Status: Currently being developed. Please be patient.

Brave New World

The Ball

“Oh you have to go tell him…” 



“He’s taking to the damn duchess, the one that spits on everyone.” 



“But he has to know….. He would want to see for himself.” Augustus said as he quickly loaded garnishes along the edges of several dozen plates. “Get out there and tell him, for Heaven’s sake, or I will do it myself.” Augustus leaned over and set a cocktail on a boy’s tray.



A small blonde boy shook his head and then looked at the cocktail that was set on his silver dish. He knew it all too well. As he walked down the back hallway he picked the drink up off his tray and sipped it. He squinted a little and set it back down. It was as awful as the last time he had tried it. He put his back against a large wooden door and then smiled as he entered a huge room. It had majestic, gilded ceilings. At least 200 people filled the hall. They were dressed in their most luxurious outfits. Tuxedos, Marc, Louis, Chanel, Ellie, Davis, Louboutin…. the list of designers represented in fabric went on. Edmund wore the best suit he had. It was given to him, but it didn’t make it any less special. He squeezed through people making it to the front where three thrones sat on an elevated platform. Edmund looked up and sighed to see they were all empty. He cut out to the side and circled up a staircase and smiled to see his target. He stood next to a slightly taller, blonde man with shoulder length hair. He had a turned up nose, and soft gestures. He wore white gloves tonight and his standard jeweled, silver wired crown. It was simple, but it made it’s point. Edmund out of custom nodded when he took his place next to the Prince. 



“Your majesty…” Edmund whispered and stared at the ground as he waited for the drink to be taken. 



“What did I tell you about fucking calling me that….I hate that.” the young prince whispered back and lifted his drink off and turned his back to the crowd and stared at the wall as he sipped his drink. 



“Get over it, I get paid to say it…so I say it. By the way that drink is still disgusting. I wish I could talk you into something better.”



“I wish I could talk you into not drinking my drink all the time so maybe I could enjoy more of it, you little asshole” The prince smiled and then shook his head taking another sip. “The surprise cocktail was very nice though, but it meant you have something good to say. What’s the word?”



“Can I not just bring my favorite prince a drink?” Edmund scrunched his nose and looked up at Prince Andreas. He was stunningly beautiful, and despite his somewhat feminine features, he had a look of power. Andreas’ eyes met Edmund's.



“Stop it, you know I enjoy it, but you have a track record.” Andreas’ lips spread into a smile. Edmund dropped his tray at his side. 



“Duke of Queensbury dropped his phone outside and it was crushed by the Burbon’s limo. Princess Adela has arrived, so I’d find a hiding spot. The loud italian man has already lost his wig. Your mother confused the French triplets again so they have been hiding in the bathroom. And….I’m suppose to let you know that the Travers family are on their hands and knees looking for a contact lens dropped by the royal 14 year old pain in the Princ-ass.”



“Princ-ass isn’t a word….Don’t be so silly. I will say that I must have a look though.” Andreas smiled and turned to look over the banister at the sight of now 10 people on the ground crawling in $1,000 dresses. Andreas and Edmund giggled at the sight until a slight clear of the throat was heard. Andreas and Edmund paused and stood up straight.



“I’m going to go……”



“Fuck you….” Andreas replied under his breath and turned to see a girl in a pink gown. Edmund cut out quickly with his tray and back to the kitchen as Andreas walked a few steps forward and bowed infront of the girl. She curtseyed in response and then stood up straight. “Good evening, Adela.” 



“Princess Adela, to you, Prince Andreas.” She smiled and walked forward and took his hand. “I’ve been here for 30 minutes and I haven’t been offered a dance from you. I’m starting to think you have lost your interest in me. She batted her eyes so slightly and held to Andreas’ arm and lead him down the staircase. Andreas sighed as he smiled to those walking up the stairs. 



“You don’t get tired of all the titles? I honestly would like to just skip tonight.” Andreas whispered to her as they paraded down the stairs.



“I hate that you feel that way. I just adore getting dolled up in my finest to come see you and the boys. I heard the Italians are here tonight.” She waved at other princesses as they reached the first floor. Andreas wanted to run away now but he had already been caught and the thought of her chasing him and discovering how to get to his bedroom, was a far more dreadful idea than the thought of spending the next three hours with her.



“I hate that you don’t know me enough yet that after 10 years you still fail to grasp that this the last place I want to be.”



“Where would you like to be then, Andreas?” She looked up at him with her soft smile and beautifully carved features. She really did look like a tanned Porcelain doll. 



“In my room, studying. Maybe out riding. Pulling pranks on the neighbors…or just in sweat pants.”



“Well you are not. So let’s make the most of it shall we. I love that the Dietrichs still believe in ball room dancing. Take me won’t you?” She smiled as she didn’t let him answer but instead guided both of them to the dance floor.



“Now entering the floor…..”Prince Andreas Dietrich the Third of Berlin accompanied by Princess Adela Von Braun of Hamburg.” As the announcer finished Andreas bowed and pulled the girl out on the floor with him and smiled as they sailed around the room. Andreas couldn’t help but look at everywhere but into her eyes. She stared right at his though. 



“I was thinking we could go to Milan in a few weekends. I’d love some company. Or perhaps you’d rather go to Paris?” She whispered as they danced. He said nothing as his eyes searched for Edmund. No sight at all of him. Andreas just nodded and shrugged.



“Sure…” he said not really paying attention to what he had just agreed to. They danced for a few more minutes as Andreas ignore the requests and comments that poured out of Adela’s mouth. For such a beautiful girl, she was a lot to handle sometimes. She was certainly too much for Andreas. Andreas twirled her to the boundary of the ballroom floor that only had about 5 couples including them. Suddenly Adela was taken out of his arms and embraced in a dancing motion by one of the many single princes there. Andreas took no time escaping the dance floor and slipping into the back hallway. He worked on taking his tie off and he took the crown off his head and walked into the servant quarters where he found Edmund and a few other servants watching different monitors. Most of the servants stood quickly and bowed but not Edmund. He sat lazily on a couch and smiled. 



“That took longer to ditch her than usual.” Edmund said as he watched the other servants either remain standing and moved to the door or took a seat. Andreas plopped on the couch next to Edmund and unbuttoned the top of his shirt as he looked up at the screens. He could make out his father greeting guests, Adela being swept around the ballroom by a new man and the Polish taking out all of the crackers. 



“I will go fill it up.” Called out one of the servants and then it was just Edmund and Andreas. Edmund had his feet kicked up on a table as Andreas crossed his legs staring at the monitors. He enjoyed this more than partaking in the fancy events. Part of it was the fact that he knew here he couldn’t be watched like he was when he was out there.



“So what were you talking to Adela about? Finally agreed to marry her and be the power couple of Germany?” Edmund joked. 



“I can’t even remember…She’s the death of me, Edmund.” He whispered and closed his eyes and laid his head back. Edmund snuggled closer to him.



“Next time I will skip the drink and come straight out there with the news. My apologies, your majesty….” He whispered with a smile. 



“Fuck you.” Andreas whispered and then folded his arms over his chest. Edmund smiled and laid his head on the prince’s shoulder and then relaxed against him softly. Andreas always felt the need to protect Edmund. After all, Edmund was the only friend that Andreas felt that he had. Since they were young, only about 10, they had been friends. Their ages were so close it was almost an instant connection. They grew up together. Stealing things from the kitchens, late night trips to the servants’ quarters to play war together by the light of a candle, being careful to not get caught. Andreas and Edmund were inseparable. Not many people knew. If the prince had been caught devoting so much time to a servant, that could destroy the seperation of social classes. Andreas could care less, Edmund meant everything to him. Edmund would never be a servant in Andreas’ eyes. Edmund was his brother. He had dreams of awarding Edmund as general so they didn’t have to hide their friendship. Maybe one day. Andreas closed his eyes briefly and stopped watching the monitors and settled next to Edmund. 



“Get the fuck up, are you crazy?” Augustus shouted and threw a spatula at Edmund. The two blondes woke up quickly and Edmund was quick to his feet. “The King is approaching….” Andreas didn’t have to have it repeated. He was on his feet and picked up a baguette and then waved it in Augustus face. He mouthed the words ‘sorry’. In a few quick steps King Hans Dietrich opened the doors of the servant quarters and looked at the three men. Andreas didn’t look up as he kept waving the bread in Augustus’ face. 



“I told you, I wanted the basil oils…..You give me a spinach dip. How many years have you worked for us and you can’t remember that I like the basil?” Andreas turned to look at Edmund, “However, thank you for the drink, it was more than delightful.” Andreas turned to march out when he met his father’s eyes. “Oh, father, hello…I’m sorry I just had to complain, as you always tell me, I’m good at that….socializing….not so much. Always best to stick to your strengths?” Andreas threw on a fake smile hoping his smooth line worked. However, judging by the king’s face it didn’t. Andreas passed over the baguette to Augustus and then walked past the king to the hallway. As soon as the door shut Augustus threw the bread to Edmund and rolled his eyes. 



“Why aren’t you the one ever getting in trouble? I’m always the one getting yelled at for the sake of covering up the bullshit that you two hide.” Augustus shook his head and slid into the kitchen. 



“It’s simple. I’m cuter. No one can even PRETEND to be mad at me….let alone REALLY be mad at me.” Edmund smiled and turned following Augustus.



———-



“Get that tie tied, son. The party isn’t over until the…..”



“ Señorita Roberta sings?”



“Andreas, heavens sake, please stop.” King Hans sighed and then looked over at Andreas as he tied his tie. “She’s a lovely girl.”



“As long as she stays away from the dessert table, my god, father, have you actually witnessed the destruction that happens?”


“Sometimes I feel like I should pass the crown to Hamburg.” King Hans said under his breath and then shook his head, “Andreas, listen, the press is trying to bring up my political dealings. Agree with whatever they say I’ve said.” 



“Some background info would be a preferred method. If it doesn’t have to do with the latest polo match or newest disc jockeys, I’m afraid I have no insight on it.” Andreas said with a bit of an attitude.



“The LGBT community. They are becoming restless. They want equality, but can you imagine the destruction having two kings would create? Or heaven forbid……two queens.” His eyes got big and he shook his head. “ I’m proposing that we delicately shut down the idea of the community growing. We politely transfer their businesses to outlying countries. We ask them to step down from any platform they create. Any public gesture to promote this lifestyle will be stopped as non violently as possible, of course. We can’t let this distasteful, unnatural mindset continue for any longer. I don’t want Germany to be the laughing stock of Europe. Think of what has happened with Great Britain. Or the fall of Oscar Wilde…..Alexander the Great….. for as long as history goes back we’ve seen that this unnatural mindset is a weak, impulsive decision. Nothing good comes from living in lust, son. Nothing.”



“I don’t understand how men could live together anyway. Everyone needs a mother and a father. They need the solid hand of a father, the gentle caress of a mother. It only makes sense. “ Andreas states as they neared the ballroom. 



“I raised a smart boy after all.” King Hans grinned and then as soon as they reached the threshold of the ball room he moved to the right to socialize. Prince Andreas felt the awkward feeling of having no natural circle to drift to. He’d rather be with Edmund. However just as his father predicted the media had found him.



“Andreas!! Prince Andreas!! A word please? Prince Andreas?”



“What are your thoughts about your father’s latest platform? Do you agree with what is being said?”



“Do you think the Prime Minister will help put this into practice. What will it mean for you?” 



“Who did your hair this evening?”




The last line caught his attention and by the time he turned around to answer he realized how the devils roped him in. He paused and bit his tongue for a moment and then smiled softly.



“Monsieur Charles…. The finest of France. For instance, do you see these slight undertones.” He smiled as the female reporters leaned in and lowered their microphones. “ The three quarter inch cut is just enough to let the undertones shine without having a chopped and dark look. It’s a great style but I’m afraid it is not my style.” 



“Will you please address the situation in the parliament?” Andreas wanted to punch the woman who didn’t fall for his free beauty tip trick. Instead he brushed his hair over his shoulder and looked down at her and bit his lip. 



“The parliament is not my scene and not my job to deal with at this point in time, but I fully support my father’s choice. He is doing the country good, by eliminating unnatural and detrimental things such as same sex love. I love the people, I know some of the royals tonight participate in that lifestyle, but that is within their country, not ours. I’m excited to see the stability that my father will bring to the German households. If you will excuse me….”



“Andreas, are there any leading ladies in your life at the moment?” Andreas paused as they wrapped up the interview with the dumbest question possible. It was typical of the German press. He leaned forward and smiled into the reporter’s eyes and made sure his lips leaned over the microphone in an almost arrogant way.



“Certainly, my mother comes to mind. Also, Matilda makes the best coffee you’ve ever tasted. Without her I don’t think I’d be up this late. She’s standing right over there if you’d like to experience it for yourselves.” Andreas didn’t even bother saying anything else as he waved and turned on his heel going to the front of the room and taking his place in his throne and took out his phone to check his social media sites to ignore any more interactions. No one was allowed to approach the thrones unless employed by the castle. Andreas relaxed into the velvet and locked his eyes on the Princess Adela and smiled as she flirted with the Spanish boys. For being a nuisance, she was spectacular to look at. Andreas took a deep breath and searched the employees for any sign of Edmund but not anymore tonight, more than likely. Andreas was soon joined by his mother at the front of the room. Her feet were killing her in her new heels. Andreas was happy for the company. Queen Letta was very silent. Her thoughts were contained in her head. She never became politically involved. Andreas learned to be involved as little as possible, but with being the only offspring of the two, he had no choice sometime. The youth of Germany were eager to hear from their potential king. Andreas wished he could talk to his mother about tonight and the press, and Adela, but she kept her chin high and her mouth shut. This way everyone thought she could be thinking the same thing they were. They didn’t have her opinion. She easily became everyone’s family favorite. Andreas watched as twirling gowns swirled around the floor and cameras flashed. He couldn’t wait for tonight be over. All he wanted was to go sleep in his own bed and not have to worry about reporting to anyone. In a few hours at about 2 am he received his wish as drunk ambassadors stumbled out the door, some even carried. Andreas was glad the show was over as he slowly climbed the stairs up to his personal quarters. Nothing felt better than cold silk sheets over his aching body.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please give honest feedback. This story is a collaboration of several different authors. There are a lot of twists and turns with this story. Please subscribe so I know you are interested in the direction of the story.

Thanks for reading!