Status: In Progress

A World Alone

Chapter Eight: Just Fine

-3rd person.
Thalia took in a sharp breath and bit her lip to stop it from quivering. She dragged the suitcase into the airport with heavy steps. Lionel held on to her free hand as the two found a place to sit. The place was quiet, just a few small families waiting for their flights to be called out.

Olivia was with her cousins a few feet away. Thankfully, they understood that Thalia and Lionel wanted to be alone and that they shouldn't crowd the footballer. Lionel was wearing a hat so that he could blend into the crowd.

The two had spent the previous night in each other's company. Lionel went to training, then picked her up and gave her a personal tour of Barcelona. The two then went out to dinner and had stayed up very late since Lionel insisted that he wanted to spend every minute with her before she left.

Thalia had felt like she had cried all her tears. She was starting to get a migraine from all the crying and she wished that she could just stay with Lionel forever. Her flight was boarding in half an hour and she had never been so scared of the future before. She wanted to stay with Lionel. In the span of four weeks, Thalia had gotten so attached to him than any other person she's met before and she was scared of letting go.

"Come on, Thalia. We're going to be fine, okay?" Lionel said reassuringly, resting his hand on the small of her back. Thalia nodded and wiped away her tears. Thalia had always been a strong girl ever since her parents divorced when she was 16. She taught herself not to cry in front of other people since it made her look weak and small. But in this case, she didn't care.

"I'm just so…scared," she muttered, breathing in through her nose. "Of what?" Leo asked, moving closer to his girlfriend. "Of whatever comes next." Thalia replied. The brunette had opted not to where makeup since she knew she would end up crying her eyes out.

Lionel sighed and turned Thalia so that she was looking at him. "Hey, Thalia. Don't worry, okay? Nothing's going to happen to us. We'll stay together, I promise." Lionel said reassuringly before pressing his lips to Thalia's.

He held her close to him, closing his eyes tightly as his own tears rolled down his cheeks. Olivia walked over to them and cleared her throat, "I'm so sorry but we have to go, Thalia. The flight boards in fifteen minutes." Olivia muttered. Lionel and Thalia broke apart and Olivia walked away to give them some space. Lionel sighed and wiped away Thalia's tears. He sighed and looked around the airport before taking his hat off. He passionately kissed Thalia, keeping his hands on her waist.

He pulled away and pressed his forehead against hers, "I have to tell you something." he breathed. "What?" Thalia asked, looking into his eyes. "I love you, Thalia Lorena Morales." he finished, pressing his lips to hers one more time. "And I love you, Lionel Andrés Messi." Thalia murmured with a small smile before pulling away from him. "I love you, okay? I'll see you soon." Thalia smiled sadly before following Olivia to the gate, ready to board her flight.

-

Lionel huffed as he skidded to a halt. Gerardo Martino had the team running laps around the pitch as a warm-up exercise. It was just his 2nd lap and Lionel was already exhausted. He leaned down and wiped his forehead. "You okay, Leo?" Xavi Hernandez asked, stopping beside his teammate. The Argentine looked up at his captain and nodded, "I'm just a bit off."

Everyone knew that Thalia had left and had sent her messages the night before saying goodbye and wishing her a safe flight. Xavi didn't blame Leo for not concentrating. This was a hard day for him and the captain didn't want to pressure him. "We've got to be in tip-top shape for the game. Come on, Thalia would want you winning." Xavi smiled. Leo nodded and started running alongside Xavi.

-

"Thalia!" Theo Morales smiled as he stood up from his spot on his bed to greet his elder sister. Theo was currently playing for Boca Juniors' youth team but he was yet to make his debut. Ever since Thalia and Theo were little, they always loved FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi was everything Theo hoped to be. Thalia wanted to tell Theo that she was in a relationship with the footballer, but she didn't want to unless she got Leo's permission.

"How are you, Theo?" Thalia asked with a small smile as she ruffled her brother's hair. The plane ride was filled with sad songs flowing from her earphones. Olivia didn't try to talk to her since she knew that Thalia would rather be alone.

"I'm doing great. Tell me about the Barca games. I can't wait to hear about Messi's goals." Theo smiled at his elder sister as the two sat down on the floor to talk about Messi's skills.

-

Thalia sighed and logged into her Skype account. She hoped that Lionel wasn't busy. She had missed him so much already and though a mere video call wouldn't make up for the long distance, she was willing to do it.

She smiled when she saw the small green dot beside Lionel's name. She called him and he immediately picked up. "Hey." Thalia greeted. "Hola." Lionel greeted back with a small smile, his dimples indenting on both his cheeks.

Before the two knew it, they launched into a conversation that lasted at least half an hour. "Leo?" Thalia murmured. "Yeah?" Lionel asked as he put down his phone. "We're going to be fine, right?" Thalia asked, biting her lip to stop it from quivering. Lionel's eyes softened as he looked at Thalia through the laptop screen. "Of course. We're going to be just fine."
♠ ♠ ♠
x