Status: Currently being developed. Please be patient.

Brave New World

The Separation

Edmund and Augustus had made it to the Chateau de Francis. Augustus walked in. He left the sobbing Edmund and their bags outside. He walked in. It was a smaller version of the palace; only the noble stayed here. Augustus took off his work cap and walked up to the desk. Two well fed men stood up front.

“How can we be of service?”

“You’ve been expecting us? I need a room courtesy of King Dietrich. I’m Augustus…” Before Augustus could even spit out his last name he was stopped and watched the round gentlemen shake their heads.

“We have records that demand separate bedrooms. Is your guest with you?” They asked flustered. August stood quietly and looked back at Edmund who still had puffy eyes. The men looked back and shook their heads as Augustus gave them his full attention again. “King’s orders. One bedroom per guest. Who shall the first room be assigned to?” Augustus didn’t speak a word as he processed the hatred he was hearing. Edmund was still too emotional. Augustus having a clear mind looked between the men and raised an obscene gesture,

“We will stay somewhere else” Augustus looked at the man taking Edmund under his arm.

“It will have a price. This is free lodging, sir, provided by his majesty. You put quite a deal of insult on his majesty by refusing” The men warned. Augustus stopped and looked back.

“Oh...right….because he treated me like a precious gem.” Augustus spat and lead Edmund out quickly. Edmund stared at the ground gripping to Augustus. The boy could barely operate. Augustus looked around the streets. For once he was concerned. They had to find shelter before sunset. He began walking down the street. For a modern world, they were surrounded by an awful lot of cobblestone to preserve history. August frantically looked around for a sign. Every ‘now hiring’ sign offered a glimpse of hope. One by one they were turned away.

The streets weren’t heavily populated, but enough to blend in, enough to disappear. A man had been following the two. He had been observing. He took note of the ex-royal employee’s clothing. Dressed in black with dramatic shaved side cut, he was silent as could be. He could blend in at the drop of a hat and could follow with professional skill. His eye was caught by the silent Edmund. The taller Augustus only seemed like an obstacle at this point. The skilled man studied Edmund’s face, the boy’s sad expressions and red eyes not deterring him from his hunt. A worried August asked Edmund to sit on a bench as he approached an inn. Augustus pulled his wallet out counting his bills as he approached the building.

A muffled unusual noise landed on Augustus’ ears. He turned to see the black figure with a hand over Edmund’s mouth and pulling him behind a building. August dropped his wallet and took off after the two. The figure only moving out of sight. He happily took in Augustus to his control and smirked as he now had the two pinned.

“Well, well….two castle boys….what are two pretty doves like you doing so far from your guards. Tragic….” The figure whispered looking over them and then laughing a bit watching the two struggle. “I know what we shall do with you….especially you.” The other smirked looking over the blonde, “You are what I’ve been searching for….they will have fun with you” He whispered. He whistles and more men came out from hiding. They picked up everything: the boys, their bags even grabbing Augusts’ wallet. “No trace, boys” He called out. The men laughed at their apparent leader. The taller man turned and took the back alley ways away from the center of town as five men followed him with their new finding.

Edmund was crying as he was lead to a huge building. Scantily clad women were hanging against each wall. They called out to the men dressing them up with compliments as they walked by. The leader and troops shoved the women off in disgust as they finally entered the building. It was darkly lit and completely empty. The troops released the boys setting them in chairs but heavily guarding any and all escape routes. Edmund was shaking at this point in tears. Augustus himself was trembling as he looked around. He whispered to Edmund to be strong. He reminded the smaller boy he was there with him. Augustus was sure his words were falling upon deaf ears. The mysterious dark figure pushed through. Augustus got a better look. They were similar in height. This man was covered in piercings and tattoos. He wore makeup dark around his eyes. His hair gracefully laying styled over one eye. He smirked making his lip ring flash in the light.

“Isn’t this a special day for us boys….” He whispered and smiled looking back at his men, “Leave the little one for me….everything and...everyone can be sent upstairs for now” That is when Edmund looked up and to his horror Augustus was lead off. “If you care about everyone’s well being… don’t fight my boys” The leader called out. The chef looked back and hung his head. Nothing could be worse than this. He submitted and went up the stairs. The stylish figure took a seat next to Edmund and smiled looking over at him, “I’m Veric…” Edmund looked up he couldn’t even make emotions anymore. He was ready to give up and give in. Veric smiled and looked over the blonde, “This is going to take a while I can tell...good thing I have all day, but not all night.” Veric snapped, “Boys….get him a drink and we will start there.” Veric smiled and moved his chair to sit in front of him and stared into his eyes smiling. Edmund avoided them at all costs. He refused the drink. The room fell silent. Only the sound of Veric’s chair scooting closer could be heard. He smirked, “Two can play this game and I bet I will win” He whispered.

______

Andreas rolled onto his back and stretched. He squinted as a large maid opened the curtains. Painful sun rays struck his eyelids. He groaned and flipped over before he was done stretching.

“Vitamins from the sun, they are good for you this morning. So would water…..much water” the maid called out. Andreas opened his eyes slowly. His pupils adjusting to the sun filled bedroom. He looked at the clock. It was far past an acceptable time to be getting up, however, for Andreas, it usually did not matter the time he arose. He sat up and reached for his phone going through the latest tabloids from last night.

“The rumors, Gertie, I can’t even…...really where do they come up with these things? The employees must be Germany’s must creative thinkers…..and people fall for it!” He tossed his phone on the bed. The large maid came over to give Andreas his coffee. “Oh, darling Gertie, I love you with all my mind body and spirit, but also send my love to Matilda. You know how much I enjoy this part of the morning.” Andreas smiled. Gertie turned at once to deliver the message. Andreas arose and walked to the window looking out. Everything was cleaned and as it should be. “You know, they could leave a little trash, just to remind everyone why we are so tired this morning. You know, a champagne bottle or two in the pools, lace gloves caught in the trees, pastry papers in the vases…..” Andreas whispered to himself to any living creature listening, “It might alert me that it wasn’t a nightmare that I had to dance with the duchess, it actually happened.” Andreas frowned and sipped his coffee wrapping his silk shirt around him. As Gertie returned they were quick to make his bed while he was out of it. He walked out of the hall and down to the main floor. He sipped his coffee as he took in the now silent and empty castle. It was his favorite part of his morning routine. He’d walk down the great hall explore the treasuries and libraries. He’d make a stop in the kitchens as well. It was great exercise, it was quiet, but more than anything he was alone. No one ever joined him. He walked alone with no one around to bark orders at him. He felt as free as he could, even though surrounding him were massive walls of marble and graced with velvet curtains. He walked down the hall that felt more like an empty football stadium. He reached the end and turned heading towards the kitchens. It was his weekly tradition to visit the kitchens. The workers themselves were hard working, real, authentic people that Andreas liked to connect with. So much of Andreas’ life felt like for show and the thought of having to perform for anyone and meet their expectations was terribly disgusting in his opinion. Andreas rounded the corner and slipped through a plain looking, almost camouflaged door. He entered the dark tunnel like hallway, the klink and bangs of pots and pans already meeting his ears. He smiled and sighed, he was momentarily cut off from the world of the royalty.

“Prince Andreas….” One chef bowed and looked worried down at the floor avoiding the eyes of the prince. Prince Andreas pulled the man’s shoulder up asking him to stand. He looked at him and shook his head,

“No need for that. I tell you that every weekend” Andreas offered a smile and then movement caught his attention. Several of the cooks and staff members were moving into the servant meeting hall. Andreas followed and walked in and hid in the back behind the servants. He sipped his coffee as his eyes tried to locate the source of everyone’s interest.

“I appreciate everyone’s time. As human resource officer for the palace staff, it is my job to find of the best of the best for his majesty. It is an ongoing process that is both exciting and challenging. My hope is that my efforts have paid off. During the last searching period, I came across a chef from Austria. He has national award winning desserts, a five star restaurant and more accolades than you can imagine.” The man smiled and nodded as he watched the staff’s faces light up. “He has happily accepted our offer and will be joining us here at the Dietrich palace as our new full time Head Chef and Director of Culinary Affairs. I am honored to introduce Chef Robert Steinway.” Immediately everyone started clapping as Robert made his appearance. Andreas looked up on the face of the man and then looked away in confusion. He searched the crowd for Edmund. He wasn’t in the room. Andreas cut from the room and went down one of the hallways sliding by staff members going in the opposite direction. Andreas found his way to Edmund’s bedroom. His gold plated name plaque still hanging. He opened the door and wasted no time going in,

“Where is Augustus? I just saw…..” Andreas paused. There was no Edmund in here. He turned to leave to track him down right away. However, as he started to go through the doorway he put a hand on the door frame. He looked back over his shoulder and then turned back slowly. He eyes fell upon the bed that hadn’t been made. That wasn’t typical of Edmund. He then moved his eyes to the bookshelf. All of it had been cleared off. Andreas rushed to the closet, all of Edmund’s clothes missing except for one of his palace uniforms. The prince looked in the corner something caught his eye. He walked over and picked up the glittery gold object. Tipped on it’s side was one of Andrea’s toy soldiers. He gave it to Edmund after learning the boy didn’t have any toys when they were little. Andreas looked at it and stared at it as memories rushed back.

“So you know…” a low voice called out from the doorway blocking the light of the hallway. Andreas clutched the soldier and looked up shaking his head. The new figure piped up in confusion. “They haven’t told you?” Andreas turned to face the character and give him his full attention.

“Told me what?”

“Edmund is gone, son. He and Augustus both. No ones done told us a bloody thing ‘bout it. The king’s men done come in here and snatched them up. Theys been havin’ thoughts it was because yous two broke the royal/servant codes of conduct. You was always sneakins around here when you know his majesty wouldn’t been havin’ it.” the man was not good with his language, but he was a gentle giant that held his position as a cook for years. Andreas knew him well. However, his words were clear enough to understand what had happened. Andreas stared at the cook and then down at the soldier in his grip.

“Edmund was my best friend. He wasn’t a servant in my eyes, why should I treat him as such. None of you are servants….you are friends.” Andreas spoke out and looked back up for some kind of help understanding all of what was happening to him right now.

“Yous might not be thinkin’ that, but your daddy sure is.” The cook shrugged, “Maybe it wasn’t that at all. Maybes theys was a-takin’ things that weren’t theirs. We don’t know, son. Nothin’s been said.” The cook shrugged and watched Andreas. He frowned and moved on down the hallway wobbling his large body as he walked. Andreas looked down as the light of the hallway lit up the dark room again, the soldier in his hand catching the light once more. Andreas couldn’t help but let tears fall. Edmund wouldn’t steal things. He wouldn’t hurt anyone or lie or cause any trouble. Edmund grew pale. Where had he been sent? He didn’t have any family to go to for shelter. Was he homeless? Edmund put the soldier in his pocket and ran out of the servant’s quarter accidently knocking down a staff member as he ran. The prince pushed open the doors leading back to the grand hall and then into the royal living quarters, desperately searching for his father. He paused as he heard his father’s voice. He was in his study with a cigar lit. Andreas could see there were other officials in the study with him but that didn’t stop him from marching past them and leaning over his father’s desk.

“We need to talk, father.” King Hans laughed and looked at his friends,

“I’d love to chat, but I’m in the middle of a meeting, Andreas. It can wait.” the king rose to his feet and came around his desk and took Andreas’s elbow and began to direct him out of the room. Andreas pulled away and leaned closer to his father.

“If you care at all about me and my well being over which cigars are the finest, you will ask these gentlemen to leave. You aren’t saving the world, father. So stop acting like it. Cuba’s finest can wait.” Andreas whispered. The king looked up and nodded. He turned and dismissed the men for a moment leaving Andreas and his father alone. The king returned to his desk.

“So please….enlighten me to what has you so distraught. You have my full attention.”

“Where is Edmund? Edmund Klein and Augustus Harper….” Andreas searched his father’s face. The king looked down and sighed.

“Andreas, they did not uphold the standards that I require my staff to live by. I asked them to leave”

“Edmund would never leave. He would never leave everything he has ever known!”

“They couldn’t stay here, Andreas.” The king sighed hoping Andreas would understand, “If I let them stay they would be a poor influence on the rest of the staff. They have to know that I take morals and values seriously.”

“What did Edmund do to possibly be worthy of your hate?”

“It is irrelevant and only my business. I’m sorry, son. They are being well taken care of until they can begin their new lives. They will be fine, they just don’t have a place on my staff anymore.” Andreas wanted to scream at his father’s words. He shook his head and paced a little before stopping.

“Where did you send them? Are they even in Berlin anymore?” Andreas snapped. Arguing with his father would get him nowhere. He learned years ago the danger that disrespect brought. His father rose to his feet looking at Andreas sternly.

“I forbid you, Andreas, to go looking for either of them. They will corrupt you. Their crimes do not deserve sympathy. If I hear that you are out searching for them, I will take away your privileges away one by one until you are forbidden to leave your living quarters. Do I make myself clear?”

“I’m 21 father! You can’t forbid me from leaving my room!!!! I am an adult by every standard!”

“Do I make myself clear or not?” his father repeated slower and in a lower, angrier tone. Andreas had tears in his eyes. He didn’t sob or release a noise. He simply bowed to his father and turned storming out of the study. The gentlemen poured back into the room curious of the situation. Andreas’ tight-lipped father only picked up the next cigar on their list and examined it joyfully. Andreas ran to the stables that were once filled with horses. Today they were remodeled and held the royal family’s most precious automobiles. He approached a man who was guarding the exit of the garage.

“Richard, I hate to disturb you, however, could you tell me…..”

“Shhh...keep your voice down. I’m not sure what you are going to say, but I’m sure if you sent someone to the Chateau de Francis, you will find what you have lost.” The man went back to standing guard and staring out the window for anyone approaching. Andreas smiled widely and hugged the man before running back to his room. He hurried to get out of his morning robe and into his normal clothes. He scribbled a note to Edmund. He could have someone deliver it, but who would be willing to go against the king for him? Edmund sealed the letter with the royal seal and got up slipping it in his pocket. He left the corridor and pretended to be going on a walk similar to his morning routine. However, instead of looking for peace and quiet, he scouted out the staff members. Which one could help him with his task. The florist left everyday. She would be great, however, she was a gossip queen and she might leak her mission to the wrong people. The baker never left, the guards couldn’t be sent on this mission, the maids wouldn’t do it; Andreas wasn’t able to think of a soul that could help him. It would have to be someone who would have to leave the palace at some point. However, someone who wouldn’t open their mouths about it. Someone who was naive enough to just go with what they were told. Andreas’ head popped up. He walked casually to the kitchens.

“Time to break in the new kid.”