Parasite

Of Fabric and a Tailor

With every step that Tetra took back to her bedchamber, the dread that had settled in the bottom of her stomach had slowly morphed into anger and annoyance. Once again Loki was summoning her as if he owned her. The only reason she went quietly was because she did not want to cause a scene in front of the Queen.

But now that the guard that had originally came to retrieve her went back to his post and she was alone, her anger skyrocketed. She was sick and tired of the way that Loki was treating her, like she would bend to his will no matter the request. And she was finished with it. She was ready to hurl scathing remarks at him about his childish ways but when she reached the door to her room, all words dried on her tongue.

Loki was leaning against the wall next to the gilded wooden door that led to her chamber, for once not clothed in his usual armor. Ever since that first day when he had been moved from his cell, he wore his armor, like it could truly protect him from the rest of the world. Not just from blades and arrows, but the quietly whispered rumors that had floated all over the castle since his release. This time he had on tight-fitting black leather pants, black boots and a forest green linen shirt, tied loosely at his throat. Tetra’s eyes were captivated by the line of his elegant pale neck, and she couldn’t help but look downwards to the bit of toned chest peeking out from the top of the shirt.

Her gaze snapped back up to his face at the sound of Loki clearing his throat and she prayed that the embarrassment she was feeling at being caught staring wasn’t visible on her face.

“Now, I know the castle is quite large, and I can’t imagine that you got lost, but I can venture no other reason for what took you so long.”

Tetra’s annoyance and frustration came roaring back and the moment of fascination at Loki’s beauty disappeared like smoke.

“Yes, well, last time I checked you are not allowed out of your room without my company. Are you so eager to be tossed back in your cell, Loki?”

“With the amount of guards surrounding us I did not think it would be a problem if I waited in the hall,” he replied sardonically.

And he was right. Fendril was at his usual post nearby and there were guards stationed at each end of the corridor. Not to mention the sound of boots thumping and armor clanging that Tetra clearly heard as more guards patrolled the castle. She hated that he was correct.

“Now, follow me. We have much to accomplish in a short amount of time.”

He pushed up from the wall and started stalking down the hallway, clearly expecting her to follow. She had to trot to keep up with his long-legged stride and Fendril kept pace behind them. After a few turns down various hallways it became clear they were headed to the lowest front entrance of the palace used for welcoming visitors. When they stepped into the main parlor, the room was a flurry of movement and excitement. At least a dozen people ran back and forth carrying bolts of fabric, stopping to lay them on every surface possible, until the room was covered with flowing cloth. In the center of the room, barking orders at everyone, was a small man with a meticulously groomed goatee and short blonde hair. Once he caught sight of Loki, he called out for everyone to stop and the room froze. He came forward with an appraising gleam in his eyes, rubbing his hands together greedily.

“My Prince, I am so pleased to be of assistance to you.” He bowed deeply before turning towards Tetra. “Milady, I am prepared to clothe you in the most beautiful garments you’ve ever seen.”

“Thank you, Aldnarr. Show me what you have gathered for today,” Loki replied coldy.

Aldnarr was one of the most sought-after tailors in Asgard, and frequently clothed the Royal Family. Tetra had never met him but had heard terrible things about his greed and quest for notoriety. The only reason most people tolerated his slick and oily personality was because he truly did make some of the finest clothes in all the realms.

Loki followed Aldnarr into the sea of fabric, listening intently as the tailor spoke animatedly about what he had planned. Tetra was so overwhelmed by the sight of such rich, gleaming fabric that she didn’t hear Loki call her name, and realized the two men were waiting for her to join them. As soon as she stepped forward Aldnarr snapped his fingers and two women came rushing over. One immediately began taking measurements around various parts of Tetra’s body while the other scribbled down the numbers on a scrap of paper.

“Now, my Prince, I know you said the lady needs garments to wear during training, but might I also suggest some new gowns?” Aldnarr ventured. He looked at Tetra’s dress disdainfully before continuing. “To be quite frank, her current one is rather outdated.”

“Yes, yes, do whatever you think is necessary. Just please do not delay. It’s exceedingly difficult to train someone in magical combat when they’re constantly wearing skirts.”

Tetra was going to snap out a response, but Loki turned and gave her an icy stare that clearly said be quiet. She might be headstrong and stubborn, and yes, angry, but she wasn’t stupid. She only had a few pants and tunics and even they were not made for easy movement. She knew that she needed new clothes and would never have the means to acquire them herself, especially ones of an excellent quality as these were sure to be.

“Milady, if I may?” Aldnarr asked.

Tetra nodded numbly and stood quietly as piece after piece of fabric was draped over her shoulders, held up against her face and wrapped around her waist. Some Aldnarr would stop and ponder over and even ask Loki what he thought, others would be tossed away in seconds. The whole process seemed to take forever and after a while Tetra let her mind wander, thinking that she would rather be doing anything else, even listening to Loki bark orders at her in the field they had to taken to training in.

Aldnarr picked up a swatch of shimmery, dark green fabric and held it up to next to her cheek. She could feel the soft material against her skin, could see the green out of the corner of her eye, and had to admit it was beautiful. She owned next to nothing green and as she glanced at Loki she tried not to think about why that was. His eyes were trained on her intently, looking over her face and the green fabric that Aldnarr had now draped over her shoulder.

“My Prince, what do you think of this color?”

Loki didn’t say anything, but his nostrils flared out and he took in a deep breath, his own emerald eyes shining. With a curt nod towards Aldnarr the fabric was pulled away from her. Tetra knew his reaction was a strong one, but whether it was positive or negative, she couldn't decipher.

The same woman that had been taking her measurements came over to lead Tetra away from the men, and to the only armchair not buried fabric. On a small table next to it was a tea tray and Tetra quietly fixed herself a cup, stirring in minute amounts of sugar and milk. For a brief second she thought of her brother, of how milky and sweet he liked his tea and felt a stab of longing in her chest. She shook off the feeling and sipped at her tea slowly, careful not to burn her tongue, and watched Loki make decisions on her new clothing.

Not for the first time, Tetra was blown away by how confident and assured he seemed. After everything that happened in the past few years, the battle in Midgard, his betrayal of his brother, and the discovery of his true parentage, Loki never wavered in his ability to conduct himself with poise. Even his time in the dungeons couldn't seem to break him, no matter that his bravado was an illusion while locked away, he still held it.

He simply walked and talked like he was a prince. And he was.

It was in moments like this that Tetra remembered who she was, how little she had to offer the Royal Family, and how in debt she was to the King. Her promise to watch over Loki, to reacclimate him to the world, hung over her head like a dark cloud, an ever constant reminder of her place.

She truly did believe that everyone deserved a second chance. But more than anything she wanted to pay back the people that had given her so much.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've had this half finished for forever, and by some miracle I finished it. Enjoy this crap chapter. Still trying to get his going again, please bare with me.

-Beki