Status: Still working on this. Will update within a day of the last update until I get to the point I am in the story. (Hopefully.)

The Zeal of Eros

Chapter 9

This is Psyche. She smiled my smile and grabbed Coop's hand in reassurance. She rubbed my cheek against his hand. I know at one point I felt myself shivering in the back of my mind. It's that feeling that you aren't in control of your body. And it scared and disgusted me. Mainly because I wasn't in possession of my body and that meant my reactions weren't my own.

Psyche held his hand a little tighter. He reached up to touch her face – my face. God, this was confusing. She closed her eyes.

“You remember Psyche?” Psyche had let tears fall and nodded.

“But it's too late to actually help...” Coop shook his head.

“It's never too late Psyche...” Psyche had let a tear fall and shook her head.

“Not with two souls in one body and you without your powers. I should have...” He hushed her softly.

“Psyche, it's going to be ok. I promise you.” She looked at him and held his hand.

I felt like an awkward stranger in the situation, but I also felt a burning feeling in my body. Psyche froze, must have noticed something was wrong.

“I must let Aria back out, she's starting to burn.” Coop looked like he was going to protest, but Psyche cupped his face. “Don't worry.”

She leaned down and kissed him, making me shiver again. I was pushed forward to control my body again. Coop hadn't noticed until I tried to pull away.

“Please.” Coop's voice was upset and made me more sad.

I looked at him as he held my face. I didn't want to break his hopes and dreams. Did gods dream? I shook my head. I didn't want to think about it. I needed to tell him though.

“Coop, it's me. It's Aria...”

I heard my voice cracking and sighed softly. And Coop looked potentially disappointed. And that guilt started to build on my chest. He let go of my hand only slightly. I sat down on the edge of his bed, sighing softly.

“Kind of a switch of roles, huh?” He was trying to brighten up my mood, which wasn't completely working.

“How so?” Coop smiled softly.

“I'm the one in the hospital bed and you are sitting on the edge of the bed.”

“At least I'm not hiding something and taunting your curiosity.” Coop rubbed his chin.

“Touche.” He rested his hand on mine, which I actually recoiled from. And again, he looked more disappointed, whispering, “Aria, come on. What's got you mad?”

I sighed softly.

“Just mad at myself.” he tilted his head and I shook my head, getting up. “Go ahead and rest Coop.”

I started out the door, but stopped when my name was called.

“Aria.” I sighed softly and turned back, looking at Coop, whose eyes had turned black. “Do not confuse my intentions. I will protect you. Both of you.”

I watched him and sighed sadly.

“You just want your precious Psyche.” I stepped out before he could counter, biting my lip in worry.

I sat on the bench and put my face in my hands. How could this all be so wrong? Coop deserved to be alive, have his girl and live happily ever after. The only problem was me. I was blocking that dream at this point. I sighed softly.

Is it selfish to want to live, even at another's suffering? My heard said yes. It was very selfish to have those feelings. I sighed softly again. I should have never even talk to him. GAH! It's hard to be the bigger person.

I sat there for a while, the images still fresh is my mind. Coop was the one reason that I felt guilty. It was my fault that he lost his powers and love was going to fall.

“Damn.” I let that sink in as I heard more arguments throughout the hall.

Couples fighting, families tearing apart. Thanatos was a monster. I heard scuffling and shuffling coming toward me. A form sat next to me and grabbed my hand. I looked up at coop who was looking over me solemnly.

“Coop, you should be resting...”

He put a finger on my lips and touched my cheek, caressing. His touch was gently and weak. It had made me even sadder. This wasn't guided towards me. I knew that much.

“Aria...” I couldn't even look him in the eye. “Aria, please looked at me.”

I bit my lip. I don't want to... But my mind told me how rude it was. I took a deep breath and chewed on my lip as I looked up at him.

He whispered, “I care a lot about you, Aria. Do not get me wrong. And this is something Psyche can hear too, but I have started to fall for you, Aria. Yes, I still love Psyche, but I have also gained feelings for you.”

I blinked in surprise as he leaned in close. My dark knight had feelings for me. I couldn't actually comprehend and I couldn't see his eyes to judge what he meant. His dark hair covered his eyes. He had frozen midway between us, making it seem like he would allow me a chance to choose.

This is wrong, but... I reached up slowly, hesitating slightly as I gently cupped his face around his cheeks and gently brushed the hair out of his eyes. His eyes were starting to turn sea blue from the usual violet coloration... That coloration that I grew to hate and adore. Because it was my color.

He watched me curiously. I leaned up and kissed him gently. I don't really know who was more surprised, him or me. I felt all these emotions and a spark from it that I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not. We held that kiss for a few moments before we both pulled back.

He stared at me and I blushed, looking away from him. I shouldn't have kissed him. I shouldn't have any emotions for him, but hate and guilt for what had happened this time that he had to deal with a reincarnation. He gently turned my head back to look at him.

“Aria...” There was a smile playing on his lips again. He must have found it amusing that I was getting flustered by my currently dilemma. He brushed my cheek gently. “Gods how beautiful you are.”

I gently caught his hand on my cheek. I looked at him.

“There can only be one, Coop. You can't just hop between us. I'm not that kind of girl and I don't care if you are the God of Love. It's not healthy and very wrong.” I set his hand down. He sighed softly.

“Aria, I'm not going to choose between you two. Because in the end, yeah, there will only be one that I will have and want to be with. I do not know how it will play out, but the oracle told me how it was going to go down in riddle. It hasn't played out completely yet.” I bit my lip.

Only one of us would be left? He decided this was the best time to bring this up? I turned away from him. So only one of us would make it out of this. That meant either Psyche was going to die or I was. That made it a little worse. I chewed on my lip and shook my head.

This is going to get much worse. Coop must have seen the look in my eyes because he wrapped his arms around me as glass broke in the room next to us. He pulled me close as a man stomped out of the room and out of the hospital. I looked up at Coop.

“What's going on with them?”

Coop sighed and whispered, “This is a world without love.”

I blinked.

“Why has it not affected us though?” He held me close.

“Remember how I said you possess Psyche. She is the soul. The soul knows best. Just people don't know how to use it. And I'm a god.” I shook my head and touched his chest, trying not to touch where the gaping hole was, looking up at him.

“You're not a god anymore though. You gave up your powers to Thanatos. You are turning human.” He furrowed his eyebrows.

“How do you know?” I bit my lip and looked at him.

“Your eyes are turning a normal color and Hecate said so herself. You are turning into a mortal.” Coop sighed softly and couldn't really hide from me here.

I was starting to realize how I've been able to read him now that things were out in the open. He sighed and ruffled my hair.

“You two are the only ones to ever actually read me and know me better.” I bit my lip and removed his hand.

“Will it start to affect you?” I tilted my head curiously. He looked down at his hands.

“I'm not sure...” I looked down at the ground and sighed softly.

“But,” I looked up at him and heard him whisper, “I will protect you.”

He puled me into a hug and I felt a clench in my chest again. I know that this was going to get worse throughout all this. But Coop had his hopes running on all this. That he had his Psyche.

Psyche... I still had many questions of her. How come she hadn't taken over my body a long time ago instead of just now when things were unraveling? Why now?

I guess... Only time would tell.