Status: Still working on this. Will update within a day of the last update until I get to the point I am in the story. (Hopefully.)

The Zeal of Eros

Chapter 6

“You are...?”

“Cupid?”

Last night had seemed like a dream. My mind kept trying to think of something rational, but there wasn't one. Coop was Cupid. I had seen his wings. Not his bow and arrows, but then again, Coop said he was a god. But my mind kept questioning why a god, someone immortal, was dying.

I sighed softly.

Dr. Walter had said that my dad would be coming to get me soon. But I had been waiting for Coop to come back. He said he would be here until I was discharged. At first, I had been so immersed in my thought that I hadn't noticed the looming figure in the doorway.

“Aria?” I blinked in surprise and looked up at Coop. I bit my lip, straightening out the sheet over me as he came in.

“Hey...”

“How are you feeling?” He brushed his hand against mine and I felt the tingling feeling through his touch. It was an unusual feeling. Wasn't even sure where it came from. I gently brushed his hand, still feeling that electricity. He looked pained, but he gave a weak smile. “I hear that you are getting to go home.”

I nodded and looked at him, biting my lip. I wasn't even sure what to say. Last night and most of yesterday was one of those “it can only happen in a dream”. But I know that it hadn't. He looked down, taking my silence, probably as something worse. I chewed on my lip.

“Coop, have you talked to them?” He looked back at me, staring at me like I turned into a creature. I didn't fully believe in the Gods, even him as one. But I knew he was real.

“Not yet. If they don't though... I don't know what else to do. Maybe we can get Psyche out of you.” My eyes widened.

“Take her out of me? What if Psyche is connected to the body and my soul?” I didn't exactly know where that came from, but fear had risen in my chest.

“Well...” He rubbed the back of his head. I knew he loved her, would do anything for her. Even killing me to get what he wanted. I turned away from him. “Aria. I wouldn't...” I shut him out.

“Because I'm just a mortal host to a girl you love...”

“Aria, it's not like that.” I turned over and furrowed my eyebrows. “I don't want you to die either. Monsters will come after you because you are hosting Psyche.”

I looked away again, feeling him grab my shoulder.

“Just trust me, Aria. I don't want you to die. You are the only one that actually listened to me. Didn't run away and get killed. You are the first in 3,000 years.” I grounded my teeth.

“You told me that every human host was destined to die.” Coop sighed softly.

“Maybe it will change.”

“Three thousand years and it hasn't changed. Is that why you sent the Empousai after me?” I looked at his face and saw how pale he got. At first, the thought didn't cross my mind. But that was the only thing that made since to me.

“What?” His voice sounded surprised, but almost outraged. That's when the emotions reflected off me.

“There was a dark figure who had the Empousai take me. He was sure of who I was and apparently didn't want me chained up and hurt.” He stayed tense.

“It wasn't me.”

“You are the only dark figure that I know of.” Coop's eyes turned red, his brows furrowing.

“Aria... It wasn't me who was there.” I chewed on the inside of my cheek.

His voice was starting to sound filled with anger. Probably from being accused. I looked away, gripping the sheets over my legs.

“Then who?” I could feel the tension rolling off him, but he wasn't saying anything. I felt him get up and stagger out of the room. I furrowed my eyebrows. “You're not going to explain yourself?”

I could see Coop's white knuckles on the door frame.

“It wasn't me, Aria. There is someone framing me, so that I lose you again. You have to believe me.” I bit my lip and clenched my hand. He started out the door. “I'm sorry, but I can't completely prove it to you. But it wasn't me.” He sighed softly. “I'll see you in school.”

Like hell you will. He disappeared past the door. My eyes started to water. Mostly out of frustration and how confused I felt. My dad came in, seeing the tears in my eyes.

“Baby, what's wrong?” He came over, leaning over the edge of my bed to hug me.

I wanted to push him away. But trying to push my dad away while he was hugging you was like trying to get a huge dog that sat on your foot and refused to get off until you pet them or call them off. My dad was a Saint Bernard. Just more humanoid.

He held me and whispered, “I heard about the rabid dog. You ok sweetheart?”

That did it. I let out a slight choked sob. My dad pulled me into another hug. I wasn't crying not out of frustration, but the fact that I couldn't tell my own dad what was going on.

Dad... I wish I could tell you everything... I shouldn't have promised anything. But here I was, stuck between two worlds with a lump in throat and a heavy heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Since this is one of my shorter Chapters, I'll be updating with Chapter 7 later today. This is for now until I get back on later tonight. :)