Status: In Progress

A World Alone

Chapter Nine: Questions and Answers

Lionel smiled as he received a humorous text from Thalia. He chuckled and Gerard smiled at him, "Thalia?" he asked. Leo nodded and texted Thalia back briefly before focusing on the game of FIFA. "I miss her…" Leo sighed. The last time the couple saw each other face to face was a month ago and Lionel feared that she would start drifting away from him.

"That's adorable," Shakira smiled. The singer knew that Lionel really cared about Thalia and she knew that Thalia felt the same way. She absolutely knew how it felt to have a long distance relationship and she knew how sad she'd be if Gerard and her schedules always clashed badly and they'd have to wait a few days before they could finally Skype. "When's the next time you're going to see each other?" she asked.

The World Cup was coming in a matter of three weeks and the boys were already so busy with training, Shakira was already starting to see less of Gerard. When the World Cup started, most of the coaches didn't allow their families to come to the first opening games so that the boys could focus on winning the competition.

"I'm not sure," Lionel sighed. "The World Cup's coming up and Sabella doesn't want our families there until we complete the first two games. He doesn't want any distractions at all. We have to be on top and that's all he cares about." Lionel sighed sadly as he looked down at his hands. Shakira frowned and glanced at Gerard. The couple were expecting their first child and Gerard absolutely hated the fact that he wouldn't be able to keep in touch with Shakira so much throughout the World Cup. Shakira was just two months along and she was barely showing, but she still needed to go to a lot of doctor's appointments.

"Why don't you ask her to visit you?" Gerard asked as he paused the FIFA game to talk to the Argentine. "Sabella won't mind if she visits you on the third game, right?" Gerard added. Lionel nodded as he thought about it, "Maybe I will."

-

"Want to go out for dinner?" Olivia asked Thalia. Thalia nodded and finished typing up a report before sending it in an email to her boss. She grabbed her coat and her bag before standing up and headed to the elevator with Olivia. The two talked amongst themselves when someone called out to Olivia. "Liv! Are you up for dinner? I don't have any plans."

"I'm going out to Thalia. But you can come along if it's okay with Thalia." Olivia offered, turning to Thalia who nodded in agreement. She recognised the guy as Matthew, someone who worked on the same floor as her but she never really had the time to talk to. Olivia sat close by to his desk, so they talked more often.

Matthew grabbed his coat and his bag and walked over to the two girls before getting into the elevator with them. Matthew smiled at Thalia, "Hey, I'm Matthew Delgado." he said, introducing himself to Thalia who nodded politely and shook his hand. "I'm Thalia Morales." she smiled.

The elevator doors opened and the three of them headed to a nearby restaurant. After getting a table and ordering, they settled into a nice conversation about the World Cup. "Do you thick Argentina have a shot this year?" Olivia asked Matthew who nodded. "Definitely! I think Messi's going to lead our country to victory." Matthew beamed. Thalia's heart fluttered at the sound of her boyfriend's name.

The two haven't talked in a while and she was starting to wonder if Lionel still cared about her. Olivia grinned at Matthew, "You think? Messi's a great player."

Matthew nodded, "We also have Higuain, di Maria, Lavezzi, Maxi Rodriguez, Agüero and more. Sabella's a great manager as well." he mused. Their food came and they started eating, still chatting about the football world. Matthew seemed pretty nice and he was pretty good looking with blue eyes and light brown hair. After they finished their food, they payed the bill and the three were off.

Olivia had to rush since she was taking a ride on the bus. Since Thalia missed the bus that went by her house and her car was in the shop, she was forced to walk seven blocks. "Well, see you around, Matthew." Thalia smiled politely, starting to walk away from him. "Where do you live?" Matthew asked. Thalia raised her eyebrow, feeling slightly uncomfortable with his question. "Er, around here. Why?" she asked. Matthew shrugged, "It's late. Want me to walk you home?" he asked.

Thalia shrugged, it was pretty late and she didn't mind some company while she walked. Thalia nodded, "Okay. Sure." she mumbled. They started walking and making small talk but all Thalia was thinking about was Lionel and their late night Skype calls. They reached Thalia's house after a while of walking and talking. "Thanks, Matthew." Thalia smiled politely before waving at him and walking into the house.

"Whoa," Theo murmured as Thalia walked in the house. Theo was watching TV when the sound of his sister and another guy talking made him race to the window. "Where's Leo? I thought that was him." Theo added. Thalia shook her head, "That's just a coworker. I'm going to go, don't stay up too late, you have a game tomorrow." Thalia instructed sternly as if she were his mother.

She ran upstairs and opened her laptop and smiled when she saw the green icon beside Lionel's username. She quickly clicked on 'call' and he picked up within a matter of seconds, his face popping up on the screen. "Hola, hermosa." Lionel grinned. Thalia blushed at him, "Hola," she giggled.

Lionel smiled at his girlfriend, he felt so lucky that he had her in his life. "Listen, I have to talk to you about something," Leo started. Thalia nodded, and brushed her hand through her hair. "What's up?" she asked. "I want you at the World Cup with me. I want you there cheering on me and for our country. Would you please?" he asked Thalia sweetly, his eyes wide as he awaited her answer. Thalia was taken aback but she knew she wouldn't want to spend her summer anywhere else.

She smiled widely and nodded, "Yes."
♠ ♠ ♠
x