Status: Still working on this. Will update within a day of the last update until I get to the point I am in the story. (Hopefully.)

The Zeal of Eros

Chapter 8

I woke up on a gurney with a light blaring down at me.

“Ah. You're awake.” I tried to sit up, but seeing the IV in my arm made me even more sick to my stomach.

I immediately laid back down. An old woman came into my view. Old may have been the best compliment I had. She looked like an old witch with a hooked nose, hair that seemed all over the place. She had dark rings under her vibrant green eyes, like she hadn't slept at all. Her hands looked gnarly and her teeth were not taken care of. There was nothing that she expressed on her face that would make her feel more friendly. I think that she realized that because she quickly stopped smiling.

“I'm Dr. Hecate.” I bit my lip, but she quickly put her hand up. “Not to worry Psyche. I dealt with the Chimera's poison when it was in you.”

I chewed on my lip.

“Where's Coop?” It had to have been him. Dr. Hecate cocked her head to the side, more confused.

“Cupid isn't here, Psyche.”

“Then who brought me here?”

“I did.” A guy came into my vision. “Been looking for you a while Psyche.”

I immediately started to back away when his hand became outstretched. I felt like I was getting colder.

“He won't hurt you, Psyche.”

I looked up at the man's chocolate brown eyes. Though, his more olive skin was misleading. I bit my lip and gently took his hand, shaking it gingerly. I hadn't noticed that his hand was gloved. I felt the chill coming from him, and the feeling of death. Don't ask me how I knew what death felt like, but this was how I imagined it. Cold and dreadful. He let go of my hand.

“So this is Psyche.” I don't know why I didn't notice that they were referring to me as Psyche instead of Aria.

“My name isn't Psyche. It's Aria.”

The man was really tall and a little muscular, a teen like me and Coop. The chocolate eyes regarded me calmly. I felt really tense about it when he started to smile.

“I apologize, Aria. I also apologize for not introducing myself. My name is Thanatos.”

Another god... I didn't know how I knew about him, but it sent chills down my spine.

“You may call me Chance.” I chewed on my lip slightly.

“You said your name is Thanatos... As in the Bringer of Death?” I needed to study more of my mythology. This was becoming a pain.

I kept myself slightly curved away from Thanatos. He nodded solemnly. He looked genuinely saddened with himself.

“Yes. I am death's messenger, along with my sister, Celeste.” I furrowed my eyebrows. That was a new one on me. I bit my lip, trying to calm myself.

“Why are you here, Thanatos?” I could heard how shaky my voice was. And he looked calm about it.

How can he be so calm? How can anyone be that calm?

“Actually, I'm here because of you.” I blinked in surprise.

“Me?” He nodded, leaning against the wall.

“Yes. Gods, humans, pets. Anyone who is going to die, I come to collect.” I bit my lip.

“Did you come for Coop?” I felt a weight on my chest.

I didn't want Coop to die. I knew he was hiding things from me, but I remembered that black, live goo in Coop's chest.

Because of Psyche. For once, I hated Psyche. Mainly because she wouldn't remember Coop and save him from that fate. But am I any better?

“Somewhat him. Mostly you.” I looked up at him, my attention brought back to the situation presented. He regarded me calmly to the point that it was unnerving.

“Why me?” Thanatos sighed.

“You don't fully understand, do you?” I shook my head slightly.

“No. I don't understand any of it.” I was getting frustrated about it, my hands clenched the fabric under me. Thanatos sighed again. He came over to me, an outstretched hand.

“Do you really want Cupid to suffer, Psyche? Why not end his suffering this time instead of dragging him around?” I curled and flinched away, pulling the IV out of my arm.

Hecate had obviously not wanted to get involved. But the look in her eyes was obvious.

Just give it up. End love's suffering. But I couldn't.

“No...” I heard myself say.

“What?” Thanatos looked confused. A little angered for not having easy pickings.

“No... Cupid still has a chance.” I couldn't believe I was saying this. But I knew that I couldn't give up on him. Coop needed me.

Thanatos growled and tried to grab my arm. Though, the door burst open and in the door way was Coop. He was breathing heavily in the doorway, but his face was pure outrage. Thanatos had frozen up slightly.

“Cupid. You wouldn't try to take me on, would you?” Coop's eyes were burning red now. “Maybe you would.”

Thanatos grabbed my hair and pulled my head back, putting a blade to my throat. Coop tensed as I whimpered, trying to struggle out of Thanatos's hands. He pulled the blade tighter. I gulped. I could see Coop's hands clench.

“What will you do for your soul, Cupid? Beg for it back, let me destroy it?” I whimpered, trying to keep the blade from my throat.

Coop looked more stressed. Like a caged animal. He was between a rock and a hard place with a feral look in his eyes.

“Please.” He started to kneel and my heart clenched.

No... I struggled, trying to get Thanatos to lower the knife. Thanatos chuckled.

“Once again, Cupid, you bow down to death.” Coop clenched his hands at his sides.

“I implore you, Death. Let her go. I'll do anything. As long as it doesn't hurt Aria.”

“Why not call her by her true name?” Coop stayed quiet. Thanatos sighed. “I will let her go for your power.” My eyes widened. “You are dying anyway. You'll just be without your “love” powers.”

I grounded my teeth.

“Don't do it Coop.” The blade pressed more firmly into my neck. I wasn't going to be interrupting again.

“Now, now Psyche. Let the man choose what he wants to do. What he plans to do with the option that he has been given.” I grounded my teeth, feeling the blade unmoving from my throat. “Tick-tock Cupid. Sooner or later, I will take your powers or take her.”

“No. I will not let you take her.”

“Then you will give up your powers for her?” I saw the tenseness in Coop's shoulders.

I wanted to tell him not to. Without love, either he would be gone, or the world would fall into chaos. Death and despair. I blinked slightly, trying to understand why it seemed really like that was the absolute. I gulped.

“Let Aria go. And I will give you my powers.”

“Swear on Styx.” Coop raised an eyebrow.

“Scared that love will cheat you Thanatos?” Thanatos growled.

That's when I realized that Thanatos was scared of Coop. I didn't know why, but there was that obvious fear. But what did the God of Death have to fear from a weakened God of Love?

“Swear on Styx, or lose Psyche.” Coop looked at me. And I understood.

“I swear on the River Styx that you will get my powers as long as Aria and Psyche are safe. Deal?” Thanatos smiled wickedly.

“Deal.”

There was a thundering noise outside. Coop started a chant and I struggled to get to him.

Don't do this. I realized that there were two voices that were telling him not to. Coop started to pale, but kept up the chant. I struggled more to get to him. He started to collapse and that was when Thanatos let me go. I ran over to Coop and flipped him on his back. I put my ear to his mouth, trying to hear any breath.

His breath was pretty shallow, but at least he was alive. Thanatos chuckled darkly and peered at an orb that was colored in red. He chuckled more and disappeared with it. I knew that orb had to have been Coop's powers. I pulled Coop's head into my lap. I grabbed his hand, trying to find a pulse.

The room became lighter, and Hecate came into view. She rushed over with her stethoscope. She checked on him, her brow furrowing in worry.

“Let's get him on the bed and let him rest.”

“Death took his powers. What's going to happen to him?”

“He'll be as weak as a mortal.” She checked his chest, the chest still was rotting away. “And soon.”

I felt my chest clench in pain.

No... This was my fault. I should have... No. I knew there was nothing that I really could do at this point. I hadn't been able to stop him. In the next room over, I could hear a couple arguing. My eyes widened in realization.

Without Cupid's power, couples, relationships, friendships and families would tear apart. I wanted to head out, feeling like this was all my fault. A hand grabbed mine. Coop was looking up at me with his dark purple eyes.

“Please Aria...” His voice was cracking. “Don't leave...”

I squeezed his hand and pulled up a chair beside him. I bit my lip.

“It's my fault... I should have done something so you wouldn't have lost your powers.” Coop had reached up and put a finger to my lips.

“Shh... You couldn't have done anything to actually stop it. He had a knife to your throat.” I looked down, a question forming in my mind.

“Why have I not been affected by your loss of powers? Why am I not going bat-crazy on you?” Coop smiled that conniving smile again.

“You possess Psyche, Aria. That's why.” I shook my head slightly.

“If I possessed Psyche, I should have been able to help you. Not be captured and used for bait. I should have been able to help with your chest and keep you from losing your powers.” Coop grabbed my hand, but I quickly pulled my hand away.

“Aria...” I looked at him, feeling more and more guilty. It had been my fault that he had lost his powers and was dying. Coop sighed softly. “Aria, I can't read your mind, but this wasn't your fault, Ok? I stayed to fight for you and Psyche. I'm not going to stop fighting until you are safe.”

With your death... The voice was saddened and pained. And wasn't me. I felt this pull in my mind, feeling myself being pulled out, or to be exact, pulled back. There was a pain at my temple and I held my head.

“Aria? What's wrong?” I was shoved into the darkest part of my mind. But I could still hear and see what was going on.

“Sad you don't remember me. Cupid.” That was my voice, but it wasn't exactly me. Something more mature.

“Psyche?”