm he was one second and harsh the next.

“How can you be so calm?”

Loki sighed with irritation, not even looking up from his book.

“You’ve been given your freedom and yet you act like nothing has changed. If I were in your place I would be so overwhelmed I wouldn’t know what to do with myself.”

He finally closed his book with an annoyed snap and set it on the table.

“I suppose it’s because I believe that my freedom is short-lived. Either I will offend you in some way and be tossed back into my cell, or you’ll realize that magik is incredibly difficult and give up,” he shrugged. “I don’t quite see the point in relishing in this freedom when it’s going to be taken away.”

With a shocked little gasp her mouth fell open, silvery eyes glaring at the relaxed way he was sprawled in his chair. His calmness was slowly going to drive her insane.

“I haven’t done it already have I?” Loki smirked. “That was rather quick.”

That was when the doors to the library were heaved open, and Tetra only caught a sight of the red cape before she was jumping up from her chair.

“Tetra, come take a ride with me,” Thor called to her, grin lighting up his features.

That was all she needed to race down and to his side, looking back up to the glare being sent their way from Loki. Tetra spoke with Fendril, instructing him to escort Loki back to his room before Thor was pulling her out the door, babbling about his new horse.

But she didn’t hear him, her mind still in the library with the confusing man that made her heart race. All at once she was happy to be away from him, but longed to go back. And the way he expected her to quit caused her temper to flare. She was more determined now than ever and she would prove him wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh, this chapter turned out long and very dialogue heavy, but it set up some important stuff. Next chapter training starts and that is when the shit is going to hit the fan.
And Loki with his rude little comments. I just love it.

Also, readers, if I started to write a Tom Hiddleston story would any of you read it? I sort of accidentally thought up the perfect plotline and now my brain won't stop thinking about it. Sound off in the comments section!

Comment. Subscribe. Recommend. Love Loki.
-Beki

PS Poem snippet was She Walks In Beauty by Lord Byron.