Status: Still working on this. Will update within a day of the last update until I get to the point I am in the story. (Hopefully.)

The Zeal of Eros

Chapter 1

There are times that even I was unsure if I would ever find that one person I could share a life, an adventure with. Guess I didn't imagine falling in love with someone who was so far out of my league, that it should be impossible. Though, like everything, it starts with a dream.

I was panting, running hard to get away from a creature that was nipping at my heels. I couldn't tell what it was, but it kept mimicking my grandmother's voice.

Come on, child. We can talk about this.” I knew not to trust the voice. The menacing creature that was mimicking it would rather just eat me.

The creature's bulky body, it's paws clawing at the ground. I had to escape, had to make it past the woods. It started to speak again, calling to me.

Come on, Aria. Let's go have cookies like before.” My mind kept telling me to keep running, to not get distracted. I had to make it to the clearing. I just wasn't sure why.

As my barefeet hit the edge of the clearing, there was a bright light. I covered my eyes, hearing the click of the monster's boned teeth as it struck me from behind. We rolled into the clearing, I got a better view of my attacker. It had the body of a lion, the front and hindquarters similar to a stag with colen hooves on all four feet. It's head was horse-like with a grin that went from ear to ear. In the grin, instead of teeth, were these two single bone bits that met in the smile.

It's mouth opened, speaking in that assured tone again.

Come now, darling. Struggling is pointless.” I put my arms over my face and neck, feeling parts of it's jaws closing on my arms. Then I heard the thunk, thunk against the animal's side.

“Hey! Leave the pretty little lady alone.” The creature growled at him and got off of me.

I looked up, only to see a bright light and the outline of wings. The figure in the light shot another arrow at the beast. The bright light came towards me, shooting another volley of arrows at the beast. The figure grabbed me and pulled me close.

I felt the updraft as the wings lifted us up. The light was growling intensely as I felt a finger on my chin that lifted my face up.

“Still finding trouble. Why do you always run away from me, little one?” I felt human arms wrap around me. It was the only comfort I found in my life. “I can't keep saving you, Aria.”
There was a light brush of a hand that felt more like a breeze.

“Sooner or later, they will stop me.” My breath was caught in my throat. I couldn't move. Nothing at all. There was a warmth of a smile. “Gods, I wish I could be with you... I'm sorry that this is all we'll ever be...”

I blinked, seeing the light start to dim, as was my own vision. The figure leaned in close, his voice saddening.

“No...” I started to slip into my own reality.